Welcome to .: The Snitch Harry Potter Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Six Years After

• Please log in to reply
115 replies to this topic

Wolf

Wolf

.:Prowling the forums:.

• .:Snitch Members:.
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,302 posts
  • I am a:Wizard
  • House:Hufflepuff
Posted Image
Thanks for the wonderful coverart Erwan!! :lol:

*looks up from writing table*

Oh... hello. What are you doing here? You are here for my story? You mean that people are actually interested in this sequel? Well that is nice to know.

Well, just in case, if you are not familiar with Yannick Silverleaf, I strongly suggest that you go and read Discovery for a New Student first. You can find it here. I say this because I strongly doubt you will be able to understand this story without reading it, as most of the characters in this story have been introduced in the previous one.

Most, but not all... does that mean that you are about to see some new faces? Perhaps... I won't say more as I want to enjoy surprising you a bit. ;)

Also to now, my work is using the Harry Potter timeline of Entropist, the talented writer that brought you the fics: "Magical Jam", "The Seal of Chaos" and the Atlantean Triology. You will find references of events from his fics in mine and, while it is not a requirement, I strongly recommend you to read his fics as well as they are definitely worth it.

Alright... enough with the talk. How about getting to the story huh? :P

*Grins and goes back onto writing*

Disclaimer: This story is taking place in an alternate time line. It was started before HPB came out and so the events of that book never happened in this story and never will. Alternate Universe. This timeline was created by Entropist and I use it with his agreement.

Prologue: Black against White
--------------------------------------

Darkness has fallen on the forest. The sun gives its place to the moon and stars and slowly, animals of the night start to fill the night with their sounds and song. A tree stands in a clearing, its bark reflecting the moonlight where some sap is exuding from a recent cut. A small shape is seen moving at the tree's base, attracted by the insects that feast upon the wounded tree. Long snout with highly sensible whiskers, the vole is a deadly predator for them. The air is dry from the summer, the ground is dry and the worms, its favorite food, are burrowed deep in it and out of reach. Raising its head the vole looks upon the best way to reach what it has now decided will be its meal for the night.

A rush of wind, a shadow falls from a nearby branch. Deadly talons catch the rodent who realizes the danger when it is already too late. Reaching another perch, the owl gives its prey the killing blow with its beak. Second kill of the night, the first went to the fledglings, but the hunter must also cater to its own needs if he wants to be successful tonight. The owl feasts on its kill, its plumed ears still moving to pay attention to the sounds nearby.

A snap of a twig, the owl looks up its golden eyes alert. Movement, a tall form appears in the clearing, moving without a sound. The owl hoots, a warning that he will not give its kill away, the form stops, its slender hands reaching a hood and pulling it back, uncovering long silvery hair. The place is near, she knows it. Being in accord with the nature of the forest she felt it die. Why would one kill such innocent creature?

Her eyes dart around the clearing, trying to find the fallen form. Nothing. She then sees it, some pure white hairs coming out of a tall bush. She moves quickly to the spot, fearing what she knows is there already. Parting the branches her eyes meet with the fallen creature. Spotless white body of a horse and long slender horn on its head, the unicorn lies on the ground, dead.

She sighs. This is the second kill in as many weeks. The first was a foal, but tonight it is an adult. A bit of comfort fills her when she realizes that the death came as a surprise and that the pain was very brief. She suddenly realizes that the kills are not aimless. Someone is trying to bring her out. Someone who knows her link with nature and how much she cares for every single animal in this forest. Someone who vies for what she is safe-keeper of. Someone who is watching her from the tree in the clearing.

Wand in hand she turns around, knowing already that he is there. Her eyes meet with his. He is looking at her, his shoulder against the tree's trunk. Even in the darkness she can make out a satisfied sneer on his face. Him that used to be so protective of life before, how could he change so much? She knows the answer and his acts have proven that he is beyond help.

"Is that all you can think of to confront me?" she asks, her voice cutting through the night. "Killing creatures that are the embodiment of innocence and wisdom?"

He does not answer, but she sees him bowing his head with a little smile, an evil smile.

"You are despicable," she continues, disgusted by his lack of remorse. "You should have no rights to enter this sacred forest."

"You know what I want, blood traitor," he replies. "My acts will continue until you give me what is rightfully mine."

"It was never yours," she shoots back, "Nor will it ever be, you are not worthy it."

"You talk about worth? You? The shame of our race?"

"And what are you?" she shoots back, "The perfect example?"

"You married him," he accuses.

"I married him out of love," she replies, "You wanted to marry me for power."

"They are lower than us," he says, "We were created to rule them."

"I had always hoped that we could somehow bring you back to reason," she says, sadly. "I now see that it is impossible."

"You do not know me," he starts.

"You do not know yourself," she cuts him harshly, "Have you forgotten all you learned? Forgotten the sacredness of life itself?"

"Do not speak to me about sacredness, you wench," he says, taking a step towards her.

"Come any closer and I will be forced to harm you," she warns, her wand coming in view.

"You cannot harm me," he laughs, "I am much more powerful than you are."

"Your certainty in your power is your weakness," she says.

"Your love for lesser beings is yours," he shoots back, "Now tell me where you hid them."

"You will never get your hands on them while I breathe," she answers.

"Very well," he says, "If you wont tell it willingly, I will make you tell it in pain. CRUCIO!" he roars, slashing the air with his wand.

The spell's energy speeds through the air towards her. A muttered incantation and a twirl of her wand, something invisible forms in front of her, blocks the curse and disperses its energy.

"I am warning you," she says, bringing her wand at the ready again, "do not force me to hurt you."

Another shouted incantation, another spell flies thought the air, only to be stopped again by shield of air. This time retaliation comes and a silvery orb speeds towards her attacker, causing him to shield himself and putting him on the defensive. He cannot win, she knows it, but he needs to realize it. Lightning erupts from his wand, again being blocked by the powerful shield spell she now casts for the third time.

The duel continues, the two adversaries sending spells at each other. He is frustrated. She should not be so powerful. He thinks quickly for a better spell while he deflects her counterattack. Yes, this spell should do the trick. Making a cross sign with his wand he utters the powerful incantation. A beam of red light flies towards her. She knows the spell, a very hard one to defend. A quick motion of her wand and the shield is up again, blocking the spell just barely. The strength of it sends her to hit a tree truck behind. Pain shoots through her back and she muffles a cry of pain.

"You cannot prevent it," he laughs, "It is only a matter of time before I prevail, and I have that time."

She smiles faintly. "Not tonight," she says, "time is something that you do not have."

Sound can be heard in the distance. Running, shouting. She smiles, support will be here very soon, much sooner than he expected. The moonlight reflects his angry face.

"You win tonight, wench," he says, "But know that I know of other ways to make you give me what is mine by right." he adds, before disapparating.

She relaxes, he is gone, but for how long? The question comes at her while she pockets her white wand. So much fighting, for so long. Will it ever end? She turns in the direction of the sounds. They'll be here very shortly. A silvery form appears near her.

"You did not tell me that you were going out alone," it says.

"I did not really believed that he would be that bold," she answers.

"Are you alright?" it asks.

"I am," she says, "Apart from a bruised back." she adds.

"That can easily be fixed," the shape says, "I just wish I could have done something to help you."

"You could not have, you know that," she says gently, facing the shape, "This was part of the bargain so you could stay."

The shape sighs, the others will be here in a minute. "Does his return mean what I think it means?" it asks.

