Welcome to .: The Snitch Harry Potter Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Beginnings: The Great Purification

• Please log in to reply
98 replies to this topic

*Liliana*

*Liliana*

The Storyteller

• .:Snitch Members:.
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6,969 posts
  • I am a:Witch
  • House:Ravenclaw
Hello! I hope you enjoy my dear story. And thank you for reading.

This fanfiction is the sequel to my story, Beginnings: The Keeper of Swyn Llyfr. Without reading that fic, you probably won't understand this one. Nonetheless, I welcome all readers who love a story mixed with mystery, suspense, romance, and the Marauder era!

Taking place one year after The Keeper of Swyn Llyfr, this story continues the legend of the most powerful book of ancient magic and the war that it starts between all magical races. Voldemort is at his full height of power, while the rest of the magical world tries to either conform to his reign or to fight against him. By destroying Swyn Llyfr, the Order of the Phoenix believes they can stop the war and find a way to defeat Voldemort. But to do that, they need the help of two witches: Lily Evans Potter and Riona Dyrdra, the keepers of Swyn Llyfr.

Disclaimer: All things in this story that do not belong to JK Rowling are mine. Please do not use this story without my permission. Rated PG-13 for violence, sexual innuendo, and language.

-----------------------------------------------------

Beginnings: The Great Purification

Chapter 1: The Keepers of Swyn Llyfr

Chapter 2: A Vision From the Past

Chapter 3: The Secrets Are Out

Chapter 4: Purity is Perfection

Chapter 5: Have a Little Faith

Chapter 6: Twilight Encounters

Chapter 7: The Ties That Bind

Chapter 8: The Tempus Navigatus Potion

Chapter 9: The Clinch

Chapter 10: The Hooting Owl

Chapter 11: Unlocking Secrets

Chapter 12: No Way Back

Chapter 13: Swyn Llyfr's Empath

Chapter 14: Astra's Gift

Chapter 15: The Nostalgia of Possibilities ---> COMING SOON!

======

Prologue

To purify the blood, to cleanse the wizarding race, to install a new order.

We know the truth.

Swyn Llyfr was the means, but the Great Purification was the goal. This is what we fought against. Separately we could achieve nothing, but united we made our voices heard against Him. Even until the very end.

Listen to our voices - the voices of the outcasts, the exiled, and the oppressed.

Listen to our story, and remember us.

~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

1. The Keepers of Swyn Llyfr

I have never liked dresses, and this night reminded me why.

Tugging the dress's dark blue train after me, I sighed as I sunk into a sleek velvet chair just beside the veranda. With the glass French doors open, the evening's breeze cooled my heated face. I rubbed my aching ankle while I glanced around to make sure no one I knew sat beside me. The last thing I wanted was for someone to recognize me. A witch who had tripped three times over her uncooperative dress, succeeded in breaking two trays of wine glasses, and slammed into a group of Veela singers when she tried to get up - these were sure indications that Lily Evans Potter was walking around, or at least trying to.

"The magic...the magic that I found in your eyes," one Veela crooned, her voice magically amplified. The rest of her backup singers swung and danced around to the rhythm, winking at the crowd of drooling wizards who surrounded the stage. I noticed that one Veela was less than merry, seeing as I had accidentally given her a black eye. Laughter and excited chatter rang in the grand ballroom, with fairy lights twinkling above, tamed trolls juggling balls of fire as they trumped through the crowd, and dwarves deftly wandering around, holding trays filled with delectably smelling hors d'oeuvres.

"I've been looking for you everywhere!" whispered a voice from beside me. I jumped in my seat, feeling as though my heart flew to my throat. I smiled and nodded at an elderly couple that trotted past while glancing at me curiously. Then I turned to the invisible voice, eyes narrowed.

"Speaking to invisible people won't exactly keep my cover. Why did you follow me? I'm trying to live a normal life."

"You call sneaking into Frank and Alice's engagement party normal?" James hissed.

"Well, you decided to come in your Invisibility Cloak, not me," I said, tossing my head. "I just want to have a nice time. Besides, I couldn't not go to Alice's engagement party. It's the least I can do, since I can't be her maid of honor."

"Because we're on the run from a bloodthirsty dark wizard and dozens of wizards who are trained to kill us on sight," James retorted. He sighed, and I could sense that he was trying not to laugh. "You do try to do the impossible, don't you?"

"It's not impossible for us to have a normal life," I whispered, renewing the magic of my white panther mask by tapping it lightly with my wand. One drunken wizard, whose disenchanted hog mask now looked more like a bulky potato sitting over his face, tottered to the resplendent banquet table, demanding more fire whiskey. The serving dwarf flatly refused, and they began bickering.

James and I grew quiet until the wizard discreetly knicked a bottle of berry rum and ran off. "I'm sorry that you have to hide here," he said quietly. "I wish we could celebrate with everyone else, too, but..."

I nodded, knowing what he was going to say. But we aren't like everyone else. I felt him press my shoulder in comfort, and I smiled. "I'll just sit here for a while...we still haven't seen Remus and Riona, even though they promised they would return for this. We don't know when we'll see them again. And I want to talk to Alice before we go."

"I'll search for the first two, and you look for Alice," James whispered. And the breeze that his body had blocked while beside me blew against my face again. He never liked sitting still, that husband of mine. After so many months of chasing Death Eaters, we'd been ordered by Dumbledore to remain at home since there were rumors that Muggleborns were being rounded up from the streets. Though he wouldn't admit it, I knew James was glad to leave the house, even if he had to chase after me to do it. He should thank me.

A tall wizard in black robes, his stride purposeful as he walked toward me, broke my train of thought. He held out a gloved hand to me, and then gestured to the couples gliding over the floor to the Veelas' melody.

"Um, well...I have a contagious disease. Sorry," I lamely said, making sure my face was fully masked.

But the wizard only stood before me, impassive behind his fox-shaped mask, which completely hid his face, even his eyes, from me. Realizing that he wasn't going to go away, I stood up. "Look, thank you for the offer, but-"

I gasped in surprise as he grabbed my hand and placed his other on my waist, taking full command. I didn't have to time to be annoyed by his presumption, for he instantly led me around the dance floor, weaving through the beaming couples. Edgar Bones was dancing with his wife Gloria, Gideon Prewett was doing a jig with his sister Molly, and Marlene McKinnon was hanging on the arm of a yawning Sirius Black. But crying out would only cause unnecessary attention.

Poking my haughty dance partner in the chest, I hissed, "Whoever told you women liked to be hauled over the dance floor?"

He seemed oblivious to my protests, for he was glancing over my shoulder every few minutes or so at the arched entrance. I tried to follow his gaze, but he turned me away toward a cluster of tables where one plump woman was tidily eating a treacle tart and brightly bobbing her head to the music.

Without a word, the wizard dropped me one of the chairs and stalked off. I was left gaping at him, not knowing whether to go after him or throw a glass of berry rum at his stiff back.

"Beautiful voices, haven't they?" the witch asked me, patting her mouth with a long flowered napkin that seemed like her own possession, then tucking the napkin into her collar. "Too bad the Veelas already know how beautiful they are, though," she chuckled, as three wizards argued over who was strongest while the Veelas giggled and egged them on. A passing troll, irritated by the noise, tripped the loudest wizard, who fell on one of the Veelas. The Veela began to screech in protest, smoothing her rustled white blonde hair.

"And what is your name, my dear?" asked the elderly witch, her silver hair glistening as several fairies flew over our table.

I glanced around for Alice anxiously, but she was nowhere near. It seemed ridiculous that I couldn't spot Alice, since she and Frank were the only ones not wearing masks. "Petunia," I replied without thinking. Then I wrinkled my nose. That was the best cover-up I could invent?

"Well, Petunia, I see that the mysterious wizard finally caught you at last." Her warm brown eyes twinkled as she noticed my irritation. "Don't play coy! "He's been staring at you from afar the entire night. I was wondering when he would make his move!"

"What did you say your name was?" I asked distractedly.

"Oh, excuse me! Bathilda Bagshot, my dear. If I weren't the childhood friend of Frank's mother, I wouldn't have come to this party. Reading a good book by the fireside is more my style. But this treacle tart more than makes up for it," she added, finishing the pastry and patting her mouth once more.

"Nice to meet you - uh, have you seen Alice or Frank around?"

"Why, yes! Alice was just over there by that mountain of presents," Bathilda said, pointing a finger at a large table to the left, which was truly mountainous with hundreds of gifts. Two trolls were shaking several, placing them near their ears as if to guess their contents.

"Hope to see you soon, Petunia!" Bathilda called cheerily after me as I went through the crowd, careful not to draw attention while trying to walk as fast I could. Finally, I found Alice, dressed in peach-colored robes with diamond barrettes in her curled golden hair. She was scolding the two grumbling trolls.

"You were hired to entertain, not to be entertained," Alice was saying in her light voice, which, when angry, only became shrill.

Both trolls grunted in response, took up the balls of fire they had set dangerously near the presents, and trudged off to entertain the rest of the wizards and witches. Alice sighed, looking utterly exhausted.

"Smile! This is supposed to be your special day," I whispered, patting her on the shoulder.

Alice quickly turned, her blue eyes wide. "Oh, I was wondering if you would make it! I'm so glad you're here, Lily."

I hushed her. "I just came for a bit. That present," I added, pointing to a small, rectangular, gold paper wrapped gift on top of the pile, "Is rom your best friend. And I won't say that you'll like it, even though I've always wanted a portkey that transports me to every magical village all over the world."

We both laughed, and Alice clutched my hands in a mixture of apprehension and excitement. "I've had to calm down these trolls from incinerating the room, keep the dwarves from knicking food, and stop the fairies from untying the balloons. And that was just this past hour! It's been a headache organizing all of this - especially with Frank always away, but I think it turned out well, don't you?"

At that moment, the cheery atmosphere broke as the crowd burst into apprehensive murmurs. The Veelas stopped singing, crowding together upon the stage, and even their admirers had turned around to face the arched entryway. Frightened from the sudden tension in the room, each of the fairies turned their lights off, so that the room was cast into darkness.

In the faint moonlight from outside the archway, ten hooded wizards stood in front, their black masks only open at the eyeholes and at the mouth, with their wands held upright. Everyone looked at them warily, expecting the worst. Many couples retreated to the sides of the room, clutching each other in fear and in a vain attempt at protection.

Beside me, Alice grasped my arm tightly. Frank had walked to the wizards, his shoulders set.

"This is a private party. What business do you have here?"

"Though you are an Auror, you have no right to interfere in Ministry business," said the tallest Death Eater. My stomach turned over as I noticed he had no left arm. "We, the Imperials, carry out the Ministry's wishes. Will you dare get in our way?"

But Frank remained calm. "If you have business here, then let me know so that I can help you. I don't want to startle my guests."

"By the looks of it, they seem startled already," said another Death Eater, laughing. She looked around and chuckled as some cringed under her cold blue-eyed gaze. "But the Ministry of Magic only has everyone's best interests at heart, I promise you."

"That is why we are here to arrest those under serious suspicion of treason to the Ministry, continued another of the Imperials. Holding out a long parchment, he studied Frank closely. "As a pureblood, I'm sure you will cooperate..."

Oh, no. Dumbledore had been right. Alice and I exchanged frightened looks. Quietly, Alice gestured to me to duck behind the gift table. Though I knew a table wouldn't stop the Death Eaters, I did as I was told and dug my wand out of my pocket.

The armless wizard stepped around Frank and looked around. "Tsk, tsk, Longbottom...you are a pureblood, and you hire trolls as a form of entertainment? You won't mind if we look around, I'm sure..."

Suddenly I felt someone crouch down next to me, and I smelled James’s familiar amber-scented aftershave. In relief, I whispered, “Thank God you’re here. I was afraid – ”

“I found a back entrance. Come under the cloak.”

Before I knew it, James had spread the sheen material over my head. Alice glanced down where we had been and nodded, then went to join Frank.

“If you’re looking for Muggleborns, you’ll find none here. Like you said, Frank’s family and mine are purebloods,” Alice was saying, her voice shaky.

“Unfortunately, there have been many blood traitors who are disloyal to the Ministry,” snapped the armless wizard as fellow Death Eaters wondered through the crowd, demanding everyone’s wand to check each identity. Three wizards and one witch were petrified as soon as hissing smoke emitted from their wands’ tips, the sign of a registered Muggleborn.

“Then you’re one of those traitors,” Alice retorted, hands on hips. “Killing a Muggleborn is as treasonous as killing a pureblood!”

The icy silence that followed was filled with unspoken words of fear. Alice looked surprised that she had spoken, but the Death Eaters crowded around her and Frank, who tightened his hold on her hand.

“She’s very nervous,” Frank apologized, though his tone didn’t sound apologetic at all – instead, he sounded rather proud. “You have to understand – ”

“It is you who doesn’t understand!” shrieked the Death Eater witch as James and I carefully walked behind the banquet tables and headed toward a door underneath the grand staircase. “The Ministry has already incarcerated many dark creatures and blood traitors who kill your children in the night – we are ensuring that wizards take their true place in this world, and all you have to show for our efforts is ingratitude! The only thing worse than a mudblood is a pureblood traitor!” She spat on Alice’s face.

Frank immediately pushed the Death Eater, who retaliated by blasting Frank across the room with a flick of her wand. Alice screamed as Frank was bombarded by two other Death Eaters, who launched curse after curse at Frank’s body, which lay on the floor as limply as a rag doll.

Pandemonium broke out – wizards and witches tried to flee out of the doorway and the windows, tripping and pushing each other away in their frightened haste. Trolls let out angry cries as Death Eaters fought to control them, while the dwarves disappeared in whirls of blue light and the Veela transformed into hideous, beaked creatures, screeching as other Death Eaters aimed silencing spells at them.

I tugged on James’s sleeve. “We can’t leave everyone like this!”

His face sweaty from the heat underneath the cloak, James eyed the scene before us carefully and nodded. “Follow me.”

Under the cloak, we dove straight into the screaming crowd, who didn’t pay attention to our jostling since everyone was doing the same. From the corners of my eyes I saw Sirius and Edgar dueling the Death Eaters who had caught the Muggleborns, while Marlene was helping the Veela and trolls fight off other Death Eaters. James aimed his wand at one Death Eater who was banging Frank’s head against the marble floor with a levitating charm, and instantly the wizard fell back, groaning in pain as blood seeped through his pant leg.

“Do your stuff, and I’ll do mine,” James whispered, kissing me and then jumping out from underneath the cloak. He whirled on the other Death Eater, who shouted in surprise and began hurling hexes that James swiftly blocked.

Clutching the Invisibility Cloak around me, I hurried to Alice, who had fallen to the floor as she screamed in pain, her body violently shaking. The Death Eater witch stood over her, wand aimed, laughing.

Closing my eyes, I felt the surge of energy rise within me as I concentrated on the Death Eater’s laughter and on Alice’s screams. “Spit on this,” I snapped. The Death Eater whirled to face my direction, squinting to see who spoke.

A ball of electricity appeared in my hand, and I hurled it right at the Death Eater’s face. She screeched, her body vibrating from the shock.

Ancillius,” I murmured, pointing my wand at Alice. Instantly, a shield of light covered her unconscious body, protecting her from the onslaught of curses that zoomed around us.

“That was the Empath!” shouted the armless wizard, pointing somewhere in my direction. “That was her magic! Don’t let her escape!”

There went my cover-up. I cast two protection spells, one in front and one in back, so that I could sprint underneath the spells that were launched in my direction. As soon as the charms began to wear off, I whirled around, raised my hands, and the spells that had aimed my way now turned on the Death Eaters. Each of them fell or cried out as they were petrified or stunned.

Just as I turned to run, someone grabbed me by the arm and pulled me into an open doorway, muffling my screams.

::: -- ::: -- ::: -- ::: -- ::: -- ::: -- :::

Achingly, I got up from the floor and brushed the forest’s dead leaves from my robes. This vision had been more painful than the others. I let out a shuddering sigh and draped my hood over my head. The cold night air stung my lungs, so I muttered a warming spell over myself and felt instantly relieved. But no spell could relieve the horrors of the visions I’d received these past few weeks.

