Welcome to .: The Snitch Harry Potter Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Why? How?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

zsofix

zsofix

Go HolyGrail, go!

• .:Snitch Members:.
  • PipPip
  • 123 posts
  • I am a:Squib
  • House:Ravenclaw
I've read CoS ages ago, and yet this started to bother me only a few days ago...

So: The door was found in the washroom. The Chamber was built 1000 years ago... 1000 years ago there was no sutch thing as a proper toilet, flushed with water, (not in Britain I guess) so no nead of extended pipe-sistem...

I guess Hogwarts was rebuilt and restored over the years (with the discovery of modern toilets) How did the door survive? How come that nobody became suspicious? (I see, no parseltongue, no entrance)

Any ideas?

Fix :)

PS: I know, I'm horrible...
If this was discussed before, close my topic. I was nowhere near the Snitch the time CoS came out first. Thanks!

Edit: I edited the title so folks will know what the topic is about. Hope you don't mind.

Edited by marymcbeth, 26 August 2005 - 11:01 AM.

"The Memory throws up high and dry all sort of twisted things..."
/T. S. Eliot/

minisnitch

minisnitch

smile. it confuses people

• PipPip
  • 404 posts
  • I am a:Witch
er, maybe wizards invented flushing toilets first, its all i can think if to explain. thats a good point though
"I'm not worried, Harry," said Dumbledore. "I am with you."

willbo

willbo

.:Snitch Nobody:.

• PipPipPip
  • 1,452 posts
wasn't the door hidden behind the sink? :nuts:
"What will come, will come and we will face it when it does." - Hagrid
"We are only as strong as we are united, as weak as we are divided." - Dumbledore
"In times of difficulty we must make the choice between what is right and what is easy." - Dumbledore

"Nothing worth having comes easy" - me

Crystal

Crystal

<3

• PipPipPip
  • 2,981 posts
  • House:Hufflepuff
I'm certain there used to be a topic like this, but I guess it's gone now... The Egyptians actually had plumbing dating back to 3000 bc. Look up "egyptian plumbing" in google or something and you'll find some info on that.

It's also possible that, instead of people rebuilding and restoring the castle, as you said, the castle actually rebuilds and restores itself. After all, it has house elves, moving staircases, and rooms that turn into anything you need, I doubt it needs much help from people to keep up to date with it's plumbing.

marymcbeth

marymcbeth

Den Mother

• .:Forum Admin:.
  • 3,762 posts
  • House:Hufflepuff
I love your explanation of the castle restoring itself, Crys. Cool. As the castle is updated, the entrance to the chamber is updated too. *imagines privy with little snake etched in stone on the wall*

Romans had plumbing, too.

Posted Image Posted Image

All Aboard!

zsofix

zsofix

Go HolyGrail, go!

• PipPip
  • 123 posts
Yeah, my Mom also suggested that Hogwarts was under an 'Up- to-date' curse... ^_^

I know that romans had plumbings, but... well, we muggles forgot nearly everything they knew, after the fall of the empire. Maybe wisards kept up their knowledge...
"The Memory throws up high and dry all sort of twisted things..."
/T. S. Eliot/

Pigmypuff

Pigmypuff

.:Chaser:.

• PipPip
  • 102 posts
I like the idea of the castle restoring itself!
Also, it's magic! So the plumbing obviously won't follow our muggle logic-- remember Mr Weasley's comments about the silly muggles calling in those... "pumbles [plumbers], bless them" in OotP, when Willy Widershins (sorry... bad spelling, I think) cursed the Bethnal Green toilet to regurgitate.
So our explanations really won't fit Hogwarts at all-- as wizards are always saying, muggles keep coming up with creative inventions to make up for not having magic. I'd guess plumbing is among these...
~Lucie
"Just because you have the emotional range of a teaspoon doesn't mean we ALL have" ~Hermione, OotP
"I'm tall," said Ron inconsequentially. ~HBP
"I LOVE Magic!" ~Harry, GoF (movie)

filchescat

filchescat

STILL A PROUD H/H SHIPPER

• PipPipPip
  • 819 posts
  • House:Slytherin
The only problems with the castle restoring itself is that the castle has several secret passags that have caved in (according to Gred and Forge) and they haven't restored themselves. The same with Draco's wardrobe...He had to repair it. It didn't update itself. No, we must logically assume that Salazar invented the chamber and the secret passage to it 1000 years ago.

meow,

Filchescat
"Hermione was the only one to realize that Crookshanks was still grieving about Mrs Norris and Mr Big Paws."
(HBP pg. 364)

azazeal_666

azazeal_666

Love, not time, is what heals wounds

• PipPipPip
  • 616 posts
If the door was hidden behind a sink, and you need to be able to speak parseltounge to open the door, then whoever happened to rennovate the bathrooms wouldnt have noticed the door would they? All they would notice would be the little snake that Harry sees (I think he saw a little carved snake anyway). And even then the person would probably just think "Oh look at that little carving...it must just be for decoration" or something like that.
*~* Laura *~*

"And you cant fight the tears that aint coming,
Or the moment of truth in your lies,
When everything feels like the movies,
Yeah youd bleed just to know yoiur alive"
Iris - The Goo Goo Dolls

pwca

pwca

.:Medic:.

• Pip
  • 57 posts
  • Location:Eau Claire, WI, USA, North America, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way, Universe (Near the Abyss of Nothingness)
updating and restoring are two different things.

Updating is completly changing, while restoring is fixing.

So the castle can update itself, but it can't repair damage. Such as a wardrobe, or a secret passage. Right?
"The truth is that even big collections of ordinary books distort space, as can readily be proved by anyone who has been around a really old-fashioned secondhand bookshop, one of those that look as though they were designed by M. Escher on a bad day and has more staircases than stories and those rows of shelves which end in little doors that are surely too small for a full-sized human to enter. The relevant equation is: Knowledge = power = energy = matter = mass; a good bookshop is just a genteel Black Hole that knows how to read."
Terry Pratchett, Guards Guards

aliyah

aliyah

Da world in my feet!

• PipPip
  • 229 posts
  • House:Slytherin
well, many answers to this question have already been given and i totally agree but it was so clever of you to think that up! i'd never have thought of that!!

Learn to laugh at yourself.But dont laugh too much or ppl wont take you seriously.

Guest_Liza_*

Guest_Liza_*
  • .:Spectators:.

updating and restoring are two different things.

Updating is completly changing, while restoring is fixing.

So the castle can update itself, but it can't repair damage. Such as a wardrobe, or a secret passage. Right?

Oh, that's a great point!

Evidently the castle can't fix things ... but update. But how does the castle do it? Wouldn't someone notice the sink or so being updated? Hmm ...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users