"Yes," she answers sadly, turning to meet the men who have appeared in the clearing, "It is time," she adds, "And I can only hope that they had enough time."

"Why do I have the feeling that history is repeating itself?" the shape asks.

"Because in a way it is, Love," she answers, "But this time the outcome might very well be different."

Okay... the way this prologue was written might have baffled some of you at the start and to tell you the truth I have no idea why I wrote it this way... just felt like it. I guess it makes it more mys:D

Have no fear though... the chapters that follow are written in my usual style.

Next: Chapter One: Morning memories.

.:My Fanfics:.
Completed: Discovery for a new student. and Six Years After
Planned: Chaos and Eternity (story skeleton being fleshed out)

.:Recommended Fics:.
Entropist and Lumia (aka: gmhpfan)
Fic World (repository of fics by Wolf, Entropist and Lumia)
Beginning: The Keeper of Swyn Llyfr by *Liliana*
Riddle and Secrets and Coming Full Circle by Lalaluna

gmhpfan

gmhpfan

master of bamboozlement

• PipPipPip
  • 1,660 posts
Awsome start to the new fic sylvain,
loved it just loved it

just the right amount of mystery and suspence

how could he kill a unicorn, a truly evil elf

g
Posted Image
huge thanks to erwan for the banner is'nt it wounderful
my fics, Harry's Gift, Legacy, Buffallo wings, The Tour, Panto and Remember Pheionix Day

harrysbabe

harrysbabe

xThe Future Mrs Potter!!x

• PipPipPip
  • 4,589 posts
  • I am a:Witch
  • House:Gryffindor
Hey great start Sylvain.....truly mysterious.....hmm but i think i know who the woman is :D .Can't wait for the next chapter,hope you post it soon!!
xHarrysbabex :wub:
Posted Image
Gorgeous sig by the talented Master of Magic!!

Quartet Productions Present -Harry Potter And The Quest Of Jess!

PaulaMcG

PaulaMcG

Author of the Exceptional Martyrizer of Remus

• PipPipPip
  • 1,651 posts
Sylvain,
Congratulations on starting to post your new fic – and on venturing to experiment with a different style in the opening! The deviation from the normal sentence structure at some points (e.g. "A snap of a twig, the owl looks up its golden eyes alert.") builds up a special feel in the narrative. However, I trust it's all exciting enough to capture any reader's interest, since the topic you deal with is death from the very beginning. Besides, you get to a dialogue and even to a duel scene so quickly that nobody could possibly get bored. It's also interesting that while you let us know something about the woman's thoughts, you keep the outsider's perspective. You are the omniscient narrator and decide to tease us by conceiling what you want, for instance by talking about "a shape". In my view this prologoue is mysterious enough but also snappy enough.
Posted Image
</span>
<span style='color:Gray'>Remus Lupin and the Revolt of the Creatures</span> <span style='color:Gray'> - and <span style='color:Gray'>short stories on Completed General Fanfiction</span> <span style='color:Gray'> - by PaulaMcG (Eija)</span>
<span style='color:Black'>No one knows you like I do / Nobody can know your heart the way I do /
No one can testify to all that you’ve been through / But this will. (Paul Simon & Derek Walcott, 1997.)</span>

LaLaLuna

LaLaLuna

Countess Devil Spawn

• .:Forum Moderator:.
  • 7,537 posts
  • House:Ravenclaw
After the last few months I've had, I've shied away from ffs too serious/dramatic and opted out for lighter stuff. . .so apologies for replying so late.

Great beginning Sylvain. Very supenseful and dramatic action. Giving us the idea who the two people might be, without telling us outright was well exicuted. (keeps us coming back to see if we're right :unsure: ) The duel also well done, fighting style very farmiliar, lol.

Fine begining to your sequel.

PPMS

Hanna

IKWT!

Beginnings:The Great Purification~by Liliana Muddied Black Blood~by Nicola
My Fics
Riddle and Secrets ~ Coming Full Circle ~ Living Memories ~ The Sorting of Priorities
Luna's Loss ~ A Summer's Day ~ Who Would Have Thought ~ Wilted Flower ~ Spring in the Air

ClosetHPF

ClosetHPF

.:Quidditch Captain:.

• PipPipPip
  • 2,375 posts
  • I am a:Squib
  • House:Slytherin
What a nice beginning to a new story. Looks like it's going to be another intriguing story like the first one. :nuke: I guess those who read your other story know who these 2 persons are.
The Rock of Ages General <span style='color:yellow'>Last Update: 28 May 2007</span>

Wolf

Wolf

• PipPipPip
  • 2,302 posts
Alright. Time to post chapter one. I want to let you know that chapter two will not be posted until Erwan comes back around the 13th. This is because he is my beta and right now has both chapter 2 and 3 to check. However he will do that after his exams. I might mention that he is having his first oral exams today and I wish him the best of luck on them.

Gail: Yup, you got that one right. Dark person indeed, but who? I am not telling. Hope you like this next one.

Harrysbabe: Thanks for the reply. So you think you know who the lady is? Interesting... but I am not saying anything about here as of yet... need to keep the mystery there.... :)

Eija: Thanks a lot for your answer. I am glad that the way I nrated was not too confusing. I found it funny to start this way as it also gave me more freedom on what I reveal or not. That said, it was only for the prologue... this next chapter is back to the same old way I am writing. Hope you like it.

Closet: Thanks for your answer. Glad to see that you like this start of a sequel. I think you will like this next chapter too.

Hannah: Yay! Your back on my threads again! :) Very happy to see you here and hope you will enjoy this story as much as you liked Discovery. I am sure that you will find stuff from Erwan in this story as well. ;)

Okay, here we go.

Chapter One: Morning memories
--------------------------------------------

London – A few month later

"Good morning Syal," Alexandra Dewitt said as she entered her kitchen, "Am I moving so much now that you prefer the table to my bed?" she asked the black cat who looked at her with its green eyes.

Syal meowed and leapt from the table to go to rub its back on her legs, purring loudly.

"Alright, I get it," she said, chuckling, "Let me just get it from the fridge and you will have your breakfast."

She opened the refrigerator and took out a pack of milk. She filled herself a glass of it and then poured some more in the little saucepan that was in a corner of the kitchen. Syal did not wait for its mistress to get up and went to lap the liquid avidly, purring in delight.

"Enjoy your meal girl," Alex said, caressing the back of her cat, "I'll prepare my own now."

She stood up, took out her wand and gave a flick towards the stove, causing some flames to sprout from the medium ring. She took a frying pan and set it on the stove after having added a nut of butter in it. She flicked her wand towards the refrigerator again, causing it to open and a pack of eggs and some bacon to fly out and set near the stove. One last flick caused one of the steel spatulas to come and hover by the pan, while the eggs cracked an spilled their content inside.

A small tapping noise was heard from the living rooms window. Letting her breakfast cook, she went to open the window, sipping some milk and flicked her wand. The window opened, letting in a tawny owl who went to perch itself on one of the living room's armchairs. Alex went to it and took the newspaper that was attached to its leg, putting the required amount of money in the pouch that was attached to the other leg. As soon as she had done this, the owl let out a hoot and flew out of the room again.

Setting her glass on the dinning table, Alex sat down on a chair and started to scan through the different headlines of the day. Sunday was never too good in news so she skipped to the sports headlines and more precisely, to Quidditch.