A rustling noise in the thorn bushes startled me, and I whipped out my wand. When Remus came out of the shadows, however, I lowered but didn’t pocket it. “What are you doing here?”

“Remus J. Lupin, registered werewolf who likes chamomile tea mixed with berry rum before going to bed,” Remus said, arching his eyebrows expectantly. I smiled and lowered my wand.

“Sorry. Had to make sure.”

“I would’ve done the same,” Remus said. The moonlight hid the gray specks that were growing in his dark brown hair and the lines in his face – he almost looked his age. Frowning in concern, he came closer. “Are you all right?”

“Cold, that’s all,” I replied, my breaths coming out in warm clouds. “Did Vladimir crack?”

“No,” said Remus, running a hand over his tired face. “He’s refusing even to speak to me now. If he doesn’t tell us, who can?”

“You would think a vampire would know where the nearest banshee clan is, since vampires are the banshees’ notorious enemies,” I said dryly. Then I pursed my lips. “Do you think he suspects I’m –?”

“A banshee?” Remus said with a chuckle, scratching his three-day stubble. “It didn’t help when you said he would probably die a terrible death unless he told us where the banshees were. Really, Riona, did you have to scare off our only lead?”

“He was annoying me,” I said defensively, tossing my long black braid over my shoulder. “He’s too pretentious for a vampire. We might have garlic water or crucifixes hidden in our pockets, and he’s bold enough to say that he doesn’t speak to ‘wand holders’!”

“Next to banshees, wizards are high up on vampires' enemies list,” Remus said quietly. "Well, I say we give Vladimir another go, don’t you?”

I followed him out of the small park and into the outskirts of a village, nestled within the Himalayan Mountains. While the rest of the village was silent with sleep, we passed one house where raucous laughter spilled out from the lit windows. Peeking inside, I saw a bride and groom dancing in the middle of a crowd, with two Muggles jovially playing accordions as everyone skipped to the music.

“Oh, no,” Remus muttered, looking guilty as he also gazed at the party.

“What?”

“Today is September 17h, right? We missed Frank and Alice’s engagement party.”

“Well, this is more important. We already have some of the giants on our side. Finding banshee clans links us to many more magical creatures that we can obtain as allies.”

“Not to mention that banshees, as the protectors of Swyn Llyfr, might know about some powerful ancient magic that’s somehow related to the book,” Remus added, examining me out of the corner of his eyes. “But you won’t tell me what this magic can do.”

“It’s not that I don’t want to tell you, Remus. I can’t.” I lowered my voice as we started walking once again, this time headed toward a small brick cottage with smoke curling out of its chimney. “Whatever this ancient magic is, it will destroy Swyn Llyfr.”

“That’s all anyone needs to know, in other words.”

“Lily knows the rest,” I said. “And that’s enough, for now.”

“But you’ve been rambling about ancient magic and banshee protectors and Empathic powers for the last year,” Remus said. A note of frustration was evident in his voice, and I realized he had kept this suppressed for too long. “ I know you’ve been having visions for the past few weeks, but you don’t explain them to me. After all we’ve been through together, I would like to believe that you trust me. I only want to help.”

I didn’t know what to say, so I slowly placed my hand on his shoulder. I wanted him to know everything, but… “If I could tell you without fear that you could get hurt, then I would.”

Remus was silent for a moment, and then he quietly said, “Apparating to Vladimir’s house would’ve been easier. It’s too bad that he has protective amulets all over the place. We could’ve surprised him out of the confession. But as it is…” he walked past me and went to the front door, giving it three swift knocks.

A gaunt figure with disheveled dark blonde hair answered the door. His face was whiter than the snow that remained on the ground, but his eyes were as dark as the night. He scowled at Remus. “You again? Did I not tell you to leave me be?”

“Actually, you didn’t speak to me at all,” said Remus cheerfully, bowing. “So the situation has improved. May we come in?”

“I hope you did not bring that snooty wand holder – ”

“Actually, he did,” I snapped, standing next to Remus and looking Vladimir in the eye. “This snooty witch has a few more words to say.”

Vladimir’s blood red lips stretched into a smile, and his pointed teeth flashed in the moonlight. “You have no idea with whom you are bickering…”

“But it seems you don’t know, either,” Remus said. “You see, this witch is actually a banshee. And if you provoke her, she might scream…if you catch my drift.”

“Oh, don’t forget to tell Vladimir that you’re a werewolf,” I added, smiling at Vladimir, whose face was contorted with anger and a trace of fear. I glanced up at the crescent moon. “It’s almost full, isn’t it?”

“Fine,” Vladimir snapped. “These banshees, these Death Makers as my race calls them, are in the north, in the caverns of the old Druids. Now, leave me be!” With that, he slammed the door in our faces.

Remus turned to me with a grin. “That’s done, at least – ” but he broke off, catching me before I collapsed to the ground. My body began trembling, my throat began to thicken with bile, and the familiar sensation of pain shot up my veins. “Riona, what do you see? Riona!”

“It’s – Lily…” I gasped, and then surrendered myself to the banshee’s vision as a scream ripped out of my mouth.

Edited by *Liliana*, 12 August 2012 - 08:10 PM.

*Liza*

*Liza*

C'est moi

• Pip
  • 14 posts
  • House:Gryffindor
I haven't finished reading "The Keeper of Swyn Llyfr" yet but I couldn't resist the temptation of taking a look at the sequel. I just want to say a couple of words to each of your characters and then sort of give a general review.

Well, I'll start off with my favourite character: Lily. I love the way you let us in on her thoughts and emotions because that's something lots of writers forget to do but you write her perspective so convincingly that I am always able to sympathize with her. I also adore your portrayal of the James/Lily relationship a lot because it all seems so believable. Not the usual fluff, the two of them interact like any random husband and wife and that is strangely what makes them so special. That they're not just lovers, they're also friends and they have their little flaws and rows. Now back to Lily. I thought it was a good choice to let her start telling the story, it kind of fits her character. Always wanting to take the lead, energetic and vivacious. That is exactly how the first chapter is: Full of bubbling ideas and excitement.

Your Alice is almost as lovable as Lily. It was touching to see her so tense, naturally she wanted her engagement with Frank to be special in every possible way and I was very sorry that her day was spoilt like that. Sadly we didn't get so see that much of Frank, I love him. ^_^ James was sweet and quick-witted as always, sometimes I think his Animagus should have been a fox. Sly and clever. Anyway, Riona and Remus are back! I adore those two. They have so much chemistry and make an adorable couple. I'm an avid fan of Riona and I'm so glad she chose to redeem herself. She's made my day. :D

So all in all I'm looking forward to reading the second chapter already, this fiction is surely going to be just as exciting as its predecessor. Your writing style is great, especially the dialogues are enjoyable. Your characters interact a lot and the story itself flows well. I'm curious what will happen to our little heroes but I'm sure you've got more than enough in store for them. That's why your fics never get boring, because every sentence is full of suspence.

Update as soon as you can. ^__^

Probably the greener grass on the other side
is just artificial turf.

Until you've found something worth dying for,
you're not really living.

My Fanfictions:
A Beautiful Night .:. Did I Ever Tell You?

LaLaLuna

LaLaLuna

Countess Devil Spawn

• .:Forum Moderator:.
  • 7,537 posts
And we jump right into the action with this one, don't we? Always love the way you write action scenes.

In spite of Death Eaters taking over and the Wizarding world in turmoil, it's good to see life goes on. But I suppose that's like anything else in life, the world moves on with or without you.

Can't wait for the next chapter! ^_^

H

(p.s. was Sev that masked man? :D )

IKWT!

Beginnings:The Great Purification~by Liliana Muddied Black Blood~by Nicola
My Fics
Riddle and Secrets ~ Coming Full Circle ~ Living Memories ~ The Sorting of Priorities
Luna's Loss ~ A Summer's Day ~ Who Would Have Thought ~ Wilted Flower ~ Spring in the Air

FizzingWhizzbee

FizzingWhizzbee

sing like nobody's listening <3

• Pip
  • 65 posts
Wow, I wasn't expecting the sequel this soon! :o I'm so glad you've started it though, I like it already! ;) Very interesting meeting Bathilda in this chapter, and she likes treacle tart just like Harry! (Probably nothing of importance but I enjoyed that) :P Pity that Alice and Frank couldn't have just a peaceful, normal engagement party without it being broken up by Death Eaters, :P but if nothing ever happened to the characters then there wouldn't be much of a story! Loved it though, keep it up! :D

...FizzingWhizzbee...

...Ah, music...a magic far beyond all we do here...

nikcolarius

nikcolarius

.:Keeper:.

• PipPip
  • 321 posts
  • House:Hufflepuff
Liliana~~~Was pleased to see that you started on your sequel right away. I was wondering about the masked man that Lily danced with. I had a feeling that he is important to the story somehow.

And the saga continues...look forward to future posts :P
What Luna Sees~~My very first attempt at fanfiction. It has turned into my own version of DH, though with a much different spin on it. Enjoy everybody!

Feel free to check out my editorials using the editorial link from the main page.

Niena

Niena

*sparkle*

• Pip
  • 13 posts
Though I haven't read this fanfiction's predecessor, I was able to follow the storyline quite well and most of the characters are canon so I am familiar with them anyway. I really enjoyed the prologue and the first chapter. You write action scenes extremely well, I could picture everything quite vividly in my mind. Your original character, Riona, is very intriguing. I guess I am going to have to read The Keeper of Swyn Llyfr to learn something about her past and I hope I'll be able to do that soon. It was great to see that you included bits and pieces of the HP books, like Bathilda Bagshot and creatures JKR didn't waste much time on (i.e. Veelas, Vampires, Banshees). I'm also very curious what kind of vision Riona had, is she somehow connected to Lily and therefor saw that she was in danger? And what about the guy that danced with Lily, I have a feeling that there's a bit more to him than meets the eye.

So as you probably noticed from my review you had me spellbound to the very last word.

Update soon! ^__^

Purity once had a name,
And beauty once had a face.
Life once had a meaning,
And once I was safe.

Willowgrl

Willowgrl

Avid Reader

• PipPip
  • 151 posts
AND SO IT BEGINS AGAIN!

I love this story already Lils...especially Lily's part, very exciting! i love how you write her thoughts - she seems so real to me. also i like the ball. poor alice! but she and frank were very brave. and who's that masked man?

whats up with riona and remus? they seem strange with each other...and i wonder what riona saw?

PPMS :pirate: :snake: :angry:

*Liliana*

*Liliana*

The Storyteller

• PipPipPipPip
  • 6,969 posts
WELCOME BACK, MY DEAR READERS. I was so pleased to see your responses to the sequel's first chapter. It warmed my heart and - *is interrupted by Sirius and Remus, who urge Lils that she should go on to responding to comments before they walk out on her from sheer boredom*

Liza: Thank you very much for your wonderfully lengthy comment. I'm delighted that the character you can sympathize with is Lily. She, of course, is a complex but interesting character to write, so I make sure to put a lot of effort when I write about her. It's gotten to the point where she almost seems real to me [yes, a sign that I'm finally going nutters]. I think you hit the Lily/James relationship just right: they're just a normal couple, trying to make their way in the world by their love. Sounds corny, but that kind of love is worth writing about. I'm pleasantly surprised that you touched on Alice, since her cameo is kind of short, but an important one. Since we basically know nothing about her or Frank, it's been fun wondering what kind of characters they were. I think Alice is beginning to see what she's made of, since she has led a mostly sheltered life. Speaking out for Muggleborns was out of respect for Lily, but Alice is beginning to truly believe in the cause [notice that she's not so keen on respecting 'lower' magical creatures, like trolls, though]. You will see more of Frank, no worries! Haha, I'm glad you also like Remus and Riona. Their relationship is very different from James and Lily's, as you'll see soon. I'm so happy that you like the story so far! And you're right, there's plenty more to come...

Hanna: Thankees. Yes, action scenes are awesome - but tiring! - to write. Thank my obsession with Indiana Jones movies - I've always loved fast-paced action scenes. What makes the magical world so dangerous now is that life can go on normally, i.e. with weddings and such, but that normal things will soon have no futures. [*sigh* i.e., look where Alice and Frank end up] And yet, clutching on to normal things keeps the Order members safe. Though this fic is much darker than the prequel, it definitely has its light-hearted moments. And the masked stranger will be revealed in this chapter!

FizzingWhizzbee: Did I ever tell you how much I like your sceen name? LOL. It's very original. Anyway, thanks very much for jumping into this fic thread. I'm very happy you like the beginning chapter! Actually, I thought of Harry's fancy for treacle tarts when I was writing Bathilda Bagshot, so I suppose the memory leaked into the story. :pirate: Yes, the interruption of the engagement party will cause certain reactions, especially in Alice and Frank's relationship!

nikcolarius: Thank you for reading and commenting! ^___^ Your feeling about that masked man is quite right. You'll see what I mean...

Niena: Thank you so much! Yes, the prequel will give you much more information about the story and its characters, but I'm sure you can follow along despite that. If you need to, just trekk into the prequel whenever you really don't understand something. ^___^ Thanks for the compliment on the action scene - it was a lot of fun to write. Riona's past is especially revealed in this fic's predecessor...especially in the first half. I'm glad that you liked my observations on the magical creatures and Bathilda. They're going to play very important parts in this story, since "The Great Purification" deals with the purification of the world from magical creatures, who are "inferior" to true wizards. The vision and the masked stranger will be revealed in this chapter, no worries! Thanks for commenting!

Willow: Thankee much! I've had the ball and Lily's thoughts in the first chapter planned for the past month. Haha. So I'm glad you also liked it. All of your questions will be answered in this chapter, YAY!

~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~

2. A Vision From the Past

“But what did you exactly see, Riona?”

My forehead was dripping cold sweat, and my stomach was just beginning to settle. Remus gently held me up so that I could sit, but I continued to clutch his arm. “I…don’t know.”

“Was it about Lily? If so, I should go and alert her right away –”

“No…” I said faintly, frowning as I tried to remember. This vision was strange – it seemed to slip away from my memory. “It’s distorted…”

Remus was quiet for a moment, and then said, “Did you see Voldemort go after Lily again?”

“No. I said ‘Lily’ because I felt that the vision had something to do with her, somehow. It had to do something with me, too.” Suddenly, I took a deep breath and stood up, albeit shakily. “We have to see Lily.”

Remus grasped my shoulder. His eyes were intense, but his voice was kind. “Going back is too risky for you right now, what with the Ministry and Death Eaters after you. Let me go, instead – ”

“No, this vision was specific, Remus. It’s…some kind of message. I feel it. I’m not going to sit around and wait for you to come back. This vision could be about Swyn Llyfr, who knows? But Lily and I have to figure this out. She and I share dual protection of Swyn Llyfr, and only with both of our powers can we – ” But I forced myself to pause, for Remus’s eyes were widening in anger.

“Riona, how could you hide this from me? I’m involved, whether you like it or not – I’m involved with the Order, I’m even involved in your life – ”

“Now isn’t the time for that. Remus, I would appreciate your help, but if not, then I’ll go to England on my own.”

Shaking his head, Remus took out his wand. “I’m only doing this because I’m not going to let you shut me out this time.” He flicked his wand in the direction of our campsite, and after a few seconds (during which I wrung my hands and paced the ground impatiently), all of our things came flying to us in a bulky burlap bag. He handed it to me, and added dryly, “Even when you’re not around Lily, her impatience is rubbing off on you.”

“Who the hell are you?”

The wizard wearing the fox-shaped mask was only staring at me, as though he was evaluating me He placed a finger to his mouth, and then pointed outside in caution.

“Are you helping me?” I struggled against the incarceration spell, its ropes digging into my wrists and ankles. “You have a funny way of rescuing people. Now let me out of here, I need to go and help – ”

“Can’t you ever be quiet?” he snapped, his black robes billowing as he swiftly turned and stretched his left arm to pick something off a high shelf.

My eyes widened as I noticed a tattoo of a dark snake slithering around his forearm. It hissed at my gaze, its black tongue flickering. When the wizard turned back to me, I avoided looking at him.

