Welcome to .: The Snitch Harry Potter Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

the fight between Voldemort and Dumbledore in the Ministry

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

Hermione Granger 19

Hermione Granger 19

.:Chaser:.

• .:Snitch Members:.
  • PipPip
  • 140 posts
  • I am a:Witch
  • House:Gryffindor
Hey you guys. I loved the 5th film, but there was one thing that I really disliked about it, which was - as you can read in the thread headline - the fight between Voldemort and Dumbledore in the Ministry of Magic. I don't know about you, but I thought it was too much like the 'priori incantatem' happening in the fourth one. From the point when they start fighting with water and fire the fight is simply brilliant, but the connection between the wands is not logical - that would mean he used Harry's wand - 1. why should he do that and 2. he would have had to pick it up since it was forced out of his hand by Voldemort. So I didn't like that part.

Now it's your turn - what do you think?
Posted Image

lms

lms

.:Medic:.

• Pip
  • 37 posts
I think the special effects in this scene were great, but cannot understand why they had Dumbledore falling over, as far as I recall he never did that. It makes Dumbledore look the weaker wizard and we know he most certainly is not.
I had never thought about the way the wands seem to connect, but you are right it was a stupid thing to add.

Hermione Granger 19

Hermione Granger 19

• PipPip
  • 140 posts
But from Voldemort breathing fire it's the greatest fight I've ever seen. Yeah, DD falling over made him look weak, but remember DD saying 'Voldemort has powers I will never have' (in the books!). So it's kinda justified.
I liked the idea with the windows breaking and Voldemort making the pieces fly towards DD and Harry - it was great.
When the Daily Prophet people take the picture of DD holding Harry, you can see the centaur figure lying behind them. I don't actually recall seeing it being destroyed during the fight. Do you?
Posted Image

lms

lms

.:Medic:.

• Pip
  • 37 posts
I still don't think Dumbledore falling over is justified even though he said that" Voldermort has powers I will never have". I don't think Dumbledore meant that, but that's just my opinion. I would have liked them to do the seen where Dumbledore appears at the golden gates, that to me would have shown just what a powerful and amazing wizard he was. and I would of liked to see the statues come alive, still you can't have everything!

Hermione Granger 19

Hermione Granger 19

• PipPip
  • 140 posts
But a statue lying around - broken although it's not been destroyed???

If it had been hit by sth - okay I could live with, but it hasn't!
Posted Image

johnsgage

johnsgage

.:Towel Boy/Girl:.

• Pip
  • 1 posts
It wasn't priori incantatem. Priori incantatem turns the streams gold and can actually be produced by pretty much any powerful wizard just like a normal spell. In the book they used it on harry's wand to find out that an elf had used the wand to produce a dark mark. A normal priori incantatem reproduces the spells cast by the wand in reverse order. Twin cores is not a requisite, simply a phenomena in that twins cores produce not only the golden stream, but that wierd sort of fog as well as ghosts of the people the wand had killed in reverse order

jennjennjenn

jennjennjenn

.:Towel Boy/Girl:.

• Pip
  • 1 posts

It wasn't priori incantatem. Priori incantatem turns the streams gold and can actually be produced by pretty much any powerful wizard just like a normal spell. In the book they used it on harry's wand to find out that an elf had used the wand to produce a dark mark. A normal priori incantatem reproduces the spells cast by the wand in reverse order. Twin cores is not a requisite, simply a phenomena in that twins cores produce not only the golden stream, but that wierd sort of fog as well as ghosts of the people the wand had killed in reverse order

Yeah, that's right. Though i'm sure the streams were at least partially intended to be a cgi showoff, i do think that part plays a role in the plot and character development. You see wizards deflecting spells all the time with their wands, so is it that hard to imagine that the two most powerful wizards in the world would be able to deflect a spell well before it was just inches in front of them like every one else does. Not to mention that sheer power of big streams like that, aside from the "accidental" happening with harry and voldemort, that power isnt seen in any other duel. You never see neville producing big streams like that, so i think it does a pretty good job in trying show how powerful the two are compared to anyone else. As for the whole falling thing, yeah i guess it was kind of a cheap shot but i think that it plays a role in the characters as well. It was said dumbledore was the only wizard voldemort feared but that does not imply that dumbledore is stronger that voldemort. Even in the ministry battle, dumbledore had the all powerful elder wand but he still wasn't able to actually defeat voldemort. After all, if dumbledore were stronger why wouldnt he just kill voldemort himself. The falling down thing i think showed that indeed voldemort was more powerful, since he was able to more or less remain unaffected by dumbledores spells and still have the abilty to blow him away and take him by suprise

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users