She had discovered this sport when she entered Hogwarts in her first year. Being from a Muggle family, she had only known Muggle sports before and one of her favourite had been baseball. Add that a pure passion for flying and she found herself totally liking Quidditch. She had managed to convince her father to buy a broom at the end of her first year and she tried out for one of the beater spot in her house team, Ravenclaw, in her second year. She had not made it but this did not discourage her at all.

She trained during her second year and tried again for tryouts in her third, when one of the beater spots was available due to one of them graduating. This time it payed off and she had not let go of her broom or of her beater club since then. Quidditch had become her life. She was now playing professional since four years and was part of the Wimbourne Wasp squad, right now on the second spot in the English League, right behind the London Falcons.

The Falcons were a miracle story gone true in itself. Bottom of the League a year and a half ago, they had shot up the ranks to win the cup last year, against all expectation. This had mainly to do with them getting a new coach who had managed to revamp their strategy and also got an exceptional seeker, Harry Potter himself. He was becoming close to a legend in Quidditch as a seeker and the Falcons had not yet lost any game with him in their squad. So the Wasps were second in the league, but proud seconds, having only lost to the Falcons.

A ring from the kitchen told her that her breakfast was ready. She went to pick it up, taking an additional bowl with cereals to complement her eggs and bacon. Setting the whole of it on the dinning table she started to eat, while reading the headlines more in details. Sunday was usually dull in news but one headline did catch her eye on the fourth page.

SURREY DRIVE MURDER – MINISTRY STILL FLOUNDERING

The Ministry is still clueless on the brutal murder of Charles Dawnson and his wife Sophia during the night of the 27th. Their bodies were found by their Muggle landlord who immediately alerted the Muggle authorities. The Ministry reported that they are in tight cooperation with the Muggle police but that so far they had no strong leads. Charles and Sophia Dawnson, both respected wizards, leave behind a daughter, Kathy, nine years old.

That news caused memories to come back in her head. Another killing, another orphan.

*Flashback*

Seventh Year – Hogwarts

"Miss Dewitt?"

The voice caused Alex to turn around from the breakfast table and face her House Head, Professor Flitwick.

"Yes Sir?"

"I need you to come with me to the Headmaster's office," Flitwick said, "He has something to say to you privately."

Alex stood up to follow him, shooting a questioning look to Cynthia who shrugged, showing that she did not know anything but something in the Charms professor's voice told Alex that it was important nonetheless. They went out of the Great Hall and made their way towards the Headmaster's office.

While on the way Alex wondered what news could be so important for Dumbledore to request her presence in his office. At no time did Professor Flitwick say anything on the way, but she could somehow feel that he was uncomfortable. This told her that the news was not a good one. They arrived in front of the gargoyle, which moved away to reveal the steps to the office after the password Flitwick whispered in its ear. A minute after they were entering the office.

Alex had only been there three times in her years at Hogwarts and each time she felt overwhelmed by the calmness and peace of the place. She could see the portraits of the previous Headmasters looking at her and noted that many of them looked sad. Dumbledore was sitting at his desk, reading a parchment. He looked up when they entered and she could see that he looked tired. The events of the past weeks had taken their toll on him.

"Please have a seat Miss Dewitt," Dumbledore said, motioning to the armchairs in front of his desk. His voice sounded tired but reassuring at the same time.

She sat down and looked at him. "You wanted to see me, Sir?" she asked.

"Yes," Dumbledore said, "Have you read the Prophet of today yet?"

"No, Sir," she answer, feeling her worry heightening, "The Owl Post has not been delivered. Too early I guess."

"Good, good," he replied, "I prefer that you learn this from me than from them."

Alex really felt worried now. What news could be so important that Dumbledore feared that it would be reported in the newspaper?

"Sir," she asked, "What is wrong?"

Dumbledore closed his eyes for a moment and let out a sigh. "I wish there was an easier way to say this," he said softly, "But unfortunately, there isn't."

He opened his eyes again and looked at her.

"I deeply regret to have to inform you that your parents have been murdered by Death Eaters yesterday night," he said, sadness echoing in his words.

Alex felt her body go cold as she gasped and brought her hands to her mouth to muffle a moan. She looked at him with horror stricken eyes at the news he had just given her. Her parents? Murdered? Why? How?

"It would seem that Voldemort and his followers are doing everything they can to keep the Ministry and other organizations on their toes in attempts to stop them," Dumbledore said, as if answering her silent question, "In the past weeks Death Eater have heightened their disruptive actions, starting to attack different targets, both Muggle and Wizard alike."

Alex did not say anything and tried to get a grip on her nerves which were threatening to fail her.

"Their latest action was an attack in a residential area of London, the Camden area to be exact," Dumbledore continued, "They attacked several houses there, murdering the occupants and leaving Death Marks above the houses. Your home was in the numbers attacked."

She could feel tears streaming down her cheeks. She felt hollow, confused. She did not know what to think or say. This was so unfair.

"The Ministry has informed me of this just this early morning and I felt it was my duty to inform you," Dumbledore said softly, "I want you to know that myself and the entire Hogwarts staff share your grief and that if there is anything you should need, please come to see me about it."

Alex stood up suddenly. She did not know what to do anymore. She wanted to escape. To leave this room that was now the place that had given her the worst news she could hear. She looked at her Headmaster and could feel his silent sympathy through his eyes. Not being able to bear the atmosphere of the room anymore she rushed out of the office, not stopping as Professor Flitwick called after her.

She did not pay attention where she ran, she just felt the need to get away. Her vision was getting blurred from tears again and she did not see the group of students that were in front of her when she came in the Entrance Hall, going to their first class of the day. Most of them avoided her but one did not move and she ran into him.

"Watch where you are going Mudblood!" she heard him say.

She looked at him and recognized Malfoy who was now glaring at her.

"I'm sorry, Malfoy," she said, trying to go past him, "I had not seen you."

He grabbed her arm before she could get away. "Well that's obvious," he said with a sneer, "And I do not think that your apology was appropriate."

"Please," she pleaded, "Let me go."

"I think not," Malfoy said, "What's the problem Mudblood? Professor Flitwick called you to let you know you had failed all your tests? Is that why you are crying now?" he asked, a sly smile on his face.

Alex looked at him. How could one be so insensitive. She tried to push her way through but he blocked her. She then caught sight of his gloating grin and a sudden realization hit her. His father was a known Death Eater, did he know what had happened already. Was this why he was taunting her again? She felt sudden anger shoot through her as Malfoy once again prevented her from going away.

"I am asking for proper excuses, Mudblood," he said, bringing his face close to her, "And your puny boyfriend is not here to get you out of trouble now, so..."

He did not finish his sentence. Alex had launched her knee in his groin, causing him to double up in pain. She finished with a chop of her right hand on the back of his neck, that sent him to the floor. A move her father had taught her, should she need to get rid of annoying men. Her father that was now dead.

Feeling sorrow overwhelming her again she sprinted out of the Entrance Hall, onto Hogwarts grounds. A small drizzle was falling from the sky, typical weather for the season. She did not care and continued running until she reached a tree that stood on a little hill overlooking the lake. There she let herself fall to the ground, her back to the tree and started to cry freely letting her grief out.

Why? That single question echoed in her mind for a long time. She continued crying. Not caring that she was missing the first lesson of the day. She lost track of time but she at some point she felt grabbed softly by two warm hands and pulled into a comforting embrace. She felt some relief seep into her as she recognized the familiar touch.