“What are you doing, Severus?”

“It’s about time you recognized me,” Severus said dryly. He tapped his wand to his mask, and it faded away in a haze. Looking at him, I felt transported back five years. Then the thundering and screams from outside the door jarred me awake.

“Let me go. I can’t just sit here while people die!”

“Would you rather sacrifice your own life?” Severus barked, shaking his head. “If you had just listened to me. There was an exit just beside the table where I left you, after our dance. Why don’t you ever listen to reason?”

“According to you, I have a history of doing that,” I snapped back. “But you can’t just keep me here!”

“Yes, I can. If you go out there, you won’t be able to save anyone. Don’t you get it? They didn’t come here only for Muggleborns – they were looking for you!” He stood up, his lanky black hair curtaining his face as he paced the floor. In the darkness, I could barely see his shadow.

“The Dark Lord – ”

“So that’s what you call him now? I thought his new nickname was He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named, that’s what all the cowards are calling him – ”

“Those who are wise enough to save their own hides,” Severus corrected. “Those who do not have the power to face him.” He turned to me, his dark eyes threatening. “The Dark Lord is now more powerful than he ever was, Lily. He has spies everywhere. Even in you own circle.”

I stared at him. “Why are you telling me this? Why now?”

“Because I want to give you a choice. Join us, Lily. I didn’t ask you before because – ” he hesitated, and he suddenly looked like he had eaten something sour. “Because we have different lives now. But the Dark Lord’s army is growing. He has the aid of almost all giants now, including the werewolves, many dwarves…those who won’t ally with him willingly will do so eventually. In short, almost every magical race is sharing their magic with him, making him even more powerful. Do you understand what I’m saying?”

“Swyn Llyfr will soon be in his grasp,” I whispered, my eyes dropping to the floor. Then I turned back to him, my eyes flashing. “How can you ask me to switch sides?”

“I’m asking you to save yourself,” Severus retorted. “The Dark Lord’s hand is closing in upon our world, Lily. Sooner rather than later no one will be able to stand up to him. You have the chance to run away from this – you can flee, and he promises he will never try to find you – ”

I laughed. “Flee? I suppose I must be flattered that Voldemort thinks I’m enough of a threat to ask me to flee…”

I was the one who suggested such a plan...”

Why? We haven’t spoken in four years, Severus. That’s both of our faults, I know, but…” I studied him closely, searching for an answer. He dropped his gaze, and began pacing the floor again. Then I realized.

“You still…mean what you said, that time in the Hogwarts courtyards…”

“We were friends once. I’m giving you this opportunity in memory of that friendship,” Severus replied shortly. “You will never have the power to kill the Dark Lord. I am only saving you the time you will waste in trying to.”

His blatant resentment set me off. “And how can you believe Voldemort’s promises? What makes you think he won’t follow me after I flee and then kill me just when I’m most vulnerable? How can you even listen to him – ”

“The Dark Lord is all we have!” Severus shouted, his robes billowed as he gestured outside. “What’s out there is the truth! You and your worthless underground organization are blinded by idealism! You think you can change centuries of prejudice, of hate, of oppression between all magical races? The Dark Lord is only taking advantage of what’s already in our world, Lily!” His rage calmed for a few seconds as he crouched down to face me. “But you have this opportunity now to make your own life. Take it.”

A chance to have a normal life. How strange, but the offer was even more tempting now, with the screams outside, than before. It’s wrong to think so – I know it is – and yet, I couldn’t help it.

I stared at Severus. In the sallowness of his narrow, long face, in the blackness of his eyes, I could almost catch a trace of the boy I once knew. But then I glanced at the Dark Mark on his arm. I tried to smile. “Thank you, Severus, thank you sincerely. But…I can’t. Why don’t you escape? Why can’t you just turn your back on all of this?”

Before he could reply, the door burst open. James and Sirius stood there, their wands raised.

“Lily, we’ve been looking everywhere for you – ” James began, then his face colored as he set eyes on Severus. “What are you doing to her?”

“Taking advantage of the confusion to kidnap Lily and kill her off, Snivellus?” Sirius said, his eyes narrowed in disgust. “Only a coward would do such a thing…”

Without a second glance at them or me, Severus Disapparated.

“What was he doing to you?” James repeated, his hazel eyes dark with fury.

I avoided James’s gaze. “Help me with these ropes, will you?” After a pause, he aimed his wand at the ropes and they dropped to the ground. Rubbing my chastened wrists, I stood up. “Why’d it take you so long to find me? What’s happened?”

“The Death Eaters fled,” Sirius replied, seeing that James would only look at me in silence. Sirius warily glanced between us, and then went on. “They took the Muggleborns with them…Dumbledore is trying to locate them. But at least no one’s dead…”

“They’re going to be once the Ministry finds out what happened,” James said, clenching his jaw and turning from me. “As the man behind the Ministry, Voldemort won’t be to happy when he finds his Death Eaters failed – again – to capture Lily.”

“For now, let’s count our blessings,” I murmured. “Will Alice and Frank be all right, though?”

“They’re at St. Mungo’s,” Sirius said, stretching his arms. “Unconscious and banged up, but they’ll live.”

Walking past them, I tried to ignore the uncomfortable twists in my stomach by concentrating on what was happening. The Longbottom’s ballroom was almost completely destroyed – windows shattered, tables overturned as the last stage of defense, and several places on the walls and floors severely charred. But none of that mattered once I glanced at the people and magical creatures that were bleeding but still moving. Marlene and Edgar were helping the trolls and Veelas find port keys to their respective homes, since they were all badly hurt.

I let out a shuddering sigh and wrapped both arms around myself. The smell of blood and smoke took me back to the night my parents died. If only I had helped everyone tonight… I pressed my lips together and looked at my hands. So small. Perhaps Severus was right… a treacherous voice whispered to me in my mind.

“I suppose we’re too late to help.”

Whirling around, I gaped at Riona and Remus, who stood in the middle of the room. They looked harried – Riona was pale and thinner than I last remembered, while Remus had gray flecks in his curly brown hair and thin lines around his eyes.

Hands on my hips, I couldn’t resist from smiling. I hadn’t realized how much I had missed them both. “You two always try to make an entrance, don’t you?”

But I glanced around, narrowing my eyes. “What just happened here?”

“Don’t you recognize the telltale signs by now?” Sirius asked, sauntering into the group with his cloak hung over his arm. “Desperate crying, charred walls, broken windows…it’s all reeking of Death Eaters. Welcome back, by the way.”

I hesitated, feeling Remus’s intense gaze upon me. “So…you’re all right? Nothing…concerning Swyn Llyfr occurred?”

Lily raised her eyebrows. “No. Well, they tried to kill me, but that’s nothing new.”

“And they’ll try to kill you, too,” James said, who walked up and clapped Remus on the back. “Not that I’m complaining, but why are you both back? Especially you, Riona – aren’t you wanted for murder?”

“That’s what I told her,” Remus protested. “But she’s as stubborn as a kneazle.”

I shot him a dirty look. “Excuse me, but I’m going to talk with Lily now.” Tossing my head, I took a surprised Lily by the shoulder and pulled her aside to a dim corner.

“He’s just angry that I won’t explain my visions in front of him,” I scoffed, glaring at Remus over my back. He rolled his eyes and turned to James and Sirius, trading stories from the past few months.

Turning back to Lily, I sighed. “He’s the one who’s so stubborn. He can’t understand there are some things he can’t know! And lately it’s been harder to keep things from him…”

Lily chuckled. “Me thinks the lady doth protest too much,” she recited. When she met my confused expression, she only shrugged. “Remus is only worried about you. If so much secrecy is giving your relationship trouble, then why keep at it?”

“We have no relationship. We’re just comrades in arms. Why can’t anyone get that?”

“Denial is bliss,” Lily sang. Then she grew serious. “ But I think I know what you mean. Anyway – was your vision about the Muggleborns kidnapped by the Death Eaters?”

“No. The vision was so strange – It happened at Hogwarts, in a stone corridor…there was a murder. A terrible murder…of a teacher. She had long, wavy dark hair and blue eyes – they were so afraid when she faced her killer.” My breath shuddered. “She knew her killer. She was expecting her death. She tried to fight back, but –”

“And?”

“And she died an agonizing death. One that I wouldn’t even wish for my ex-husband. The thing is, I feel that this vision already happened. How can that be?”

Lily leaned against the charred marble pillar. Across from us, an older witch voice could be heard giving her house elves orders on cleaning the room. “Perhaps your powers are advancing?”

“I wouldn’t know,” I said, bitterly. “I’m learning how to be a banshee by trial and error.”

“That’s the best way to learn, in my opinion,” said Lily lightly. She offered me a smile. “But you received that vision because you were meant to, I’m sure of it. Do you think this concerns Swyn Llyfr?”

“I’m sure of it,” I said. “The last thing this witch shouted before she died was, ‘Long live Swyn Llyfr, the book of ancients.’”

“Well, that’s a big clue if I ever heard of one.”

“What do we do now?”

“Find out what it means, of course. And what triggered it – don’t you only receive visions of those you are close to?” asked Lily. “But something else is on my mind, Riona. I…have reason to believe that Voldemort is building an army of magical creatures. Under ancient magic law, they’re able to share their powers with him, making him even more powerful.”

My eyes widened anxiously. “This means he might have the third part of the seal to the book, the one belonging to the dwarves and giants. And if he does, then he’ll have as much power as we do…”

“Since we also have one part of the four parts in the seal,” Lily finished. She suddenly looked very tired. “We haven’t even been able to find the centaurs’ chief tribe. I’ll have to report to Dumbledore – ”

“Why wait for him?” I paced the floor, my dark, muddied green robes trailing after my steps. “We can go after the centaurs ourselves. Aren’t we Swyn Llyfr’s keepers? And what we have against Voldemort is almost as strong as his army – we have Swyn Llyfr.”

“But we can’t use it,” Lily pointed out. “Not unless we risk corrupting its magic. And if Voldemort gets the book by rejoining the seal, then we’ll have even bigger problems. Which makes me think that we should destroy the book first – ”

But she stopped talking when an agitated older witch came up to us. “Girls, I apologize for interrupting, but if you are going to stand there just chattering then I expect you to come and help us clean this room.”

“And who are you?” I demanded.

Lily elbowed me on the side, muttering. “That’s Frank’s mother, you nutter.” Then she turned to a disgruntled Mrs. Longbottom and smiled. “We apologize.”

As the old lady walked away – shooting me scathing looks as she did so – I shook my head. “We have better things to do than mop the floors, Lily. We have to – ”

But we were interrupted once again by another witch with long, curly amber hair and a wide smile. At her approach, Lily swiftly placed her hood over her face and walked backwards to sink into the shadows. She gestured at me to do the same, but I ignored her.

“Excuse me, but do you know him?” the witch spoke with a faint trace of an Eastern European accent. She pointed to a group of wizards, but her finger rested on James, who was laughing at something Remus had said.

“Why do you want to know?” I asked, taking no notice of Lily’s mad gestures behind the stranger’s back. If the witch suspected I was wanted for murder, I didn’t think she would come up to me for a chat.

“Oh, it is only because I think I knew him, some time ago. I haven’t quite been able to forget him, if you know what I mean,” she said, her tinkling laughter irking me.

“Did you sleep with him or something?” I asked loudly, making sure Lily could hear.

The witch flushed brightly, frowning. “I do not understand how that is your business.”

“If you’re going to gossip about someone I know, then I want to hear the details.”

“So you do know him?” the witch gushed, her eyes glittering with something that irked me further. “Could you introduce me, please?”

“I thought you said you already knew him. Besides, I don’t like you. So why would I help you?”

Leaving the witch gaping at me, I walked over to James, Sirius, and Remus, who were still talking. “You should take your wife home,” I said quietly to James. “There’s a witch here asking about you, and I don’t know what to make of her. Your wife is in the gallery.”

James followed my nod to the left, and for a moment his face paled as he glanced at the strange witch. He quickly nodded, taking out a sheen cloak from his pocket. Without another word, he walked toward the gallery.

“What’s wrong with him?” asked Remus, frowning at James’s retreating figure. While we looked, he instantly disappeared under the Invisibility Cloak.

Sirius eyed the witch, who was looking around for James. Mrs. Longbottom approached her, and they began chatting as if they were old friends. “I’ve seen that girl around somewhere.”

“You’ve seen most women around somewhere, Padfoot,” Remus said dryly. “You sure that girl wasn’t after Sirius, Riona? He’s had much unfinished business with the ladies – to the chagrin of women everywhere, I’m sure.”

“You know it,” Sirius said, smiling wickedly. “But it seems James knew the wench. I haven’t seen him that nervous since the Falmouth Falcons almost won the Quidditch World Cup.”

He had done what he had set out to do. As he stalked up the muddy trail, under cover of darkness, he tried to comfort himself with that thought. Rain was beginning to pour. It cooled his cheeks, which were heated from self-loathing.

He shouldn’t have done it. If anyone found out, he would pay dearly. Not just with his life, but also with all he had worked to attain – a place in the elevated inner circle, a breath away from the power he had always craved. The power that he deserved. And one that he wasn’t going to lose.

He paused in mid-step, chest heaving. Gazing up at the wrought iron gate, he nodded as if to affirm his decision. Walking through the gate as though it were merely a mirage, Severus Snape distractedly flicked his wand at the snapping branches of thorn bushes and thrashes of knife-sharp leaves that slithered his way. They were instantly made immobile.

“No one needs to know,” Snape muttered to himself, just as the tall ebony wood doors of the massive manor fell open before him.

“Know what?” asked a witch from beside the doorway. Her eyes, one blue and one green, glittered with interest in the gloominess of the foyer.

“None of your business,” Snape snapped. “You should know better than to lurk behind doors, Gretchen. One day you might hear something you didn’t want to hear.”

Gretchen gave a wide yawn, primly covering her mouth. “It’s amazing, but every time you open your badly washed mouth you succeed in boring me.”

Snape ignored her and made his way down the hallway. When he arrived at the last door on the right, he knocked before opening it.

Lucius Malfoy turned at the disturbance, slightly frowning. “You’re late. Everyone has already returned. Did you get lost?”

“I did what the Dark Lord commanded me to do, Lucius. I found that there are only three phasm appeli in Britain – one is located in London – ”

But Snape was interrupted by a shrill laugh from the armchair that Lucius stood next to. Bellatrix Lestrange’s hard blue eyes narrowed as she continued to laugh. “What a failure you are to the Dark Lord, Severus. I already found out about the phasm appeli…”

“And Bella successfully caught one,” Lucius added, eyebrows arched expectantly. “Did you manage to do that, Severus?”

Snape’s expression whitened in anger, but he remained silent.

Bellatrix twirled a strand of dark hair around her finger as she examined him. “Well, well…look who scooped the favorite. Or should I say, the ex-favorite of the Dark Lord…accomplishing your tasks requires complete abandonment to duty, Severus. A little lesson I think you should know…”

“I don’t prefer to torture and kill every person I see for information,” Snape retorted. “Doing so would get me nowhere.”

“It got me a phasm appelus,” Bellatrix breathed, her breath hitched from delight. “She’s hidden downstairs, in Rodolphous’s basement. And now the Dark Lord will know he has a true servant in me.”

“Enough of this,” Lucius barked, just as Snape took out his wand. Waving a pale hand at them both dismissively, he said coldly, “What’s important is that we have a phasm appelus and that she did what we asked. A heavy Imperius curse had to be performed, but she communicated the vision successfully.”

“And so the die is cast,” said Rabastan Lestrange lazily, coming into the room with a cigar in his one hand. “The Dark Lord wants to see what they know, and the phasm appelus will help him do just that. Brilliant work, my dear sister-in-law,” he said offhandedly, blowing a smoke ring into the air.

“That’s the only reason we fled from the Longbottom Manor,” Lucius said, screwing up his face and flicking his wand at Rabastan’s cigar. It floated into the air and smashed itself into a crystal ashtray, to Rabastan’s chagrin. “The phasm appelus was able to make contact just as we attacked. But no matter. That was worth the gain we will receive.”