He was here for her, as he always had since they had been together. Like at the end of her sixth year, or like before the Ravenclaw vs Slytherin match, where he had protected her against Slytherins that were trying to injure her.

"I'm here, Alex. I'll always be," he said as he gently kissed her head, "Don't hold back the tears, love. It will only make it worse."

She continued crying on his chest and in the same time felt gradually soothed by his words as he stroked her hair gently. She felt some drops on her head and knew that he was grieving as well.

*Back to reality*

Alex broke from her memories suddenly as a thump was heard on her dinning table. She blinked hard to refocus her vision and saw that a beige owl had landed there and was looking expectantly at her, a letter attached to its leg. She gave gave it a piece of bacon and then took the letter which was obviously for her. She opened it and read it contents.

To Miss Alexandra Dewitt

Dear Hogwarts graduate,

It is my great pleasure to announce you that this year for the first time in centuries, at Hogwarts school of Witchcraft and Wizardry will be held the first Reunion of ancient students. This is a way to help the current students to find their way in their future life by taking advantage of your experiences.
I hope to see you at this great event, which will take place at Hogwarts, on Halloween. The Reunion will last two days.
In order to ease the preparation, you would be kind to signal your coming by sending back an owl before the start of this term, September the first. The guests will get to Hogwarts by the Hogwarts Express, on October the 30th.

Yours Sincerely,
Professor Minerva McGonagall
(Deputy Headmaster of Hogwarts school of Witchcraft and Wizardry, Order of Merlin first Class)

She reread the letter a few times, letting the words sink in her and wondering if she should attend. Hogwarts was a place where she had many good memories, but also a few painful ones. The owl gave her a questioning hoot, apparently waiting to see if she would give her and answer.

"I will answer this a bit later today," she said, giving it another piece of bacon, "Thank you for waiting though."

The owl finished to eat the bacon and then departed by the open window, flying into the morning London air. She looked at it disappear before going back to her breakfast. Her eggs were less than warm now, due to her reverie. She finished them fast ad then charmed her plate, cup and cutleries to the washing machine. Even though she lived in the wizard world, she had not been able to get rid of some of the habit s she had picked up from being raised in the Muggle world.

Thus her apartment was Muggle in style and had electricity and other Muggle things in it, but she tried to use magic as much as she could. Not that she was feeling on doing any washing today.

She stayed a bit at the table, wondering a bit what to do of her day. She had no practice as it was Sunday and the weather outside was not that bad. She definitely needed to go out and do something to take her mind off the memories the article had re-awakened. But going out alone was sometimes so boring.

Maybe Cynthia would agree to join her. Her best friend was now married since three years with her boyfriend from Hogwarts, Sean O'Maley. Alex was amazed to see how well they had gotten along but at the same time she was delighted for both of them. Especially since they were expecting their first child sometime in January.

Cynthia Swanson, now O'Maley, had been quite a "hottie", to quote some of the Ravenclaw boys from her year, and she had had her share of hook ups and breaks during her third, fourth and fifth year at Hogwarts. However, none of them had been long term relationships. Alex had even teased Cynthia that Sean would find himself replaced before the end of the year.

Cynthia had proved her wrong and their relationship had endured until their engagement and marriage. She had to admit that Sean was a very nice person, alway cheerful and with a good sense of humour, but also extremely caring. He was now working in the Auror's department of the Ministry, under Kingsley Shackelbolt.

On her side, Cynthia was working in the Hogsmeade branch of Gringotts as a curse breaker and was in charge of making sure that all the security charms were in good working order. That she had managed to be on such a post at her young age was quite an achievement, most probably due to her high marks in charms and Defense Against the Dark Arts classes. Alex had told her that she would soon be head of the London department if she continued that way.

She stood up and headed back to her room. The time was advancing towards ten o'clock and she had to get herself ready if she actually wanted to go out with Cynthia. She was decided to see her friend and the visit would be a good occasion to see if Sean and her planned to be at the reunion as well.

"I wonder who else will come there?" she asked herself as she entered her room. Half an hour later she was dressed and ready to go out. After giving a parting caress to Syal, who had jumped on the small table by the entrance door, she went out of her apartment.

ClosetHPF

ClosetHPF

.:Quidditch Captain:.

• PipPipPip
  • 2,375 posts
  • I am a:Squib
  • House:Slytherin
Ooo....A school reunion. That should be interesting. Why did Alex feel the need to visit her friend? She'll probably be invited as well and be able to meet her at Hogwarts. And who is this mysterious boy who had been protecting her? This chapter raises many questions. Well done, Slyv! Another great chapter. :D
The Rock of Ages General <span style='color:yellow'>Last Update: 28 May 2007</span>

harrysbabe

harrysbabe

• PipPipPip
  • 4,589 posts
Hey Sylvain!!....brilliant first chapter :D .I felt really sorry for Alex when Dumbledore told her of her parents death....it was very sad!! :( .Great writing and Harry is a seeker still....soo pleased he is still alive lol!!

Hope you update soon as i have a feeling that this is going to be another fantastic fic!!
xHarrysbabex :D
Posted Image

gmhpfan

gmhpfan

master of bamboozlement

• PipPipPip
  • 1,660 posts
ok so i'm guessing that the mysterious boy who hugs Alex comforting her has a first name begining with Y and a surname begining with S.
(loved the way alex 'downed' Draco by the way)

but why is she liveing alone with her CAT???????:D!:(!

Well I'm sure we will find out at the reunion

*GOODLUCK to ERWIN We Know you can do it :D!!!*

Another Great Chapter Sylvain Keep it Up.

g
Posted Image
my fics, Harry's Gift, Legacy, Buffallo wings, The Tour, Panto and Remember Pheionix Day

Wolf

Wolf

• PipPipPip
  • 2,302 posts
Okay, time for the update now.

Gail: Thanks for your reply and glad you like this first chapter. I know it must seem wierd to see Alex all alone but I can assure you that explanations are coming... soon. :)

Harrysbabe: Yup.. she had a rough time during her last year but she is not doing too bad now. And of course Harry is stil alive! I was not about to off him just because Voldy does not like the kid. :P :P

Closet: Glad you liked this chapter. You will soon see familiar faces apearing in the next chapters.

Okay, last but not least, thanks a lot to Erwan and Lils for betaing this chapter. Your corrections were relevant and very helpful.

Chapter two: Graver l' écorce
----------------------------------------

Paris – Late October

Graver l' écorce
Cutting the bark
Jusqu'a saigner
Until bleeding
Clouer les portes
Nail down the doors
S'emprisonner
Imprison oneself

The young man stood in front of the vending booths in Gare du Nord, patiently waiting for one of them to free up so he could buy his ticket. While he waited he was looking around and was listening to the music that came out of the speakers of the portable radio the man behind him was listening to. It was a song by a known French singer, Jean Jacques Goldman and had a slow mourning tone to it.

Vivre des songes
Live dreams
A trop veiller
By over watching
Prier des ombres
Praying shadows
Et tant marcher
And walking so much

J'ai beau me dire
I tell myself
Qu'il faut du temps
That it takes time
J'ai beau l'écrire
I write it down
Si noir sur blanc
So black and white
Quoique je fasse
Whatever I do
Ou que je sois
Wherever I am
Rien ne t'efface
Nothing erases you
Je pense a toi
I think of you

"Funny how the song fits to me right now," he thought.

He was not able to forget that person. Her face wandered back into his head over and over right now and he started to remind himself of the good time they had shared before he had to leave suddenly, almost five years ago now. He felt someone tapping him on the shoulder, bringing him back to reality. He turned to see the man behind him showing him that a booth had freed up and that it was his turn. Thanking the man he went towards it. The lady behind the thick glass looked tired but still tried to smile when he arrived there.

"How can I help you, Sir?" she asked.

"Uh, I would like to buy a ticket to London with the next Eurostar that leaves today," he said.

"Very well," she said, starting to type on her computer, "Will that be 1st or 2nd class?"

"2nd Class please."

"Smoking?"

"Non-smoking," he replied, "And a window seat if that is possible."

The lady, Armelle he could read from the tag on her chest, finished typing the details and the ticket was promptly issued. He paid the required amount and before he left, asked where the platform was located. She indicated to him the right one and, after having thanked her, he slung his bag over his shoulder and started in the direction she had shown him.

"The good thing about the Eurostar is that they do not change platform like the other trains," she had told him.

Not that he would know anything about that. He had never taken that train to go to England before and usually he preferred faster means of travelling. But the suddenness and seriousness of the reason for his travel to England had made it that the train was the only way for him to get there today.

Passent les jours
The days pass
Vides sillons
Empty grooves
Dans la raison
In reason
Et sans amour
And without love

He walked on the platform after having passed the security at the entrance. The yellow and white train was definitely unmistakable and its smooth surface on the outside showed that it was built for speed. He looked at his ticket again to remember which carriage number he had, and saw that it was located at the front of the train.

"Just my luck," he thought, "Getting the carriage that is the furthest away."

Passe ma chance
My luck passes
Tournent les vents
The winds turn
Reste l'absence
Absence is left
Obstinément
Stubbornly

He reached the carriage and went in to find his reserved seat. He settled near the window and t took out some papers out of his bag, documents he had received from England a few days ago. The news they carried were worrisome; this was the reason for his sudden travel. Five years ago he had left England and now he was going back.

"Excuse me, young man," a voice said on his left, "Is this your bag?"

He turned to see a man in his early fifties pointing to his bag that he had left on the seat next to him.

"Oh yes," he said, taking the bag, "I am sorry about that. I forgot to take it away," he added, stowing it under the seat in front of him.

"No harm done," the man said, taking off his light overcoat before seating and taking out a newspaper, "So you're going to London?"

The young man studied his neighbor. He was dressed in a casual business suit and his plump face looked friendly. The English newspaper and the briefcase told him that he was a businessman, most probably traveling back to the English capital after a meeting in Paris.

"That's where this train was headed the last time I checked," he answered.

"A young lad with a sense of humour," the man said, smiling broadly, "This journey should be less boring than usual. Some of the people I travel with can be such bores sometimes. You don't mind if we talk, I hope?"

"It should make the journey interesting," he answered, stowing his papers back in his bag.

"Jolly good!" the man said enthusiastically, "You have family in England?"

"Not much," the young man answered, "Most of my family lives here in France."

"Oh, so you are a Frenchman?"

"Yes."

"You don't have much of an accent," the man said, "You could have fooled me for an American."

"I was schooled in United Kingdom for a few years," the young man explained, "A boarding school in Scotland."

"That explains a lot then," the man said, "Good thing you did not inherit the Scottish accent as well, eh?" he added, smiling.

"Yeah, it is a bit harder to understand than English."

They continued talking for a while and he discovered a bit more who his neighbor was. Apparently a businessman from Manchester, who was on his way back from a quick trip to Paris for some business. The man, who was presented himself as Mr Hamilton, was very friendly and was a pleasure to talk to. The talk went on until the journey was well underway. At one point Hamilton excused himself and went to get something to eat in the buffet carriage. The young man took out some papers from his bag and started reading them.

J'ai beau me dire
I tell myself
Que c'est comme ça
That it is like this
Que sans vieillir
That by not getting old
On n'oublie pas
One does not forget

He put the documents back in his bag after having gone through them. Not the best situation. No wonder he was needed back. He rested his head on his seat, looking at the passing scenery out of the window. After a while he pulled out a small pouch from his bag and took out some photographs.

He went through them, looking at the people in it going through memories. One of them caught his attention, the one he could not forget, no matter how much he tried. Her smile was still dazzling, her eyes playful, just like her remembered her.

"A fine looking young lady," he heard a voice say next to him.

He gave a start a looked. Mr Hamilton had come back and was looking at him, smiling.

"I am sorry," he said, "I did not mean to startle you," he added while sitting down again.

"It's all right sir," the young man said, "I was lost in my thoughts."

"Is it safe to believe that this young lady might be one of the reasons for you going back to England?"

The young man smiled sheepishly. "Yes," he said, "She is."

"She looks quite younger than you though," Mr Hamilton said.

"The photo is a few years old," the young man explained, "We are of the same age," he added, handing him a photo where both he and her could be seen with their friends.

"I see. Looks like you two were an item," Hamilton said, handing the photo back, "Still are?"

"I doubt it," the young man said, "I have not seen her in ages."

Mr Hamilton chuckled. "Never give up hope," he said, patting on the young man's arm.

Quoique je fasse
Whatever I do
Ou que je sois
Wherever I am
Rien ne t'efface
Nothing erases you
Je pense a toi
I think of you
Et quoi que j'apprenne
And despite what I learn
Je ne sais pas
I do not know
Pourquoi je saigne
Why do I bleed
Et pas toi
And not you

The train arrived in Waterloo station a bit more than two hours afterwards. After having bid Mr Hamilton goodbye, the young man came out on the platform and stood there for a bit, wondering what to do first. He had first planned to go to his parent's home but seeing the time, there was a good chance that they were both at work. It would be a better idea to go to see his father at work. He would then also be able to meet a few friends. With a bit of chance, she would be there too.

He left from the station after having changed some Euros to Pounds and started to walk in direction of Leicester Square. His destination was not too far from there and he did not see the point of taking the bus or the tube to get there.

Y'a pas de haine
There is no hatred
Y'a pas de roi
There is no king
Ni dieu ni chaîne
No god, no chain
Qu'on ne combat
That we don't fight

He arrived there and looked around to remind himself of where exactly what he was looking for stood. After a minute of looking around he spotted it, a vandalized telephone booth. Since the first time he had seen this place, six years ago, it was still the same and had not changed at all.

"A wonder that no one thought of replacing it yet," he thought as he approached the booth.

He entered and picked up the receiver. After a quick look around to see that no one was observing him, he dialed an exact serie of numbers, 62442.

Mais que faut-il
But what is needed
Quelle puissance
What power
Quelle arme brise
What weapon shatters
L'indifférence
Indifference

"Welcome to the Ministry of Magic," a cool female voice said, "Please state your name and business."

He had a slight hesitation before to answer in the receiver. His voice was covered by the sound of a truck passing near. He hung up the receiver and waited until a small badge fell into a little box under the phone. He picked it up and pinned it on the front of his shirt. No sooner had he done that that the cabin started to sink into the ground.

"Well," he thought, "Here goes nothing..."

Oh c'est pas juste
It is not fair
C'est mal écrit
It's ill-written
Comme une injure
More like a insult
plus qu'un mépris
Than a scorn
Quoique je fasse
Whatever I do
Ou que je sois
Wherever I am
Rien ne t'efface
Nothing erases you
Je pense a toi
I think of you
Et quoi que j'apprenne
And despite what I learn
Je ne sais pas
I do not know
Pourquoi je saigne
Why do I bleed
Et pas toi...
And not you...