Snape sat on a plush armchair across from Bellatrix, who was idly waving her wand at a long, bulky burlap bag in the middle of the room, turning it over and over. Trying to ignore her, Snape went on to say, “And this vision…it will destroy the keepers of Swyn Llyfr?”

“It will begin the process,” replied Lucius, carelessly. “What we have to do is see how the Empath and banshee react. That should be simple enough, seeing that we have the Ministry’s legion of Aurors at our disposal. And of course, we have other plans…” he glanced at Rabastan, who nodded.

“Everything is working out as it should,” was all that Rabastan said.

“The Dark Lord will be pleased,” Bellatrix said, smiling widely. “But particularly with me,” she added, hooded eyes glaring at Snape.

At last, Snape lost his temper. “Will you stop bumping that bag against the floor? What’s in that bag that so captures your fancy?”

“Nothing, really,” Bellatrix said, shrugging. But a smile was hidden around her red lips. “Just a dead Mudblood.”

LaLaLuna

LaLaLuna

Countess Devil Spawn

• 7,537 posts
I must ask (because I hope it isn't so), is the person in the sack, Gwen? Or is it the person Riona saw in her vision?

So now LV is kidnapping Seers? Honestly, he should have forseen his future the first time he split his soul that it wasn't going to end well, but you can't that to someone insiting on ruling the world now can you?

AH HA! So the wench is back and can't remember James. I LOVED what Riona said to her! I read it three times out loud and cackled over it. I've always want the nerve to say stuff like that :)

Cool chap, Lils, PPMS

H

IKWT!

My Fics
Riddle and Secrets ~ Coming Full Circle ~ Living Memories ~ The Sorting of Priorities
Luna's Loss ~ A Summer's Day ~ Who Would Have Thought ~ Wilted Flower ~ Spring in the Air

Niena

Niena

*sparkle*

• Pip
  • 13 posts
Great update. :) I enjoyed the Lily/Snape scene because of the way you drew parallels to DH. Although I don't know why he asked her to join the Death Eaters, surely Voldemort wouldn't let her. He would never be able to trust her. Anyway, there was a lot of truth in what Severus said. Especially this made me nod in agreement:

"What's out there is the truth! You and your worthless underground organization are blinded by idealism! You think you can change centuries of prejudice, of hate, of oppression between all magical races? The Dark Lord is only taking advantage of what's already in our world, Lily!"

I really like the way you show us that some may not have joined the Death Eaters because they were keen on killing or torturing but because they either thought the Dark side was stronger or merely "taking advantage of what's already in our world". I'm starting to sympathize with your Snape as much as I'm starting to hate your Bellatrix.

Update soon. ;)

Purity once had a name,
And beauty once had a face.
Life once had a meaning,
And once I was safe.

FizzingWhizzbee

FizzingWhizzbee

• Pip
  • 65 posts

At last, Snape lost his temper. "Will you stop bumping that bag against the floor? What's in that bag that so captures your fancy?"

"Nothing, really," Bellatrix said, shrugging. But a smile was hidden around her red lips. "Just a dead Mudblood."

Who is in the bag?!? :o

Another great chapter, as always! Interesting to see the "wench" back into the storyline...sounds like James might have some explaining to do! :angry:

I really enjoyed seeing Severus coming to talk to Lily...very interesting how he tried to persuade her to come over to Voldemort's side. I can see how that might have seemed a bit tempting to her.

A chance to have a normal life.

Nobody ever seems to get any easy life here, do they? :P

Anyway, keep up the great writing!

...FizzingWhizzbee...

Oh, by the way, I like my screen name too! LOL, the day I joined TheSnitch, I was reading OOTP and Dumbledore's password was Fizzing Whizzbee...and it just struck me as perfect! I was suprised that nobody else had taken it already! :D

Ghostrider

Ghostrider

.:Chaser:.

• PipPip
  • 99 posts
Hi Lil´s.

Here you go again. YEAH !
And you´re posting at high speed - already two chapters in a couple of days.

I like how you´re connecting the information from HP7 with the sequel.
And bad enough for James that his little "adventure" turned up. When Lily finds out - and I have a feeling that you will let her find out - it´s definitely "party-time" in the house of Potter.
The part with the false vision was good. It reminds of the false vision Voldemort used to lure Harry into a trap in HP 5.

I reposted my last one from Keeper of Swyn Llyfr to continue here... :D
I have finished HP7 now, and it was cool! I think the most tense sequence was Harry´s last walk into the Forbidden Forest to sacrifice himself. That was... ah, I cannot find the right words. Only this: I had to re-read it immediately after finishing the Epilogue.

JKR put quite the right words in the end - about the final book, the whole HP-stories, the fan-sites, the forums (which actually lead me to you) and everything else: All was well.

:D
Read you soon
Silvia
The eyes are the reflection of the soul
The heart ist the reflection of love
Posted ImagePosted Image

Chloe

Chloe

In Darkness Light May Be Found

• PipPipPip
  • 1,465 posts
  • I am a:Muggle
And you're off to a suspenseful start! :P

I SO cannot wait to see what happens next! Looks like Helena has turned up! I was pretty sure she was gonna do so, since you never introduce anything without a reason! :lol: Those two are undoutedly gonna fight over this! Sirius could porbably step in with a wity comment or two!

So was that vision of that teacher a false vision? Cause I can't really see a relationship between that and Voldemort's plans, except the whole Swyn Lyifr part!

PPMS!

Chloe :P

Edit -

anyways this whole mindset thing made me think why not a have fic about seeing Voldemort as the liberating cause and seeing the Order and Ministry as the evil empire

This is EXACTLY what you'te doing with the Death Eaters' perspectives, Lils! I found it in the very first post on the corkboard and I just had to add it! :P

*Liliana*

*Liliana*

The Storyteller

• PipPipPipPip
  • 6,969 posts
Thanks for your great responses, everyone! You keep this story going. This chapter will explore some of the characters' relationships, as well as advance the plot...I hope you like it!

Hanna: Thank you! No, the Muggle Bellatrix killed isn't Gwen...yet. Haha, the person that Voldemort kidnapped isn't actually a Seer. Rather, it's a new type of...individual. A new type of magic (in this story, anyway). The vision Riona has was indeed planted inside her mind, but not for the obvious reasons (i.e., Voldemort wants to kill her and Lily). The subtle hints will come, no worries! Yep, the wench is back - and her appearance will unsettle things, to say the least. I'm glad you liked what Riona said to Helena. I also have wanted to say that to someone - oh, wait, I have. LOL. Not very nice of me, but I think I was really hungry that day, and when I'm hungry, I get cranky....

Niena: Thanks very much. I'm glad you liked the scene with Lily and Snape. Do you know, I was actually very nervous about writing them together, feeling that I wouldn't write their relationship well. But I think I'm satisfied with what's going on so far. Anyway, Snape asking Lily to join them was his desperate attempt to obtain her - and his suggestion of her fleeing was a desperate attempt at making her safe. Voldemort was lying through his yellowed teeth when he agree with Snape's proposition. But since Lily never agreed, it doesn't matter. I'm happy you thought Snape's explanation of the world was interesting. I really believe what he said. I don't think that the lines between good and evil are so clear - instead, I think people join 'sides' do to what they believe in already. Of course, there's some truly evil people...i.e., Voldemort...and Bellatrix.

FizzingWhizzbee: Thanks for reading! The person in that bag is one of the Muggleborns caught at the engagement party. The war between purebloods & everyone else is the backdrop for this story, as you'll see in this chapter. Haha, James's explaining will be very funny. I'm glad you also enjoyed Snape and Lily's scene. Lily is VERY tempted, as you say - basically because she's starting to want a normal life after the past year of fighting and sneaking around. Your nickname's origin is cool! I'm surprised no one's used it yet either, but now they can't! B)

Silvia: Welcome back! I'm so happy you like this story! More information from HP 7 will be used in this fic - how could I not? Haha. I guess everyone is looking forward to James's moment of shame! LOL! It's gonna be interesting, I guarantee you. But I wonder who you will side with? :) Your allusion to this fic's vision to the one Voldemort gave to Harry is kind of right...but then again, not. I'm sure you'll enjoy the sleuthing, though! And I responded to your comment on the prequel in that thread ^__^

Chloe: Thanks! Your predictions about James's shame are very close! I can definitely say that the vision was not false. It was completely true. But it was sent to Riona for a reason. And the vision has everything to do with Swyn Llyfr and something that Snape accidentally left behind...Hehe. I love mysteries :) Wow, thanks for adding steve's quote! I never even saw it, but it's nice to see that my fic is giving the fandom back something that we've all wanted to see...

~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~

3. The Secrets Are Out

The smells of hot cutlets, devilled kidneys, scrambled eggs, fried bacon, and black pudding, woke me up the next morning, and I knew that my husband was up to no good. Whenever James cooked breakfast – especially at an hour before the sun is well set in the sky – suspicion should be anyone’s immediate reaction.

Stumbling up from Sirius’s leather couch, rubbing my sleepy eyes, I let my nose lead me to the odorous smells in the kitchenette. Yawning widely, I narrowed my eyes at the numerous plates spread out – so numerous, in fact, that the plates with eggs were stacked on top of the ones holding the bacon to form a tottering tower of food.

“What are you hiding, oh husband of mine?”

“Hiding?” James repeated, frowning as he supervised the cooking with flicks and waves of his wand. A pot was now boiling with a fresh mix of black pudding. He took a piece of bacon and stuffed it into my mouth. “What makes you think I’m up to something?”

I tried not to choke on the meat as I replied, “Yoo neva kuk brefa!”

James arched his eyebrows at my response and shook his head with distaste. “There’s nothing more beautiful than watching a grown woman talk with bacon bits in her teeth.”

Quickly swallowing, I scowled at him. “Don’t change the subject. You made us sleep over at Sirius’s last night, claiming that Death Eaters were patrolling our own flat, and now you’re making breakfast for everyone? Besides, you forget I’m an Empath – and I’m now feeling an intense guilt form you – don’t bother to deny it, Potter!”

“Am I interrupting a moment of wedded bliss?” Sirius said cheerfully, strolling in with his hands in his dress robe’s pockets. He widened his eyes at the delectable spread and swiped a cutlet. “Oh, has Prongs been a bad boy?”

I crossed my arms and shot James a triumphant look, while James gestured madly at Sirius to be quiet.

“Even when we were kids, you got me to help you clean your room or dust the tapestries or de-gnome the gardens whenever you knew your parents were after you,” Sirius went on, utterly oblivious to James as he thoughtfully chewed. “Does this have something to do with the wench from last night?”

I rounded on James. “What happened last night, Potter?”

“Nothing!” James said, flustered. “I was just trying to be a good guest – I mean, Sirius let the whole lot of us sleep over last night, and he didn’t complain when I broke his grandfather’s glass book case by accident – ”

“You broke something?” Sirius said, surprised. “I probably don’t remember due to the fact that I was quite p!ssed last night. But I accidentally ripped your cloak when I fell over Remus’s unconscious body, so we’re even.”

James nodded in agreement, while I wondered if I was still dreaming. How did I get stuck between these two? I waved my hands for attention. “All right, what happened with this wench? I’m already worried enough over Alice and Frank, so out with it!”

“Could you keep it down?” Riona said irritably, peeking inside. Her hair was disheveled, and her eyes were red from lack of sleep. “Some of us haven’t slept in days. Even Remus is waking up from your little morning discussion, and you know it takes a stampede of hippogriffs to wake that bloke up.”

James beamed and held out a steaming skillet. “Bacon? Moony fancies meat.”

Riona nodded, took two pieces, and disappeared.

I suppose Riona wasn’t her usual contentious self in the mornings. Shrugging, I turned on James and Sirius, who were wolfing down the black pudding with wooden spoons. I wrinkled my nose in disgust and grabbed James’s arm. “You and I have to talk.”

Sirius saluted James as I tugged him away to the separate dining room. Then I faced James, not without a little fear of what he was going to say. The sense of guilt emanating from him was now overwhelming me.

“Before you say anything, could you please just tell me you’re not going to hurt me?” I murmured, crossing my arms tightly. I smiled faintly. “It sounds nave, but I want to hear it.”

Immediately James took my hands in his and fixed an intense gaze on me. “It’s just been…difficult to decide whether to tell you or not. But I can’t live with hiding it anymore.” He shut his eyes, and then blurted out, “Lily, you snore when you sleep.”

I stared at him.

“Yes, you snore. That’s why I got up so early – I couldn’t stand it anymore, it sounds like a troll was gurgling salt water – ” But James’s light tone faded once he saw my expression. “Right, well…last night this witch was at the party, a witch I knew when you and I were separated. I only saw her once. We talked for a bit, and then the next thing I remember is waking up beside her. In bed…in my birthday suit.”

When I didn’t respond, James hurriedly continued. “Like I said, I only met her once. I don’t even remember her name. But I can assure you – guarantee you, Lily, that nothing happened between her and me. I mean to say, nothing, ah, adulterous. I give you my word.”

“Then what did happen?” I whispered, shaken and confused as I dazedly sat down on the dining table. The birds outside were beginning to sing.
James ran a hand over his face. “I can’t remember! She drugged me, I’m sure. But you know when nothing happens – ”

I don’t.’

“Well, guys do. Believe me,” James said quickly, when he caught my disbelieving look.

“You believe you’re telling the truth, so that won’t work.” I got up, suddenly numb. I couldn’t even work my powers, even if I tried. But I didn’t want to feel anything. “How could you just go off with a strange woman like that? How could you keep this from me for more than a year?”

“After we separated, I didn’t care about anything.” James turned from me and scratched the back of his head, his usual sign of awkwardness. “When I met her, I didn’t care what I was doing because I didn’t have you to make me care. And after we got back together, I completely forgot about this woman, Lily. I never wanted to hurt you by keeping this from you, but now I think it’s important that you know because this witch might be after both of us. It’s too much of a coincidence, seeing her again – and, of course, there’s the fact that she drugged me for some unknown reason.”

After a tense pause, I licked my dry lips. “This isn’t the first time you’ve kept secrets from me, James. You never told me about your Animagus form, you never told me you were filthy rich until we were engaged… I shouldn’t be surprised about this, I suppose. A lot of married men go off with strange women to seek comfort – ”

“That’s not what happened!” James said angrily. “I didn’t go after her, Lily! If anything, she went after me. She gave me something to drink – we both drank it – and then I only remember waking up beside her. That’s all! How is that any different from a Death Eater fooling and drugging a victim?”

“Because the victim was probably forced to go with the Death Eater!” I shouted back. “While you had a choice!”

“We were separated! You left me, remember?” James barked. “I didn’t know if I was ever going to see you again!”

“Well, it’s nice to know that those wedding vows meant so much to you! Next time, why don’t you pawn your wedding ring for some firewhiskey? That’s just as meaningful!”

“Excuse me,” said a tremulous voice from behind us. James and I whirled around to face Peter, dressed in his Gringotts work robes. He was holding an envelope and wore a look that said he wanted to be anywhere but here. “Do you know where Sirius is?”

“Right here, Wormtail,” said Sirius breezily, ducking his head out of the kitchenette. “Come in here to get out of the line of fire and have yourself your favorite – devilled kidney.”

Peter scurried to the kitchen, avoiding us as much as possible on his way. He handed Sirius the envelope and glanced at us curiously.

“Now isn’t the time to talk about this, James,” I said, taking a deep breath, then punching James in the arm. “But that doesn’t mean this ends here!” I stalked away, but before I could leave, James held me back.

“If you flounce off now, there will be no end to the cold shoulders you’ll give me, Evans. I honestly told you what happened, word for word. But now that we’re on the subject of secrets, what happened between you and Snivellus yesterday?”

My eyes flashed with anger. “You and I were technically separated from each other in different rooms, so I don’t think I have to tell you anything – ”

“Oh, get off your high hippogriff! I thought that was over, but you and I both know Snape had a thing for you once – ”

“We were friends, Potter. How many times have I told you that?”

“Snape doesn’t think so. You two seemed more than friendly when Sirius and I came – ”

“How can you be jealous?” I demanded. “You’re the one who betrayed me!”

“How could I betray you when I wasn’t conscious of it? And when our marriage was next to being dissolved – ”

“Are you two done with your row?” Riona snapped. Now dressed in her robes and looking more like herself, she eyed me warily. “I wouldn’t want you to blow us all up because you’re a little angry, Lily.”

I snorted. “Oh, don’t worry. I’m beyond angry,” I said, scowling at James, who let out a groan of frustration and turned from me. “I’m at a point where I have no use for emotions.”

“Well, that’s good, because we have some pressing business that needs to be done,” said Riona briskly. She gestured at the living room. “Some people say they need to speak with you, and then we have to talk about, ah, our plans,” she added, glancing at James.

James rolled his eyes and stalked into the kitchen, where Sirius and Peter were viewing the show with interest.

Pasting on a smile, I sat down across from Caradoc Dearborn and Marlene McKinnon, who looked like they didn’t know what to do with themselves. But their interruption was a welcome distraction.

“Sorry to make you wait.”

“We can see you’re a bit busy, so we’ll make this short,” Caradoc said, scratching his ruddy beard uncomfortably.

“I only came by to tell you Alice and Frank are doing much better at St. Mungo’s,” Marlene said, pushing her egg-shaped glasses up her nose and beaming. “Their wounds are almost healed, so now they’re just resting. You can visit them later this afternoon, if you like.”

“Thanks, Marlene,” I said, smiling at her. “I really needed to hear that. Any word on the Muggleborns who were taken?”

“Well, Dumbledore can’t find a trace of them,” Marlene said sadly, pulling on her long brown braid. “He said they weren’t taken to Azkaban like the other Muggleborns.”

Caradoc cleared his throat, his blue eyes darkening. “Ah, I might be of some help with that. That’s actually why I stopped here. You know Dumbledore assigned me to reconnaissance – finding information on what the Death Eaters are doing on foreign shores…and I’ve found something.”

“Why are you telling me?” I asked, confused. “Shouldn’t Dumbledore know first?”

“He’s the head of the Order, I know,” said Caradoc, “But I think you should know, Lily, because you’d be directly affected, if what I hear is correct. You remember the rumors internment camps directed by the Ministry?”

“But those were just stories spread to scare us – ”

“It seems like those rumors are now more than just stories,” Caradoc replied. Abruptly, he dug into his pockets and fished out a small metal box. He gingerly placed it on the center table.

“In that you’ll find a port key to an internment camp where over 500 Muggleborns magical creatures are being tortured to death.”

“You want us to organize a rescue mission then?” Remus said, out of the blue. He walked past where I was, in the hallway, and into the living room and sat on the windowsill, clearly upset.

“Something like that. I would help you,” Caradoc said, “But I barely escaped,” he added, pulling up his sleeve and showing charred flesh on his wand arm that was slowly healing. “I can tell you all the details of how to get there and what you’ll encounter, but I won’t be of much help to you if I go.”

“No worries. But we should leave immediately,” Remus said, scratching his chin’s stubble. Lily and Marlene nodded in agreement.

They wanted to play heroes again? As they were speaking about plans, I walked into their group and interrupted.

“Excuse me. But I think we won’t be able to do much, either. Even if all of us go, we’ll be outnumbered by Ministry officials and Death Eaters.”

As if they had forgotten I was here, too, they all looked up at me in surprise.

Remus quickly spoke up. “Riona’s not a member of the Order, but she’s still a close friend. Riona,” he said, turning to look at me with his tired gray eyes, “I would’ve thought you’d be eager to help out as much as Lily and I are.”

“Not really,” I said shortly. “We have bigger things to deal with,” I said, giving Lily a meaningful poke.

Sighing, Lily looked up at me, too. “Right now, this seems more important. I just can’t let this happen. Can you?”

Didn’t she understand? By carrying out our plan to destroy Swyn Llyfr, we could ensure these things wouldn’t happen. “Don’t be led by your emotions again, Lily,” I said, meeting Lily’s hurt gaze head on. “You know that what we have to do is just as important, and what’s more, more urgent. We don’t have time for this – ”

“Then let’s make time,” said Remus coldly. He stood up, and I cursed his height, since he could use it to further impose his displeasure. “Lily and I are going, and I hope you can come, too. It’s time you felt some humanity so you can prove to us that you have a little heart.” He turned to Caradoc. “So where is this camp located?”

“SIRIUS!” Marlene squealed her dark brown braid flying as she jumped up when Sirius walked in, looking disturbed over something.

Utterly transformed from her quiet, serious self, Marlene stared at Sirius with bright eyes. “What’s wrong? Are you tired? Are you ill? The dragon pox is going around again, perhaps you should stay in bed – ”

“Just wanted to let you all know that I’m going out for a bit,” said Sirius. He seemed strangely pale and feeble – that’s what alarmed me most, since I had never seen him as neither. Perhaps James’s cooking had poisoned him.

“What’s wrong, Sirius?” asked Remus, examining him closely.

“Nothing – nothing’s wrong,” Sirius said quietly, shaking his head. He rubbed both hands over his face, distractedly looking around for something. “Just need my cloak – ”

“Here it is, mate,” said James, coming from behind Sirius. He handed him a thick gray cloak. “Let me get mine, and I’ll go with you.”
“Where?” asked Remus, following James into the hallway. I could hear them speak quietly.

Peter scuttled in with a cold cutlet in one hand, looking at our curious faces. “Oh, you don’t know. Sirius is going to his dad’s funeral.”

Sirius shot Peter a scathing look, but remained silent. He tried to put on his cloak, but he couldn’t seem to find the sleeves. Marlene, tears in her eyes, hurried to help him. Yet he didn’t seem aware of her or the rest of us.

“I have to go,” Sirius said, swallowing as he was finally wearing his cloak. “He was a moronic, prejudiced git, my dad, but…”

“He was still your dad,” said Lily quietly. She reached for Sirius’s hand. But Sirius dropped it and instead dug into his cloak’s pocket.

“Here, Lily. I think you left this in that room, where we found you last night,” said Sirius, absentmindedly handing her a small rucksack.

Peter cleared his throat, shuffling his feet. “H-how are you going to get there? I mean, it’s probably going to be full of Death Eaters – ”

“That’s why we have this,” said James, holding up his sheen Invisibility Cloak as he and Remus stood by Sirius.

Remus patted Sirius on the back. “I would go, mate, but there’s barely room under the cloak for two…”

“That’s all right,” said Sirius gruffly. “I didn’t even want James to go with me, but he said he won’t let me use his cloak unless he can come.”

Marlene sobbed loudly and embraced Sirius tightly, digging her head into his chest. When he began to cough from lack of oxygen, Caradoc gently pulled Marlene off.

“Did you hear what we were talking about? Does this mean that you’re – sniff – not going on the mission with us – sniff – Sirius?”

Before James could answer for him, Sirius quickly nodded. “Yeah, I think I will. I’ll meet you there, or something…after it’s all over…” he grew quiet.

“We’ll both meet you there,” said James, nodding at everyone. His hazel eyes, now dark green from concern, rested on Lily. But she avoided his gaze and turned to face Caradoc and Marlene. Sighing, James Disapparated just as Sirius did.

The autumn leaves were in full array of color as the black-dressed crowd filed away from the single pearl coffin in pairs. Even though the eulogies were over, the flowers were thrown over the grave, and the guests were disappearing, there was still a sense of something left unfinished in the air. One tall lady, pale-faced and dry-eyed under her veil and surrounded by several weeping women, snapped that she was getting a headache from their howling.

“Mum never could stand crying,” Sirius said, shaking his head. “When my brother and I were little and cried, she would place socks in our mouths.”

He and James were standing under the Invisibility Cloak several meters away from the coffin and hidden behind several birch trees and bushes. They had barely caught the last few minutes of the funeral.

Bellatrix Lestrange shook off a wizard who had reached for her arm and went to Mrs. Black. “Come with us, Aunt Hera. We’ve set up everything at our house to receive the guests.”

“I was the one who organized it, actually. I promise you’ll be pleased. We’re giving Uncle Orion a proper farewell,” said Narcissa, her blue eyes now reddened from tears. She took her aunt’s arm while Bellatrix took the other. But Mrs. Black didn’t look like she cared as she was led away.

“Let’s go,” Sirius whispered, eyeing the backs of his retreating family.

“Your family doesn’t exactly look like they’re in a good mood, Sirius – their hate against you will probably be ten times its usual wrath right now…”

“I don’t mean go with them,” Sirius said impatiently. “I mean, let’s get out of here, back to my house – my old house.”

Before James could reply, Sirius Disapparated. Shrugging, James followed him.

Within second, they arrived at a massive stone building, hidden between a row of brick townhouses to the Muggle eye. The street was deserted as Sirius and James flew up the front steps. The gargoyle statues, guardians of the front door, scowled at them with scaled eyes.

Without a word, Sirius took out a penknife, stuck it into the keyhole, and played with the brass doorknob until the door clicked open.

“What about that charming house-elf of yours?” James hissed, once they were inside.

“Kreacher always helps the other house-elves with family events like this,” Sirius muttered, swallowing as he walked into the foyer and glanced around. “Besides, I’m still his master – he can’t blab anything unless I tell him to.”

The house was quiet and decadent with its air of affluence everywhere: from the velvet cushions on the parlor’s divans to the gold chandeliers to the rich tapestries hung over the paneled walls. Just as James made his way past the foyer, Sirius called out: “Watch it!”

Not a second too soon, for out of two opposite walls burst four spiky axes that would’ve decapitated James had he taken another step. Instead, they melted back into the walls.

“That security hex recognizes unwanted people in the house,” Sirius explained to an aghast James. “It won’t get me because I played with it before I left…” Then he trekked up the winding stairs to the second floor, his footsteps as light as a boy. Following him, James tried not to hurl as he passed the decapitated house-elf heads mounted on plaques that lined the stairwell.

“Can’t believe those sticking charms still work,” Sirius said, chuckling with pleasure as he looked around his old bedroom. Gryffindor banners and posters were glued to the walls. Spider webs hung across the wall corners, where posters of various wizard bands hung worn and yellowed. A large mahogany wardrobe hung empty, its door swinging in the chilly breeze coming in from the tall forefront window.

James plopped himself on the dusty, velvet-draped bed and pointed at a small hole in the wall, hidden between the wall-covered posters of Muggle girls in bikinis. “Remember that?”

Sirius only had to glance at the hole to laugh. “5th year, mid-summer. That little hole enabled us to hex my mother and Aunt while they were planning Regelus’s birthday party in the next room.”

“The memory of your Mum and your Aunt Druella sprouting antlers and sporting bulbous blisters is one I shall always cherish,” James said with a satisfied sigh.

“But you weren’t here for the aftermath,” said Sirius darkly. “That was the night I ran away, remember?”

James grew silent and sat up, running a hand through his messy hair and making it stand up all the more. “I know you don’t want to talk about this, but you were sort of close to your dad – ”

“He was the only one who defended me,” said Sirius, his tone emotionless. “I mean, he didn’t defend me after I ran away – I guess he thinks I betrayed him…I never spoke to him after I ran away that night,” he added, flicking his nameplate on the door. It banged against the wood. “He and Mum were there for the commencement ceremony for appearance’s sake, but…we never spoke.”

“That doesn’t mean he didn’t stop thinking about you,” James said quietly.

“But I’ll never know, will I?” Sirius leaned against the wall, his gaze hard. “He’s dead, and he didn’t bother to tell me he was ill. When it comes to my family, I don’t expect much – I wish I could drain their blood from my veins – “ Sirius’s hands clutched into fists. “I don’t want much, but…”

“Well, whether you like it or not, you have me, mate,” James said, standing up and clapping Sirius on the shoulder. “And my parents. Remember that my mum adores you. I should probably be jealous, but she makes you eat her horrible kidney pies, so I don’t mind.” He shrugged. “I’ve come to believe that you create your own family, blood-related or not.”

Sirius nodded, seemingly unaffected, but his tightly clenched jaw spoke differently. “You’re right. Your mother’s kidney pies are horrible,” he added. He and James shared a grin.

But their smiles disappeared when they heard someone coming up the stairs. The moment of surprise and the room’s boyish air seemed to revert Sirius into the past, for he quickly swung open the wardrobe to hide inside. Across the room, James madly gestured at him to hide under the Invisibility cloak.

Too late – someone had already swung open the door. A lanky wizard with the same eyes and hair as Sirius but with the signature haughty disposition of the Blacks stood in the doorway. Regelus Black stared at Sirius, whose body was half invisible in the process of going under the cloak.

“What the hell are you doing?”

Both brothers faced each other with identical looks of disgust. After straightening up, Sirius spoke first. “This is my room, Reg. I should ask what you’re doing here.”

“I only invited you the funeral, Sirius! You can’t be here!”

You?” James blurted, materially appearing. Regelus paled, his eyes furious. But James was oblivious. “You sent Sirius that letter this morning?”

“Yes, but I never thought he would actually come,” Regelus snapped, his slightly wane face frowning. “I would’ve never done it if Dad hadn’t asked me to, on his deathbed – ”

Sirius’s eyes lit up. “Really? What did he – ”

“It doesn’t matter,” said Regelus sourly. “You’re not in the direct will, if that’s what you’re worried about. Only if our entire family dies will you get a sickle.”

“You little squirming worm,” barked Sirius. “That’s probably what you were worried about, I bet. I have better things to do than talk about the black hole you have for a heart.”

“I’m afraid you can’t go, yet,” Regelus said, smiling. James wished he could reach for his wand, but he had left his cloak on the bed opposite them. But Sirius didn’t care, for he lifted a fist.

“You never were good at dueling or Muggle fighting, Reg.”

“I don’t have to fight you,” said Regelus, holding up a wand in his right hand. “I have my weapon, while both of your stupidly left your wands out of reach. I can’t miss this rare chance of you stopping by, can I, Sirius?” His smile widened. “I have to introduce you to my new teacher – someone who’d like to meet you both. Especially you,” he added, glaring at James. “The Dark Lord has much to talk with you.”

LaLaLuna

LaLaLuna

Countess Devil Spawn

• 7,537 posts
Squirming worm is right! Regulus just moved right into the slot of favored son when Sirius left (bet he couldn't wait). It's nice that Sirius went to his Dad's funeral, losing the only blood relative that stuck up for him/ understood his point of view.

I'm happy James told the story of what happened with Helena, but I'm with Lily, I don't believe nothing happened. But then James has something to be suspious about being drugged, and the fact that he and Lily had been separated for a year. . .but then too Lily really had no choice in leaving did she? Got a lot of "on the other hand" sidings don't I? :)

Wonder how our boys are going to get out of the sticky situation, ppms.

IKWT!

My Fics

Endad

Endad

.:Beater:.

• PipPip
  • 154 posts
  • I am a:Wizard
Oh Ive just finished the first one about Swyn Lyffr (took me ages to read) and now Ive moved onto this! Its great, I love it! :D Now that HP is done and dusted, Ill just cling to this :P Youre such a cool writer! :)

Im glad Snapes still hangin in there lol, the way he warned Lily. And that sneaky temptress Helena :o I never thought she would turn up again! :crying: And I just hope that Lily follows up on Snape telling her that theirs a spy in their inner circle! And get Pettigrew stamped out - not going to happen :D but hey, its FanFic! HINT:D
Nitwit, Blubber, Oddment, Tweak!

FizzingWhizzbee

FizzingWhizzbee

• Pip
  • 65 posts
Awesome update! I'm sooooooo glad that James told Lily about Helena, but I totally understand why she wouldn't believe him! I definitely loved seeing how he tried to avoid the topic! :)

Sirius's dad's funeral...that was interesting. I felt sad for poor Sirius, now all he's left with is Regulus and dear old Mrs. Black.

"Mum never could stand crying," Sirius said, shaking his head. "When my brother and I were little and cried, she would place socks in our mouths."

Makes me want to give little Reggie and Siri-kins a hug! It was also really neat to find out a little bit more about Sirius' past...poor guy.

Also very interesting to hear about some of James' and Sirius' teenaged exploits...

"The memory of your Mum and your Aunt Druella sprouting antlers and sporting bulbous blisters is one I shall always cherish," James said with a satisfied sigh.

o@

Keep up the great work, I love it!