Et pas toi...
[i]And not you...

Jean Jacques Goldman - Pas Toi (click to hear me)

[i]Song and lyrics by Jean Jaques Goldman and are his sole property. The clip that I am putting online is not intended for resale and is of bad quality. If you want to hear the good version, I suggest buying the CD.

gmhpfan

gmhpfan

master of bamboozlement

• PipPipPip
  • 1,660 posts
*sigh*

*sigh*

*sigh*

lovely song
lovely chapter,
Makes the heart go gooie, oh i hope Yannick finds her

*SIGH*

ok thats my mushy moment for this month,

hehehehe

g
Posted Image

Wolf

Wolf

• PipPipPip
  • 2,302 posts
All right... time to update.

Not many answers to my last chapter... where did my readers leave to? :(

Gail: Thanks for replying. You know that this song is one of the main reason I decided to write this sequel? I love it and feel it just completely fits. As for Yannick finding her... well... read on... !!!

Thanks to Erwan and Lils for the Betaing. :D

Here we go then.

Chapter three: Back in England
-------------------------------------------

The young man came out of the booth and into the Atrium of the Ministry of Magic. He stood for a moment, looking around and remembering where to go from where he was. He went to the the guard and produced his wand from a sheath that now came into view on his left arm. The guard took it and looked at it for a moment, before to put it through the tube containing the scanning spell.

"Yannick Silverleaf," the tube said as it expelled the wand, "Hogwarts graduate and currently unemployed. Last seen in England 5 years ago."

"You can go through Mr Silverleaf," the guard said, "And welcome back in England," he added, handing him back his wand.

"Thank you," Yannick replied, strapping the wand to its sheath again.

He went thought the atrium and past the fountain to reach the elevator that would bring him to where he needed to go, the Aurors department on level two. He exited the elevator there and kindly asked a Clerk who was passing by where the office of Dominic Silverleaf was located. His father had told him in a letter that it had changed since he had last passed by. The Clerk indicated him the direction and Yannick moved on. As he walked in direction of the office he had been indicated, he heard a voice shouting nearby.

"I am telling you that this person did not die of a simple gas intoxication!" it said, "I am Muggle enough to know that one!."

"But it all indicates that..." another voice countered.

"He had an electric stove you nitwit! Since when does that require gas to work?"

"Well..."

"Look, either you do your job correctly and stop using the all-made procedures of your department, or you stay out of my case," the first voice said, "Now get out of my office and come back when you have something sensible."

"But..."

"OUT!:D"

Yannick saw a plump man scurrying out of a nearby office, the fear quite apparent on his face.

"And take this piece of trash you call a report with you!!" the person in the office said.

A roll of parchment came flying out of the office and caught up with the man who was walking as fast as he could down the corridor. The roll seemed charmed in a way as it did its best to hit the man on the head several times.

Yannick smiled, he knew that voice very well. He walked up silently to the entrance of the office, whose door was still open after the outburst. He peered cautiously on the edge and smiled even more as he recognized Sean, sitting at a desk and scribbling furiously on a parchment amongst a mountain of other papers and parchments. His friend had changed, although he still retained his blond hair, Yannick could see that he had grown taller and his stature had gotten more muscular, probably due to his Auror training. He knocked on the open door.

"Is the Irish lion's den safe to enter?" he asked, "Or do I risk getting my head blown off as well?"

Sean looked up from his report and turned his head, his blue eyes wide.

"Alright," he said out loud, "Somebody tell me I am dreaming and I am going to wake up. I cannot be seeing the person standing at my entrance."

"Well I doubt that you are dreaming," Yannick said, coming to him, "Else it would mean that you were also dreaming when you blasted this poor fellow to pieces. But I can pinch you if you want," he added, trying to pinch Sean's arm.

Sean laughed and stood up, grabbing his arm and pulling him into a welcoming embrace.

"Man! It is so good to see you again, mate!" he said, "How are you doing?" he asked, slapping him on the back.

"I'm doing fine, Sean," Yannick replied, giving back the friendly hug, "It is great to see you too."

"When did you arrive in England?" Sean asked.

"Just this afternoon," Yannick answered, "Came in by train."

"I could hardly believe my ears when your father told me that you were coming," Sean said, "You've been gone for so long. Cynthia will be very happy to see you."

"Yeah," Yannick said, "I'm sorry I could not make it to your wedding. How are you two doing?"

"Doing better with each day that passes," Sean replied proudly, "But I am sure you don't know the best part of it."

"What is it?"

"Our couple is about to expand."

"No!?"

"If everything goes fine," Sean said with a wide grin, "I should be a father by next January."

"Oh man!" Yannick said, grabbing his friend by the shoulders, "This is great news, mate! I am really happy for you two."

"Thanks."

"You pass my congratulations to Cynthia as well."

"Why don't you do it yourself when you see her?"

"What do you mean?"

"Did you think you could come back to England and not spend the evening with us?" Sean asked him, "I'm dying to find out what you did all these years."

"Well..."

"Come on mate," Sean said, "Don't try to evade it."

"It's not really that, Sean," Yannick answered, "I think she will be ready to chop my head off if she sees me."

"Because of Alex?" Sean asked.

Yannick sighed and nodded, sitting down on a chair near Sean's desk.

"Come on, Nick," Sean said, "It actually is not as bad as you think. At least on Cynthia's side."

"Really?" Yannick asked, "As Alex's best friend I would have thought that she was ready to kill me."

"Ah, but she is also married to your best friend, mate," Sean said, "I cooled her off as soon as I got to know you were coming."

"Thanks for that."

"But you will still need to tell us exactly what you have been up to for the past five years, Nick," Sean said, "From the little bits I got from your father it must have been fascinating."

"It most definitely was. I wish I would have been able to write to you guys to let you know," Yannick said, "But this Fidellius charm prevented it."

"Had to be secret, huh?"

"Yes, Andrelith was... actually is still on the loose," Yannick said gloomily, "And the last encounter I had with him six years ago did not put me on his friend list."

"I can understand that, mate," Sean said, "And I am sure Cynthia will as well."

"Thanks, Sean."

"You are welcome," Sean said, "Now, your dad told me you were coming to help me on this case."

"That I am," Yannick said, "We had several instances of murders in France. My father thinks that the ones in England are related somehow."

"So you work with the French Ministry of Magic now?"

"No," but two of the murders occurred near the Broceliante forest," Yannick said, "That is when Gran asked for me to come back. I arrived in Silverleaf Manor a week ago. I took the time to get up to date with different matters and travel to Paris before to arrive here."

"Why the train, by the way?" Sean asked, "Would floo or portkey not have been safer ways to travel."

"Yeah," Yannick answered, "But they also could have been monitored by whoever is behind these attacks."

"Always the cautious one, heh?"

"Better cautious than dead."

"Good point," Sean said, "You have any leads?"

"Apart from the fact that all victims were French?" Yannick asked, "None really. You?"

"Same," Sean said, "Apparently it is totally random."

"Hard to believe though."

"Yeah," Sean said, "Three murders so far. One in the Sussex area four months ago, another one in London, Surrey Drive to be exact, two months after. The last one was just a few days ago, center of London."

"The 'died by gaz intoxication' one?"

"You heard that?"

"Absolutely," Yannick said laughing, "Never saw someone run away that fast before."

"Quite an idiot I can assure you," Sean said.

"I could hear that," Yannick said, "So the last victim was Muggle?"

"Yeah," Sean replied, "That's where I am thrown off. He was killed by a type of choking spell, but there is something fishy."

"What?"

"He's a Muggle. All the other victims were Wizards."

"Not connected to the magical world?"

"Nada," Sean replied, "We basically got alerted about it because of the spell being used in a total Muggle part of London."

"Weird," Yannick said, "The four French victims were Wizards or connected to the wizardry world in a way."

"I hate cases that go that way," Sean said, leaning back in his chair.

"The French Ministry is not faring better either, mate"

"Well, good to know that we are not the only ones floundering then,"Sean said, "Although I am sure that together we will resolve this riddle."

"Thanks for the vote of confidence, mate."

"I think that Sean has a good point here, Yannick," a voice said behind them.

Yannick turned around to face a widely grinning Dominic Silverleaf.

"Dad!" he exclaimed, standing up and hugging him.

"Well," Dominic said, giving back the embrace, "Glad to see that my son did not forget me after all."

"What do you mean, Sir?" Sean asked puzzled.

"Well immagine my surprise when I see my own son passing in front of the office I was in, not even seeing me," Dominic started.

"But..." Yannick said looking at him puzzled as well, "Your office is more down the hall. How could you have seen me from there?"

"I have a spying charm in the elevators that permits me to see anyone that goes in and out," Dominic said very seriously.

"You do?" Yannick asked.

"Of course not! I'm just teasing you, son," Dominic said, laughing, "I was in Kingsley's office when you passed in front. He wanted my advice on something."

"Oh,"

"By the way, Sean," Dominic asked, "Who were you shouting at just before?"

"Some idiot from Earnshaw's department," Sean replied, "He was trying to prove to me that my theory was wrong and gave me one of their all-made-up-for-immediate-use theory instead. I sent him packing."

"That I heard," Dominic said, grinning.

"The roll of parchment that attempted to hit him on the head was a nice touch," Yannick added , grinning.

"Cynthia taught me that one," Sean said, "She uses it to get rid of annoying Goblins at her work. She's working in Gringott's Hogsmeade branch, taking care of the good working of the security there," he added for Yannick.

"Impressive," Yannick said.

"Alright son," Dominic said, "I am on my way home. Are you coming with me? I am sure your mother wants to see you after all this time."

"Sure dad," he answered, "But I will spend the evening at Sean's," he said, winking at his friend.

"I think you are old enough to decide where you spend your day, Nick," his father countered, smiling, "And as I said before, there is no problems at all."

"Alright then," Yannick replied, "What time do you want me to be there, Sean?"

"Make it by eight and you should be safe," Sean replied, "And here is the address to aparate to," he added, handing him a piece of paper.

"Cool," Yannick said, "I'll see you both then. Should I bring anything?"

"Just bring yourself, Nick," Sean answered, smiling at his friend.

Yannick smiled back and exchanged a hug with him. He turned to leave but turned around again just as he was passing the door.

"By the way Sean," he said with a smile, "You should put more space between your two plants. They are fighting for the light as they are."

Sean turned around to look at the two plants that were inseparate pots, nearby the 'window' of his office. "I'll do that," he said, turning back to his friend.

"Good," Yannick replied, "And change the earth on the one on the left. Three months is much too long. The plant on the right needs water every two days, not three, like you have done until now."

"How the hex did you manage to figure that out?" Sean replied, his eyes going wide, "You did not even go near to them."

"I'll explain you tonight," Yannick replied, winking at his friend before to go out.

She was tired, sad, angry, frustrated, feeling hopeless, afraid. Alex did not know what to make out of her feelings as she entered her apartment in the late afternoon. This had by far had been one of the worst days of the year for her. And like every other years for the past five years, it was right on the anniversary of her parent's murder.

She had started her day by going to the cemetery where they were buried, to visit their grave and pay a silent homage to the two persons who had given her so much love and support, only to be murdered by a heartless Death Eater who cared more about blood purity than the love of a family.

There she had again remembered the day of the burial. She had gotten special leave from Dumbledore to take care of it and Yannick had insisted by the headmaster to accompany her. He had been with her all of the time, doing his best to comfort her during this rainy week of Autumn. In a way this had saved her from a nervous breakdown, his love and her friends. Her parents were all the family she had left, apart from an estranged Aunt who despised anyone not acting normal and who had distanced herself from them when Alex's magic gift had awakened. Her parents had been taken from her in an instant, for the only crime of being Muggles.

"You helped me with my loss of Gwen. I'm here for you to go through this," Yannick had told her when she had asked him why he had insisted to accompany her.

That sentence, that promise kept on coming back in her head now. Yannick had supported her all the way until their graduation. He had then helped her to settle in this flat, after they had taken care of the remains of her old home. He had then been called to France and had had to leave urgently, promising to keep in touch and that he would be back very soon.

He never reappeared and she never heard back from him. The only news she had gotten was from the answer Gran had sent on the letter she had sent to ask for news. Yannick was on a special assignment and would contact her as soon as he was done. That had never happened and had left her alone, feeling betrayed by the young man she had learned to love with all her heart. Why had he done this? Why had he never written back? How could he be so heartless, him that used to be so caring?

Luckily her friends had been there to support her. Cynthia, Sean, the teammates from the Ravenclaw squad that had graduated the same year as her, they had all been there and helped her to move on.

She let herself fall on the couch in her living room, sighing in despair. She had no idea why she now thought again of these events, and especially of him, now that she had tried to forget him the best she could.

Her mood had reflected in her Quidditch practice today and she had played dreadfully. Missing bulgers, sending them on the wrong target, she had even knocked a fellow teammate off her broom by mistake, the Wasps' seeker. There had been no damage as she was low to the ground and on the tail of the snitch but the captain, Bob Walkovitch, had been infuriated with her. He had cornered her and started to give her a piece of his mind on her sloppy play of the practice, telling her that she was right now a liability to the team and ought to shape up if she did not want to spend the rest of the season on the bench.

Angelina Johnson had come to her rescue when she had seen that she was close to breaking down in tears. She had gently told Bob off, reminding him of the date meant for Alex. She had then sat down with her on a bench and Alex had found herself pouring her heart out to her older teammate. At one point Bob had come back and apologized for his outburst. He had told her that she could head home if she wanted, he understood she was not in her best day today, but Alex had said she wanted to train. It had taken the gentle push from Angelina to decide her to call it a day and actually head home.

Syal jumped on her lap, meowing and pulling her away from her thoughts.

"What is it girl?" she asked, "You hungry?"

Syal meowed and rubbed her head on her chest, purring. Alex chuckled a bit and started to scratch her under the jaw, causing her to purr even louder. Alex switched position in the couch, resting her head on the arm rest. Syal was apparently only waiting for this to happen because no sooner Alex had done this, she was comfortably nestled in a ball on her chest, purring as Alex petted her absent mindedly.

As she readjusted a bit her position, she felt something under her back. She reached and pulled the day's copy of the Daily Prophet. She remembered that she had not even looked at it this morning, as her mind was fully on other things. She glanced through the sports pages and read the interview Harry Potter had given right after the Falcons' win against the Glasgow Highlanders. A picture could be seen, showing Harry's superb catch of the snitch. The Falcons were going for their second year of winning the cup. Quite an achievement. The article went on describing how Harry would be playing for the England squad in the Quidditch World Cup. With him, Angelina and Oliver Woods in the squad, England was becoming a favourite for the win. A last note of interest was the fact that Harry confirmed that he would attend the Hogwarts reunion of tomorrow.