...FizzingWhizzbee...

Chloe

Chloe

In Darkness Light May Be Found

• PipPipPip
  • 1,465 posts
  • I am a:Muggle
Oh, no. While I think it was good for Sirius to go to his dad's funeral, going to his old home was definitely overstepping. I knew they would get caught!

On the internment camp, I have to say I agree with Riona in this case. Swyn Llyfr is really more important right now. It could save thousandss of lives if they destroy it, but if they just go to internment camps, people will keep dying and those who escape from the camps could get captured again. I can't believe Remus didn't see that. Guess it's his Gryffindor blood acting up. :)

On with the story! o@

Chloe :D

Willowgrl

Willowgrl

Avid Reader

• PipPip
  • 151 posts
GREAT CHAPTERS, LILS! I lub your characters, especially Riona in that last one...it was really cool that she tried to put Lily in her place, but then Lily is kinda right because those prisoners reallyl need help!!

also, i like how you got helena into the story. sneaky! and i side with james, sorry, he really was unconscious and it wasn't his fault helena drugged him! but i can understand why lily was angry.

and snape in that last part of chappter 2 was great. i can sympathize with him...

PPMS :unsure: :) :pinch:

*Liliana*

*Liliana*

The Storyteller

• PipPipPipPip
  • 6,969 posts
And here is the fourth chapter! We're doing good, aren't we? ^__^ This chapter was difficult to write, but it was exhilirating when I finally finished it. Hope you enjoy it.

Hanna: Thankees! Oh yes, Regelus doesn't care about who he has to step on to get to the top. But it'll be interesting to write about why/how he turned...I really wanted to write about Sirius and where he comes from though. So if the last part seemed like a filler, it wasn't. LOL. It'll come in handy later on. Situations like the one with James/Lily/infidelity are very complicated. Although James is at fault for being so stupid, he also wasn't completely responsible since he and Lily were separated, and yet...haha. There are many twists to that one, but it'll get cleared up soon. Our boys will get out of the sticky situation by sheer dumb luck. Harry's a lot like his dad in that way, hehe.

Endad: WELCOME, NEW READER! *hands you chocolate balls* Careful, they squeak when eaten. B) Thanks very much for coming onto this story and liking it so much! You can feel free to cling to this story as much as you like. Snape is gonna be huge in this story, no worries! Lily doesn't exactly trust Snape right now, so his hint about the spy won't be taken too seriously...unfortunately. And Helena will have her important part to play, too. I wonder if you can guess what it will be?

FizzingWhizzbee: Thank you much! Haha, I'm glad you saw the humor in James's confession. He didn't think it would be a big deal, but Lily thought differently. Anyway, their issues will get resolved, but they have some hidden issues underneath their skins that they have to get fixed first. Poor Sirius! He really had no real family, even though he yearned for one. But he does see James as a brother at least. Hehe, the exploits that he and James had lit up his childhood - sometimes I think that's why he was so mischevious as a child. Trying to catch up on the childhood he missed, you know?

Chloe: Thanks, dearie! Hehe, you were right that Sirius and James got caught - I mean, how could Sirius think that the funeral invitation was truly sincere? Poor Sirius! Riona is right about forgetting about the internment camp, but Lily has her own reasons for going, as you'll find out in this chapter. As for Remus, you're right - his Gryffindor blood is acting up. He sympathizes with those captured, since it could just as easily be him imprisoned.

Willow: Thank you! I'm glad you like Riona and Lily, they're lots of fun to write. James is delighted that you side with him! And he'll try to defend himself in this chapter, hehe. Snape now has a place in my heart. Big change from before, since I have always detested him. But no more! I'm sure you can agree. :crying:

~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~

4. Purity is Perfection

Eyes blazing, Hayden held up his wand. “Once true wizards use Swyn Llyfr, Mudbloods and Muggles and magical creatures will not be able to match its unearthly powers...Our revenge will not end with my death, Empath!"

With my hands emanating an unearthly light, I blocked Hayden’s curses, thrown at me at lightning speed…

Hayden was hurling into the air…his limp body slipped to the ground. Seeing him vulnerable, Dementors glided out of Azkaban fortress and crowded Hayden like vultures…

Riona placed her hand on my shoulder, her dark eyes kind. “I saw many Muggles and Muggleborns dying, all because Hayden lived. You killed Hayden to save others, Lily. I can’t say you’ll forget your remorse, but at least take comfort in that…”

The frightened screams of tortured Muggleborn witches and wizards shattered the windows of the party’s ballroom…

The dead eyes of Charles and Esther Evans stared up at me, their corpses rotting away in the charred and destroyed living room of my childhood…

And James lets go of my hand, walking away into darkness.

Breathing heavily, I sat up, tangled in blankets. I was drenched with cold sweat. Shakily, I stared at my hands. They were dark red, as if they had been slightly burned.

Beside me, my rucksack suddenly began to glow a soft, pale blue light. My forehead knit in confusion, I reached out to open the sack, which I had hastily packed last night. Out came a small silk bag, light as a feather yet very warm. I vaguely remembered the bag as the one Sirius had given me before he left, saying that I had left it behind at the engagement party. But I didn’t remember the bag at all – and yet I had packed it, thinking it was important somehow.

My fingers were untying the drawstring before I realized what I was doing. The blue light emanated from a strange glass globe sitting on a tiny square box shaped like a pedestal. Beneath my probing fingertips, the globe began to bubble as if it were boiling, and the glass morphed into minute carvings. My eyes widened as the delicate carvings came alive, depicting animate creatures – flying vampires, mermaids that swishes their silvery tails at me, howling werewolves, centaurs that stampeded across the globe, dwarves sinking into and emerging from the ground, elves bowing, goblins leering up at me, screaming banshees…and at the very bottom, crouched near the pedestal, were one stoic wizard and witch. Their wands were crunched under the steps of the other creatures.

What is this? I’ve never seen it before… But as I tried to examine the animate figures, they melted into the glass, and the globe’s light faded. It now looked like a common crystal ball, though not clouded or eerily glowing like the ones used for Divination classes. I shook my head and stuffed the globe back into my rucksack. I couldn’t handle it right now, whatever it was.

Outside our makeshift tent, a lone wolf howled, its cry so similar to the sounds from the extraordinary globe. I stood up and pulled back the tent’s flap. A sickle moon lit up the dark night brightly, as if it wanted to emulate the sun. Clouds softly glided over the peaks of jagged mountains.

“Can’t sleep?” came Riona’s murmur from somewhere to my right. Peter’s mutterings of, “No, I’m the better wizard – no, you go get the butterbeer this time…” and Marlene’s snores were the only other sounds in the room, but they didn’t seem to wake Remus. In the dimness I traced Riona’s tall and thin frame, which rose to join me. She gestured that we go outside.

“If Marlene kicks me one more time, I will not be responsible for the consequences,” Riona said irritably, tossing back her thick black braid, which reached the grassy floor.

I leaned against the tent’s rough tarp and squinting into the foggy moors. “Do you ever dream of the victims in your visions, Riona?”

Riona glanced at me in surprise. “I force myself not to dream. Otherwise, I have echoes.”

“What do you mean?”

“Echoes, or repetitions, of the visions I had awake. Sometimes I see complete detail, sometimes there are missing pieces. Either way…I try to avoid them.”

“I suppose you can’t control your visions like you can control your dreams,” I said thoughtfully, twirling some blades of grass between my hands. “It would be helpful if you could foretell what will happen tomorrow.”

“That’s easy – doom,” replied Riona dryly. “We’re cheerfully walking to our deaths by trying to liberate this supposed internment camp.”

I tucked a stray hand of hair behind my ear and crossed my arms. “There’s not as much death in those camps as…fear. And pain. I feel it all, the closer we get.” Looking up at the moon, I sighed. “How can I ignore that?”

“By turning around,” Riona countered. “If we do so now, we’ll be able to trace our steps back to finding the centaurs, to find their part of the book’s seal. And we still have to find out about that pact based on an ancient magic, whatever that may be, between a powerful magical creature and a powerful witch. The pact that will finally destroy Swyn Llyfr.”

When I didn’t answer, Riona continued, though hesitantly. “Look, Lily…saving these prisoners won’t make up for what happened to those people that you still dream about.”

“It can’t begin to make up for that,” I agreed curtly, meeting her inquisitive gaze. “But it will prevent the same murders from happening in the future.” Then my face slackened, and I closed my eyes. “Riona, just trust me. I don’t know how to explain it – I…I just know that we’re going in the right direction – ”

But my words were cut off by whispers and rustles of branches to the left of the tent. Riona and I froze, our hands instinctively reaching for the wands inside our pockets. The tent’s flap slightly parted to reveal Remus’s tired yet watchful face. He tilted his head forward, as though smelling for something.

“Wizards,” he croaked, stepping outside and standing between Riona and I. “Our protection charms should hold, but let’s be prepared.”

A hacking cough, mixed with dried blood, burst from James as he adjusted his aching body against the brick wall of the prison.

“I was afraid you’d gone and died out on me,” Sirius croaked, chained next to James. “You’ve been unconscious for hours.”

“Nah, just taking a nap,” James joked hoarsely. His throat felt raw, but he was relieved to see that even though the rest of his body was in no better shape, he could still see and speak. “How long have we been here?”

Sirius sighed, closing his eyes. Perhaps he could wish this all away. “Dunno. Hours? Days? Times goes slowly when you’re not having fun.”

“I can’t believe Regelus the Wuss put us in here,” James said angrily, yanking the metal chains around his wrists and ankles, and then immediately regretting it as jolts of pain shot up his veins. “How the hell did he manage that?”

“His ‘teacher’,” Sirius replied bitterly. “Voldemort must really be desperate if he recruited Regelus.”

“Or smart,” said James, eying the empty corridor outside, barred by thick iron railings. “But I can’t believe it – he’s your brother…”

“The term ‘family’ doesn’t have the same definition for my family as it does for yours. You trust too easily, Prongs. But look who’s talking,” Sirius said, laughing dryly.

“Well, I’m not going to kick the can in a prison where a slimy git looking to climb the social ladder of pureblood filth stuck me,” James said. His anger gave him motivation, which sharpened his senses and got his ex-Auror instincts to kick in. “Still got that pen knife, Padfoot?”

“It’s in my left knee sock. But you won’t be able to get it unless you can think of a way to grow another hand. And we don’t have our wands.”

At that moment a door clanged open down, and the long shadows of two people flickered over the corridor’s stone walls. James and Sirius immediately shut their eyes and slackened their bodies, appearing unconscious.

Their prison door burst open with a flick of a masked Death Eater’s wand. He threw a witch inside the cell as easily as if she were a rag doll. She cried out in pain as her body slammed against the wall. The guard chuckled and stalked off, the prison door clanking shut, its sound echoing ominously.

Knowing the childhood trick of opening your eyes barely enough to see but not appear awake, James studied the weeping witch closely.

I can’t believe it. Despite his cracked and crooked glasses, James knew that the witch looked very familiar. His stomach took an ugly twist. “What the hell are you doing here?”

At this sudden outburst, Sirius’s eyes popped open in surprise and the witch stopped her crying, staring at James in confusion.

“Who-who are you – ”

“You know perfectly well who I am,” snapped James. “Don’t play coy now, you harlot – ”

Sirius hissed at him to be quiet, but James went on. “Did you get stuck in here by ruining other men’s marriages with your cunning tricks? Or perhaps you got the wrong Death Eater jealous by sleeping around?”

The witch whimpered, fussing with her long, dirtied curly hair. “I don’t know what – wait. Are you James?” Her heart-shaped face burst into a small smile. “I’ve been looking everywhere for you…”

“Well, stop it!” James barked. He had forgotten his injuries’ pain, now only feeling seething anger at this woman who, in his eyes, had ruined his life. “We didn’t have anything, ever, and we won’t have anything in the future or even in the afterlife! Leave me alone!”

To James’s resentment, the cell was filled with Sirius’s hearty laughter. Sirius’s lacerated face was grinning at a livid James and a flabbergasted Helena. “I guess this is the place of reckoning, eh, James? Wow, I needed that laugh…where do you find these women, Prongs?” But Sirius’s amusement was cut short with a howl of pain, for James’s elbow had jabbed him in the ribs.

“If you would but let me speak,” Helena said, her voice slightly accented. James growled at the familiar voice. But Helena looked afraid. “I am here because I am a halfblood. The Ministry, they don’t believe my ancestry – ”

“Whatever,” James said dismissively. The more Helena talked, the angrier he grew. He turned to Sirius. “Let’s continue with our plan.”

“What plan?” Sirius retorted. “We’d only gotten as far as wondering how we can grow a third hand.”

“Excuse me,” Helena said softly. Her blue eyes smiled at them, yet James scowled distrustfully. “But I think I know of another way to escape.”

My insides grew cold. I held my hand up when Remus and Lily made as if to take a closer look at the strangers. “You might end up dead before you even see who’s there.”

“The camp shouldn’t be far off,” the older woman was saying, her voice as forbidding as a cold night. “We stay together until the moon is high, then we attack and together rescue our sisters.”

“But what if the wizards are too much for us – ” countered a younger woman, followed by agreeing ‘yes’s from three others.

“Wizards cannot measure up to our magic! While our magic is internal, a part of us, they play with fire. They will be no match for us.”

Shaking my head, I gestured to Lily to hold down her wand. “She’s right,” I murmured, a small smile playing around my lips.

Over Lily’s head, Remus shot me a look that plainly said, You know something. What is it?

I placed a finger on my lips, and without warning, I stepped out of the ring of protection charms and into the open. Instantly, our tent disappeared in the shadow of the mountains and surrounding trees, and I faced the backs of five banshees.

“Hello, tain,” I said quietly.

The oldest banshee whirled around at the sound of my voice. Her long dark brown hair, now graying at the temples, glided over the grass as she approached me, her dark green eyes narrowed. “Riona? Riona Ailbhe Lestrange, can that be you?”

“I go by Riona Dyrdra now,” I corrected, meeting her halfway. “I am my mother’s daughter.”

tain cast me one of her looks – the look that had once made me feel as if were something insignificant beneath her toes. Yet I met her gaze steadily, and she cracked a hard smile. “Well, it’s about time.”

“Are you going to liberate banshees from the internment camp?” I asked, eyeing the four other banshees behind tain whose thick, dark hair was so similar to mine as it also reached their feet.

“You never mince words, do you?” tain burst into her short, snappy laugh that reminded me of cracking ice. “No…we are here to hold a tribal ritual – not that you would know anything about that,” she added, glancing slyly at me. “You never finished your training with me…”

I smiled without any humor. “Don’t forget that I know how you lie, tain. I will help you if you will help us. Though wizard magic is inferior to the Banshee’s Scream, it will not be enough.”

“And why would you help me? What would you get in return?”

“You once helped me see the truth,” I replied, tossing back my hair and holding my head high. “I am only returning the favor. My plans are also to help those prisoners, so you will not lose if you have me on your side.” Subtly, I placed my hands behind my back and gestured at Lily and Remus to come out. When I heard their footsteps behind me, I continued.

“We can separate into groups and attack the internment camp from both sides. They’ll never know what hit them.”

“We don’t need wizards’ help!” hissed one banshee, pale face wrinkled in distaste when she saw Lily and Remus.

“But an Empath and werewolf’s help would be quite useful,” breathed tain, her dark green eyes glittering. I could almost see her brain working while she processed my offer. “Deal.”

“Remember that we’re only following you on this because it’s the only plan we have,” James told Helena, his jaw’s muscles clenched. “After this, we’ll never see each other again.”

Sirius sniggered, then coughed once James shot him a scathing look.

Helena nodded, her eyes downcast. She glanced at the corridor, her light blue eyes bright. “Do you hear that?”

The clanking of keys and murmuring voices reached their ears. Hurried footsteps, and then audible words: “Get Rosier, the phasm appelus is acting up again – she’s having one of her tirades – ”

If you’ve never doubted your sanity, Evans, now is the time to do so, I told myself as I followed Riona and tain up a small knoll with the moon high in the sky, acting as our candle in the night.

I knew I shouldn’t trust tain. After all, she had helped Voldemort open Swyn Llyfr. And the fact that the hate she and the other banshees had for our group help with the trust issue, either. But I trust Riona.

“This is it,” tain said quietly, nodding at a bulky mass of stone below the knoll, hidden between the mountains. Once the clouds’ shadows floated past, the moonlight illuminated the mass to be more than just stone blocks: a medieval castle, dark and ominous, stood regally behind a set of tall iron gates.

Marlene poked me in the back. “Lily, isn’t that where the Founders were once kept prisoners?”

Was it? I vaguely remembered a sleepy history lesson from Professor Binns, a dusty textbook, and a picture of a castle similar to the one down below us…

“Do we all know what to do?” asked Riona, catching my eye and glancing at Remus carefully. We both nodded.

“Good,” Riona said curtly. She turned to tain. “It is only fair to trade one of your members for ours. For the sake of peace,” she explained, when tain shot her a suspicious look.

“Peter will go with you, while one of you will come with us,” Remus added.

“WHAT?” Peter shook Remus by the shoulders. “You can’t just toss me away!”

Riona made an impatient sound. “Both of you will return to us once we liberate the prisoners, which is our only goal – right?” she asked, arching an eyebrow at tain. Despite a moment’s hesitation, the banshee priestess nodded. She then pointed a long fingernail at one of the banshees behind her. “Branwen, go with them.”

Without a word, the stoic, white Branwen stood and walked to our group, not looking at any of us but at somewhere over our heads. Grudgingly, Peter did the same, but not without casting accusing scowls at Remus, who appeared unaffected.

Edited by *Liliana*, 15 February 2009 - 06:27 PM.

LaLaLuna

LaLaLuna

Countess Devil Spawn

• 7,537 posts
They knew they shouldn't have trusted Etain, but they went anyway. She's so deceitful!

What was the globe thingy Lily had? Rather, how did Sirius come into possession of it, since it was his. I wonder if it's a Divination orb...will a future be seen in it or was what Lily saw a future?

So where exactly did Regulus take James and Sirius? Was it a house (the Black house) or a prison? Sirius is a strange fellow. He doesn't fear torture or death, they seem like just another adventure to him. The mysterious Helena is slowly being revealed. We now know she's Muggleborn, but still doesn't give us the why she's "after" James. His reaction to her being imprisoned with him and Sirius was pretty funny.

Great update!

IKWT!

My Fics

Ghostrider

Ghostrider

• PipPip
  • 99 posts
Hi Lil´s.

Two great chapters. When James and Sirius saw the ghosts I already had a feeling that Lily was around somewhere. The Death Eaters seemed to be very upset.
And a really nice cliffhanger in the end... ^_^

You asked with whom I would side: I´m not sure. The way you´re developing the situation makes it difficult. They´re both guilty and not guilty at the same time. Hmmm... I´m a bit more on Lily´s side (sorry, it sounds typically like that "all women stick together" stuff) because she had good reasons, BUT still she should´ve involved James by letting him know.

Now the globe. It was in the bag Sirius found and he thought it was Lilys. I think it belongs to Snape. He was with her, but why would he give it to her?
More things I have to think about... :lol:

Silvia
Posted ImagePosted Image

tazzy

tazzy

Lost in Thought

• PipPipPip
  • 892 posts
hmm. i like this sequel.so far so good. ppms!!!
Posted Image

FizzingWhizzbee

FizzingWhizzbee

• Pip
  • 65 posts
Wow, what a great update! Had to laugh at James and Sirius - they're still funny even in jail! :huh:

"Nah, just taking a nap," James joked hoarsely.

Times goes slowly when you're not having fun

"What plan?" Sirius retorted. "We'd only gotten as far as wondering how we can grow a third hand."

And "Regulus the Wuss" - somehow I can picture James and Sirius calling him that when they were little! ;)

Ah, how I love the Marauders! Okay, now that I'm done laughing ... I KNEW that Riona and them shouldn't have trusted Étain, but did they listen to me? NOPE! Way to end in a cliffie... I can't wait to read the next chapter! Keep it up!

...FizzingWhizzbee...

Ghostrider

Ghostrider

• PipPip
  • 99 posts
Hi Lil´s.

Something just came into my mind ;) - what if Snape did not leave the but Helena? Maybe it wasn´t (or was - who knows) her intention that someone found it...
Ah, I just had to add this *continues thinking* :huh:
Posted ImagePosted Image

nikcolarius

nikcolarius

.:Keeper:.

• PipPip
  • 321 posts
OMG! I know that you're not going to kill off James, but dam.n. For him to just get there and throw himself in front of Lily like that. He's so brave....~sigh~

Took me a while to get through more recent posts, but I finally did, and they're amazing as usual!

I do agree with Riona about going to rescue the prisoners. I understand Lily wanting to help, but they really need to focus on one thing at a time. Extending themselves like that isn't wise. You have to make tough choices sometimes and pick your battles.

I keep wondering about Riona's last vision. I know it'll play into the story somehow, but I'm not sure how.

Anyway, I'll find out soon enough o@. Take care!
What Luna Sees~~My very first attempt at fanfiction. It has turned into my own version of DH, though with a much different spin on it. Enjoy everybody!

Feel free to check out my editorials using the editorial link from the main page.

Willowgrl

Willowgrl

Avid Reader

• PipPip
  • 151 posts
Amazing chapter, Lils. Full of action and emotions!

Does Lily still feel guilty or unsure about her powerS? it seems like her dream at the start of the chapter showed some of her fears...esp. with the red hands. and the globe is mysterious. did lily activate it somehow or did it come alive on its own for some reason? interesting..

i'm glad that they freed the prisoners, because that prison seemed awful. so are the kakev banshees? it seems like etain knew them. but i'm so happy that james saved Lily! see! he still loves her!

and where did those ghosts come from? why? haha i still don't trust Helena...she's a harlot, like James says :P

It seems like the war is getting worse....

PPMS!!! :D :D :D

*Liliana*

*Liliana*

The Storyteller

• PipPipPipPip
  • 6,969 posts
Hanna: Thank you, dearie! There's something to be said about trust in that last chapter. They trusted each other, but a little too much LOL. Otherwise, Lily should've spoken up about her doubts with Etain. And yet...she and James trust their friends too much. The globe that Lily found in her bag is essential to the plot. You're right, Severus first found it, but not necessarily for himself. You'll find out more about it later, but the description of the globe when Lily touches it is important. Regelus took James and Sirius to the prison where Lily and Riona went. Small world, eh? :P It's also the prison where prisoners that Voldemort will "use" later are kept, rather than at Azkaban under the guard of maddening Dementors. And we all know how rash Sirius can be! You gotta love him for that. I'm glad you liked James's reaction to Helena popping up out of nowhere (she's actually a halfblood, as she says) - it was a lot of fun to write. James likes to be in control of situations, and Helena is something that just won't let him do that.

Silvia: Thank you for your two great comments. The ghosts' appearances aren't related to Lily, though, I'm glad you liked that chapter. The cliffie was fun to write, too. Well, I'm sure that picking Lily's side is sensible. Although, I tend to side with James because he's just so darn cute. Haha! Why Snape would give Lily the globe is beyond me. Wouldn't that disrupt his plans? :P

Tazzy: WELCOME BACK! *hands you a bag of Bertie Bott's* Thanks for reading and responding! I'm very happy you like the sequel so far. I look forward to your comments :P

FizzingWhizzbee: Thank you very much! Haha, Sirius and James could not help but be funny while in jail. They have to crack jokes, otherwise they get easily bored. I think Sirius has ADD. In my mind, Sirius and James called Reg "Regelus the Wuss" - it just seems to fit the wuss. :D Alas, Riona is as stubborn as Sirius and wouldn't listen to anyone about Etain. But now she learned her lesson!

nikcolarius: Thank you for continuing to read and respond, sweets! Hehe, James is a girl's hero, ain't he? Lily can't really stay mad at him forever after what he did. But yeah, James didn't even stop to think about what to do (in this story anyway) for Lily. Picking your battles is very important, but these characters have a minds of their own. They don't listen to their author. :P But at least it's more exciting to read when they make mistakes, LOL. But you can bet that they learned their lessons. You're right about Riona's vision playing a huge part! HUGE.

Willow: Thankees! Yes, Lily still feels guilty that she isn't able to fully understand her powers or save others as much as she wants to. But she has to understand there are limitations to everything, and that she didn't have control over certain things (like her parents' deaths). The globe is very important, and your guesses are very close... YES, the Kakev were ONCE banshees. What made them turn? A decision to kill the victims in their visions because of the pain they felt when they had those visions. Yeah, kind of creepy. Where the ghosts came from will be revealed shortly. HAHA, Helena, a harlot? Whatever made you think that? :P

Woo hoo! 5 is my favorite number! Hope you enjoy this chapter - let me know what you think of the twists and turns...*cackles*

~-~~-~~-~~-~~-~~-~~-~~-~~-~~-~~-~~-~~-~

5.Have a Little Faith

Remember this? I chuckled softly as I held up the laminated page, pointing to the photograph in the middle. It showed a boy with messy dark hair and playful hazel eyes holding up a screaming red-haired girl over his head, and then throwing her into the Great Lake. The miniature James was laughing his head off and waving up at us from the photograph, while the miniature version of me was madly trying to swim to shore while splashing James.

I rested the photo album against the pillow, next to the unconscious form of James. Even though youre all grown up now, you still have that boyish grin, I said, straining to keep my voice light as my fingers stroked his cold, pale skin. Smile for me, James. Smile like you used to. Placing my head gently against his shoulder, I whispered urgently, Please, James. I need to see you smile.

But James was motionless. Swallowing, I turned the album page, and this time, tears crept into my eyes. The picture showed James and I on our wedding day, smiling while trying to hide from Alices insistent camera shots. Sirius was off to the side, grinning at something beyond the frame. In the picture, our wedding rings glimmered under the chandelier light of my parents house almost as brightly as Jamess eyes as he looked at me.

How is he?

Quickly I wiped my eyes before I shut the album and turned around. Sirius stood in the doorway of the bedroom, his face troubled.

Hes stable, I replied, folding my arms and nodding as if to reassure myself of the fact. Alice is tending himher remedies work wondersshes always managed healing spells better than I ever have.

And how are you? asked Sirius, examining James a minute before he eyed me closely. You look awful.

I shrugged. Has the Order taken care of the last escapees?

Yes, theyve been placed in hiding or taken out of the country, Sirius answered, scratching his chin, appearing distracted. Theyll be fine. Listen, I came here to check up on James, but I also wanted to talk to you. I know you still have something against James for what he confessed

Not anymore. The words slipped out of my mouth before I could think. But then I nodded firmly. All I want is for James to wake up, to be by my side again. He risked his life my breath hitched, and I tightened my fists to keep the tears from falling.

Well, I think its important for you to know the truth, Sirius insisted. He glanced at James. Hed want you to know. Its the least I can do for him.

Dont talk about him as if he were already dead!

Sirius glared at me. You know, youre making it really hard for me to be nice. I didnt say James is dying. What Im saying is that hes always gotten my back, and now I have his. Do you remember the witch that arrived with James and me, back at the Jarogn Prison?

Looking at Sirius, I remembered James once said that Sirius could be more stubborn than an old hippogriff. So I played along. Yeah, what about her?

Holding up both hands as if I were about to burst out screaming, Sirius continued. The witch is the one, wellyou know He nodded at James and shrugged.

I stared at him. And how is this going to make me feel better Sirius? I cant believe youd bring that up right now

Keep your panties on. Nothing happened Helena told me all about it. She admits that she actually drugged James because he wouldnt go with her otherwise he was so depressed and angry, and she thought that this potion would calm him down. Helena only got to undressing herself before James was knocked out by the potion. Look, he added, rolling his eyes at my skepticism, Shes at my flat if you want to give her Veritaserum. But I think shes being honest. Why would she hide anything now, seeing that she has no chance with James?

I remained silent. My eyes drifted to my comatose husband and then to the album that lay next to him on the pillow. Suddenly I knew the truth. What Sirius told me didnt even matter anymore. And, just as suddenly, I felt ashamed at myself for ever doubting James.

Thanks, I said, hugging Sirius tightly. Thanks for being a true friendPadfoot.

Getyour handsoff ofher, came a hoarse voice from the bed. Whirling around, I gave a delighted shriek Jamess eyes were open he was moving his head slightly and he looked so fully alive, alive, and he was gazing at me with the familiar brightness in his eyes.

I fell down at his bedside, taking his hand to my cheek and kissing it fervently. Its about bloody time, Potter youve had everyone worried, you know.

Especially this one, Sirius said, pointing at me. Shes been driving everyone mad for the last week she even forced me to find a rare dragons egg because Alice claims it helps clean the blood. I would just like you to know, Prongs, that Remus and I waded through several mucky swamps and battled a harpie to get you a bloody dragons egg.

James laughed, but his face cringed with pain, so he opted for a grin. Remind me to tip you both, then.

Itll be a hefty tip, Sirius said gruffly, but he patted Jamess shoulder and grinned.

Shifting cautious eyes to me, James rasped, I thought you were mad at me. He tightened his hold on my hand.

I placed a finger to his lips. You shouldnt talk. Actually, thats a good rule to follow from now on wed avoid a lot of trouble that way. He smiled and kissed my finger.

All right, before things get revolting, Im outta here, Sirius said, rolling his eyes and walking to the door. But Alice almost ran into over in her hurry to come inside they ended up in a pile of arms, legs, a silver tray, and broken potion bottles on the floor.

Oh, youre awake! Alice said, jumping up and stepping on Siriuss arm to hasten over. She beamed at James. I knew the horntail dragons egg would work!

Uh, thankshey, the last time I saw you, you were the one unconscious, James said, while Alice flicked her wand at the broken potion bottles as Sirius was rubbing his arm and trying to get up. The bottles sucked up the liquid and placed themselves on the tray, which flew into the air and screeched to a halt beside Alice.

That was over a week ago, Alice said absently, examining a bottle holding a muddy brown liquid. No Death Eater will keep [/I]me[/I] in bed. Without warning, she opened Jamess mouth and poured in the liquid. James gagged, clutching me and the sheets, desperately attempting to swallow without choking.

Since St. Mungos is being watched by Death Eaters, Alice suggested we bring you to her flat, I told James as he fell down on the pillows, looking green. Shes the reason why youre still alive. Just breathe, sweetheart. The rotten egg taste will go away in a little bit.

And until then, eat this, Alice said, stuffing a huge piece of dark chocolate into Jamess mouth. Just take it easy, James. You dont want to choke, do you?

You should be a Healer, Alice, James said between chewing, his mouth filled with chocolate. Is Frank okay, too?

Of course, since I took care of him, said Alice airily, winking. Hes back at work, trying to play it safe under the Lestrange brothers watch theyve been made Directors of the Aurors, seeing as Mad-Eye was sacked.

WHAT? James shouted, then began coughing, looking greener than ever. I gave him more chocolate and petted his head while he calmed down.

Well, they had to blame someone for the mass prison breakout, Sirius said, shrugging. But Mad-Eye just says that this gives him more motivation to hunt and castrate the sons of hag b!tches that Voldemort has for followers, in his own words.

Two snapping pops brought Remus and Riona into the room. By now, the guest bedroom was getting rather crowded.

Remus smiled at James. Happy to see you still kicking, Prongs.

Happy to be seen, Moony, replied James, his mouth still stained with chocolate.

Well, I guess your exploit for the dragons egg wasnt useless after all, Riona commented to Remus.

Thanks, Riona, muttered James. Then he frowned. This dragons egg adventure sounds like it was interesting. Why do I always miss the good escapades?

Because you usually make yourself unconscious by some other escapade, I said, kissing his lips the only part of him that wasnt bruised.

We came to say good-bye, Riona said. I noticed that she and Remus were wearing worn traveling cloaks and carrying small rucksacks.

Cant say when well be back, Remus added. But well keep in touch. Im glad I got to see you before we left, though, he said to James. We didnt know if youd make it.

While James, Sirius and Remus sorted out last minute details, I walked over to Riona.

Are you off to?

The chief banshee tribe, yes. I knew kidnapping Branwen would come in handy. She finally broke and told us the tribes location, Riona said quietly. Her dark eyes were beaming. And thats just one step closer to finding out where those bloody centaurs are hiding.

Excellent. I glanced around, making sure no one could overhear us. And I know you said you wanted to be more truthful with Remus, but he doesnt need to know anything that could eventually harm him.

Or harm our plans, Riona said, nodding in agreement. Over her head, I saw that Alice was looking at us while she poured some orange juice for James from her wands tip into a glass.

Marlene is helping me decipher the runes on Swyn Llyfr, I said softly, turning from Alice. I think the clue to discovering the ancient magic for the pact should be written in the book.

Its time we left, Remus said, glancing at Riona, who placed her hood over her head. Shaking Jamess foot good-bye and clapping Sirius on the back, Remus waved to Alice and me before he and Riona, who nodded good-bye to all of us, Disapparated.

All Im saying is that Helena had guts, Sirius was saying, arms behind his head. And I admire that.

Drugging me isnt exactly the best way to win my heart, James said dryly. A wary air came over his pale face when he noticed that I was listening.

I sat at the foot of the bed. You forgave me after I abandoned you for eight months, without any reason. And just a few days ago, you nearly died to save my life not for the first time, by the way. How can I not trust you, James?

Well, when you put it that way But the look in Jamess eyes was grateful.

Sirius broke into a wicked grin. Hey Prongs, doesnt Helena remind you of yourself, oh, about four years ago?

I wasnt that crazy over Lily, Padfoot.

I tapped a finger to my chin. Actually, there was the time you snuck a love potion into my pumpkin juice and ended up drugging yourself, Sirius, Remus, and Peter as well eventually, you almost burnt down the Great Hall and forced Dumbledore to outlaw the love potion at Hogwarts.

Remus was the one who drugged our drinks James muttered.

Cant believe I didnt think of it first, said Sirius, regretfully.

I laughed, looking over at Alice. Wasnt that the time you and Frank But the look on her face made me stop short.

Without even speaking to me, I knew Alice was upset. Of course, Im an Empath, so I felt definite stings of resentment and anger coming from her but then, she and I had been best friends for nine years. And when she walked out of the room without a second glance at me, I knew for sure that Alice was mad.

I left Sirius and James, who were debating whether it was James or Remus who had been the mastermind behind the love potion prank, and followed Alice into the hallway.

Alice, I began, hesitantly, I havent properly thanked you for what youve done for James. We both owe you our lives

I only did what was right, said Alice in a clipped tone. Her face taut and her blue eyes cold, she turned from me to walk to the kitchen.

If youre mad at me, please tell me why, I said, standing in the kitchen doorway. I watched as Alice mechanically took out a teapot and waved her wand at it. While the pot began to fill with water, she looked at me.

Why should I be mad? I mean, just because my best friend and the girl who I thought was my other best friend exclude me from everything now

We do not! I gaped at her. Then the full force of Alices resentment hit me, and I winced.

I thought you had Empathic powers. Alice sniffed, tossing her head and flicking on the gas burner under the teapot with her wand. Ive kept quiet for a while now, but how can I keep doing so when you and Riona whisper and laugh together and push me off to the side?

I shook my head firmly. Riona and I are both doing stuff for the Order, Alice Kind of. At least, the Order also wanted Swyn Llyfr to be destroyed. Im sorry if youve felt left out.

You didnt even visit me or Frank while we lay in St. Mungos at the brink of death!

The Healers said that you would be fine, and then we were off to break out the prisoners

Did you know Frank said we should put the wedding on hold? Alice asked, her voice becoming shrill. She laughed mirthlessly when I gasped. He says that its too dangerous for us to marry right now. Of course, what he doesnt say is that hes too scared! She banged the teapot onto the counter, and boiling chamomile splashed onto my hand.

I cried out in pain, but nothing could stop Alices outburst now. She flicked her wand at a cupboard, and out came a pack of raisin and cinnamon biscuits. Not to mention that my parents are second-guessing my marriage as well! They never liked Frank because they always felt jealous of his blood lineage, but now they say he isnt rich enough for me! Theyre threatening to disinherit me if I dont break it off with him!

Opening my mouth wordlessly, I jumped when Alice slammed a torn newspaper clipping onto the counter in front of me. Added to all of that, I found this article in this mornings paper.

PRISON BREAK OUT ALERTS MINISTRY TO TERRORIST FACTION

At a late press conference last night, Ministry representatives alerted the magical community to a terrorist faction that was responsible for last weeks break out from Jarogn Prison.

They call themselves the Order of the Phoenix, said Representative Evan Rosier, son of Deputy Nicodemus Rosier of the Ministry Executive Board of Magic. They helped thirty-five criminals escape from a highly fortified magical prison for political traitors and criminal spies. However, the Ministry of Magic is confident that our Imperials will swiftly eliminate this dangerous faction from harming our peaceful magical community.

The Ministry Executive Board has taken every precaution to protect obedient civilian wizards and witches, assured Theodore Nott, one of the three executive members. But those who, for whatever foolish reason, have not complied with the magical registration laws or harbor tainted relations with political conspirators will be placed under immediate watch.

The Order of the Phoenix was also responsible for setting half of the prison on fire, which killed many other prisoners, and letting loose six Kakevi who killed several watch wizards.

Rumors have circulated that Albus Dumbledore, Headmaster of Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry, may be involved in the terrorist organization.

Hes always defended Muggles and dangerous magical creatures, Dumbledore has, __, Head of the Department of Magical Creature Control. I wouldnt be surprised if that rumor was true.

The Ministry of Magic has warned the community to report suspicious activity to the Imperials, who are ordered to kill Order of the Phoenix members on sight.

Kill them on sight?

Rabastan Lestrange made a face. Yes, thats what I said. Dont tell me youre developing a conscience, Snape. Thats so He took a puff on his cigar and blew the acrid smoke into the air. Inconvenient.

Im only conveying my surprise, Severus Snape replied, shrugging as he leaned against the lounges paneled wall. The Dark Lord must be desperate to find these Order of the Phoenix members. I never thought that they were that important. He relaxed his hands, which had clenched into fists at his side when Rabastan told him the news.

The Dark Lord is never desperate, Rabastan corrected. Desperation is an admission of fear, and the Dark Lord knows no fear.

Our demonstration today will show you whether I fear anything, said a voice behind them.

Snapes Death Mark itched as he turned around to face Voldemort, who had entered the Lestrange Manor lounge with Bellatrix and Rodolphous Lestrange, Lucius and Narcissa Malfoy, Theodore Nott, Antonin Dolohov, Harmon Avery, and Nicodemus and Evan Rosier in tow.

Your power and wisdom already proves that no fears inhibit you, my lord, said Severus slickly, bowing as Voldemort stood in front of the stone fireplace.

Who said anything about fears inhibiting me? Voldemort asked, a slight chuckle in his high-pitched voice, his reddened eyes piercing Snapes mind. Fears are like enemies, Severus. You kill any who get in your way. He nodded at Bellatrix, who cast him a delighted smile and hastened to the door, closing it quietly behind her.

I have called you all here because you are the closest to me in my inner circle. Some, I have known for yearsand some of you have proven your loyalties to me time and time again. Voldemort glanced at the door, and then surveyed them all closely. What Bella will bring here is an apparatus that I find interesting. The past is where truth is hidden, my Death Eaters. And truth is sometimes as fatal as the most skilled Killing Curse

Severus frowned in confusion, but they all turned to the door when Bellatrix came in. At her side stood a petite, haggard woman. The dark circles under her yellowed eyes, the pastiness of her skin, and the flimsy steps she took signaled complete disorientation. Around her neck and head were several frayed scarves, from which matted dark brown hair cascaded around her small face and past her worn robes.

Here is the Phasm Appelus, my lord, said Bellatrix, her chin high and haughty as she brought the woman to Voldemort.

Thank you, Bella Voldemort placed his hands behind his back as he circled the woman, who stared dumbly at the carpeted floor. You have given us much trouble during your imprisonment here. But at last I have some use for you, do I not? When the woman didnt answer, Voldemort curled his lip in disgust and flicked his wand at her head, then at her arms. The woman cried out as her head was forced to shake up and down while her arms were angled back and forced her to bow.

Thats much better, Voldemort murmured, while the Death Eaters laughed. But he held up his hand, and their laughter faded. Watch. This creature is one of the few magical creatures worthy of observation.

Voldemort flicked his wand once more at the woman, and her head was tilted upwards so that she met his fierce gaze. At once, the womans brown eyes began to glitter. White light shone from her pupils and a resonant voice came from her mouth, as though channeling through her:

The Outer World is connected. What is it that you seek?

A past noble and tied to me by blood, Voldemort said in a clear voice. The Death Eaters exchanged curious looks, but continued to watch.

Severus couldnt help but gasp as a shimmering figure walked through the Phasm Appelus in a rush of a howling wind, as though she were some kind of portal. His eyes widened when he realized the shining figure was a ghost: one tall, whiskered man wearing a long fur-trimmed cloak, who faintly resembled the Dark Lords hard features

The Phasm Appelus sighed and fell to the floor, unconscious.

You areyou are whom I think you are? asked the man, narrowing his eyes at Voldemort as if to recognize him.

I am your only heir, Salazar Slytherin, Voldemort said, while the rest of the Death Eaters murmured amongst themselves. And I have called you to ask a question that only you can answer.

Salazar Slytherin nodded, glancing at the others and around the room curiously.

The wizards seal to Swyn Llyfr was granted to the Minister of Magic for safekeeping, Voldemort began, his voice low. But this was decided by wizards, not by Merlinin fact, wasnt the seal entrusted to you?

Yes, Slytherin replied, rubbing the silver S clasp to his cloak, which was shaped like a snake. The seal was entrusted to the last remaining wizards after the war, but it was I who knew its true value and protected it.

Voldemort smiled, his eyes narrowing into small slits. The magic of Swyn Llyfr is tied to its seals. And if the Minister lost the seal, but the seal cannot be destroyed, where might it be?

Sirius, where are your blankets

But I froze in the doorway, my eyes popping at the sight before me.

Arms and legs wrapped around each other like octopi, Sirius and a curly haired woman were snogging madly on his couch. I had to clear my throat twice before Sirius deigned to look at me. He smirked.

Hey, if you want to watch, Im all for that, Sirius said, shrugging. Beneath him, the curly haired woman giggled.

I made a disgusted face and placed my hands on my hips. Well, Im not, thanks. I just want to know where your extra blankets are, James is cold

Lily, this is Helena Birch, Helena, this is Lily, said Sirius lazily, gesturing at both of us and leaning back on the couch. I glared at him.

Hello, Helena greeted, straightening her half-undone blouse and smiling at me. My glare became fiercer. A pregnant silence grew.

Well, Helena finally said, glancing at her watch. This is really awkward, isnt it? I really wish there was more to talk about. Since theres not, Ill be leaving. She picked up her cloak from the floor, winked at Sirius, and glanced at me. A minx of a smile spread over her heart-shaped face. Sorry about your husband. With that, she went out the door.

My eyes narrowed, and I called after her: Do you mean about his near fatal accident or the fact that you drugged him? But the door was shut before the words left my mouth.

You should really get over that, Sirius pointed out, jumping up and brushing back his tussled hair.

In response, I tossed the nearest sofa cushion at his head. He cried out. I had good aim.

I cant believe youd bring her here! After Alice and I had that row and since we found out our place is being heavily watched, we came over to your place because you said James could find peace and quiet!

Peace and quiet doesnt constitute celibacy, Sirius retorted. What, you think I dont know you and James are snogging behind closed doors? Being bruised and stuck in bed doesnt stop Prongs.

I rolled my eyes and threw up my hands in exasperation. Its not only that, Sirius! Dont you remember that Im wanted by an entire legion of Aurors, not to mention by the dictator thats running our world? We cant have just anyone over here

Helena is safe, Sirius said, strolling over to a decanter on a side table. He poured some firewhiskey into two crystal glasses. Trust me. Ive taken proper precautions.

You better have, because

A knock sounded on the door. Sirius looked at me expectantly, and I stalked to the door. If it was Helena, I would make sure she wouldnt be able to find her way here again

I squinted into the door hole, glancing down the busy street of Notting Hills brick townhouses. But no one was there. Then someone cleared his voice behind the door, and a voice said softly: Fawkes is at home.

Hastily I pulled the door open, making sure to stay hidden. The wooden floor was splashed with rainwater from outside as the invisible person walked in. When I closed the door, Dumbledore materialized.

You look like you need some of this, professor, Sirius said, handing Dumbledore some firewhiskey. Dumbledore nodded his gratitude.

I am relieved to find you here, Dumbledore told me, sitting down on the couch. With his shoulders hunched and his face pale, he looked exhausted. When I went your flat, I feared

I closed my eyes, shaking my head. Its been ransacked, hasnt it?

You wouldnt recognize it if you went back there, Dumbledore replied. What hasnt been destroyed has been stolen. Now, it could be just a Muggle robbery, yet the scorch marks I found on the walls say differently. Someone thought you and James were there and was ready to kill you both.

Sirius shot me a knowing look. Arent you glad youre here?

I ignored him. Dont worry, professor. Before we came here, I went back home to get the stuff we needed.

Dumbledores eyes darkened with urgency. So Eeros seal and the book are safe?

Of course. Riona and I are protecting both. In fact, Marlene and I are almost finished with deciphering Swyn Llyfrs runes. We think were on the right track.

Good, good

So I hear youre a wanted man, professor, I said, placing my hand on his shoulder and grinning. Welcome to the ranks of the elite dangerous wizards and witches.

A small smile crept over Dumbledores tired face. I am in good company, Im sure. But Im afraid other members of the Order are in more serious danger. A member has already disappeared a member you may not know very wellnonetheless, she is very important. Astra Trafford.

Sirius scratched the stubble on his chin thoughtfully. Didnt she work with Hestia Jones to protect Muggles in London, where the last attack on Muggles occurred?

Exactly. For the past month, Astra has been working with Peter and Hestia to bring us information on where other attacks may occur. But Peter and Hestia have lost trace of Astra none of my contacts can find her either. Taking off his glasses and rubbing his hands over his face, Dumbledore murmured, I feel responsible. I shouldve never asked Astra to go out in public, to place herself at risk

Im sure she knew the risk, Dumbledore. We all do.

This is different, Sirius. Astra is different. Yet Dumbledore replaced his glasses and looked at us both. I must have faith. We all must have faith.

For some reason, his words made me remember the newspaper clipping Alice had shown me. Even if its hard to find faith at this time?

Thats when we most need it. Sometimes, faith marks the difference between living in despair and living with hope.

Edited by *Liliana*, 15 February 2009 - 06:30 PM.

Endad

Endad

.:Beater:.

• PipPip
  • 154 posts
  • I am a:Wizard
Those were great chapters! So they were all in Jarogn Prison? It must be like Grindelwald's Nuremburg :D and their slogan "Purity is Perfection" :rolleyes: sounds like the kind of place you'd meet death eaters! lol
And Mad-Eye's been sacked! Maybe this will mean he'll become more involved with the order now - he's always been a bit of a rebel lol :) And Etain and the banshees! Its funny who people will align themselves with if they share a common goal, I think they were asking for it! lol

PPMS!!! :D
Enda
Nitwit, Blubber, Oddment, Tweak!

Ghostrider

Ghostrider

• PipPip
  • 99 posts
Hi Lil´s.

That Astra is missing is Peter´s work. That little rat ;)

Snape´s reaction was interesting, but not unexpected.

About the globe:
Hmmm, you´re right - how would that fit into Snape´s plans, or maybe Helena´s?
But I still think the globe is important somehow.
Ah, I still cannot make sense of it - but I could be on the wrong track then...
Anyway - at the moment I´m sure that I´m right (at least somehow) ;)

Finally Helena: I don´t trust her! There´s something going on. She could not get at James, now she´s trying on Sirius. But why?

Lot´s of theories of conspiracies ^_^

See ya
Silvia
Posted ImagePosted Image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users