"It will be nice to see everyone again," she thought while going over the facts and rumors section of the paper. Here eyes grew wide as she read the main one.

A WOLF IN DIAGON ALLEY?

She sat up suddenly, causing Syal to jump away, hissing a bit at her sudden move. Not paying attention to her cat she read on.

Reports have come in from several people yesterday that a wolf would have been spotted going around Diagon Alley. The animal evaded several attempts to capture it and disappeared in a dark street of Knotburn Alley.

"I can't believe it!" Jeremy Wiatts, an Auror who was on his way to work when he spotted the animal, said, "My colleagues and I tried to cut it's escape routes off but it was much faster that we would have expected. It was like it was reading our moves."

"I hit it twice with a stunning spell" another Auror said, "But it just shrugged them off."

The white wolf disappeared soon after. An inquiry to the ministry of magic revealed that it was the first time the sighting of a white wolf was recorded in centuries. The descriptions of the animal do not match any recorded Animagus. Could it be an unregistered Animagus?

A wolf in London? And in Diagon Alley to add to it? She only knew one person who had a relation to a wolf and that was Yannick. But wait. Altair was a pitch black wolf, not white. What was going on? She let the newspaper fall on her lap and looked aimlessly to the ceiling, many questions spinning in her head.

dirim

dirim

.:Towel Boy/Girl:.

• Pip
  • 11 posts
write more
more moree!!
plz
Posted ImagePosted Image

harrysbabe

harrysbabe

• PipPipPip
  • 4,589 posts
At last i got here and read both your chapters Sylvain!!.I'm sorry but i don't get online as often as i used to.I miss everyone here loads.Anyway enough about me.What a great couple of chapters.I knew in chapter two that it was Yannick as soon as he got to buy his ticket and i loved that song...words are lovely :crying: .

It was really nice to see Yannick meet up with Sean again.Those two were always great friends.Poor Alex on her own with just her cat for company :crying: .Hope Yannick gets around to her house quick!!!...*gives Yannick a shove!*.

Great reading as always an sorry it took me so long to reply!!
Ppms!!!
xHarrysbabex :P
Posted Image

Entropist

Entropist

King Of Terrors Forever

• PipPip
  • 562 posts
  • Location:the pit of Furious Fire and Ancient Magic, namely my home in France
Apparently, your readers were on vacation... lol
Well, i, for my part, am back for a moment, so I might as well comment on this excellent fic, which I know both from reading and from the insider point of view of the guy who reviews the chapters before posting (I'm probably missing a lot of stuff in the process, lol)
So, what can I say about this fic. I can't be objective really. I love the characters too much to be objective. Besides, I'm involved in this, since it happens during MY fiction, lol.
But still, I like the way you deal with the reunion after so many years. very well handled, lol.
I would never have believed that I would be touched by the words of Goldman!!! me! but still I was, lol..
Keep that up, I'm looking forward to see more of this.

ERWAN

Second Coming of the King of Terrors!
Back from the Dead!

The inquisitorial vengeance had been hurried by my two-fold escape, and there was to be no more dallying with the King of Terrors
Edgar Allan Poe (The Pit and the Pendulum)

My fiction reborn:
Harry Potter and the Seal of Chaos REDUX

gmhpfan

gmhpfan

master of bamboozlement

• PipPipPip
  • 1,660 posts
another awsome chapter sylvain,

sorry i havent replied sooner , but , i thought i had ,

i'm intreagued by the white wolf, what is that about, is it the 'evil' elf again

interesting

g
Posted Image

Wolf

Wolf

• PipPipPip
  • 2,302 posts
Alrighty then... Time for another update.

I am aware that HBP has now made Erwan's timeline wrong in many ways but I am keeping on writing this fic. As you can see from the disclamer I put in the first post, this fic takes place in an Alternat Universe, where the events of HBP never occured. I hope you will enjoy reading it still.

Dirim: I am glad you like this story. did you read Discovery as well? If not, you should, as this chapter is bound to throw you off completely.

Harrysbabe: Glad you caught up. I was starting to wonder where you had disapeared to. :P Mystery creeping in and well, this next chapter will be quite bouncy, to say the least.

Erwan: Thanks for your reply. I know you like this story already and you are a great help on giving me ideas and beta-ing my writing. Thx again mate.

gmhpfan: Hehehe... I am getting you guessing huh? :P Well... you will have to read on to find out why. The white wolf? Explainations to come in a few chappies... :P

Just as a last mention, I strongly suggest to read Erwan's (Entropist) Seal of Chaos if you have not done so. This fic takes place at the same time and so some events referred to in here can be found in Erwan's fic.

Chapter four: Journey to Hogwarts
-----------------------------------------------

Yannick was standing in front of the Howarts Express. The bright red train was as striking as ever and brought him so many good memories of the few trips he had in it during his two years at Hogwarts. It was still early, just past eight o'clock, and not many persons were on the platform yet. He preferred it that way. Sean would join him with Cynthia at Hogwarts, directly from Hogsmeade as Cynthia worked there. By coming early he was sure to have a good seat and would be able to avoid the flood of old students coming for the reunion.

He walked towards the start of the train, letting his left hand slide on the red carriages, memories flooding him.

"Alex!" someone said behind him, causing him to freeze in his tracks, "Alexander Lockenburn! I can't believe you're here!"

He let out a sigh of relief as a witch passed him, running towards a wizard that was standing a few meters away. He had seen his face somewhere before but he could not place it.

"Well at least some are having joyful reunions," he thought as he moved on, leaving the two friends hugging each other.

His own reunion with Sean and his wife had gone better than he had expected. His friend had done a good job in cooling down Cynthia before he had arrived and she had been grateful for his explanations regarding his disappearance for the last five years. Not that he had wanted to disappear and not give news. These five years cut from the world, including family and friends, had been hard but on the other hand, his magic had matured and he had received training that no one else could have given him, Elven training.

He had found out that Gran was still very much respected in the Elven realms and although he had had to prove his worth before they had agreed to train him in Elven arts and magic. The difference between the Elven culture and the Human one had been a bit of a shock to him but he had managed to adapt and learn. His grasp on Elven had improved markedly, up to a point where he had caught himself thinking in Elven instead of French, or even English. Gran had been very pleased to talk with him in her mother tongue when he had come back, even if the reason for their meeting were not that joyful.

There had been several attacks near the Broceliante forest and Gran was starting to believe that it was in a way related to the recent murders in England. She had told him of her suspicions and while he believed that she had guessed right, he was hoping that in a way she was wrong.

He climbed in the the next carriage and went in to look for an empty compartment. Given the early hour, the train was only going at eleven, he did not expect any trouble to find one. He found one located at the beginning of the train carriage and dropped his bag on one of the seats. He reached to unclasp the brooch that held his cloak but the sound of the door of his compartment opening forcefully caused him to stop.

"Yannick Silverleaf," a voice he recognized said behind him.

He turned to face the one person he had dreaded to see since his return to England. Her arms crossed on her chest, fiery red hair still hanging loose in her distinct style, Alex was looking at him with cold blue eyes from the entrance.

"Alex, I..." he started.

She did not give him the time to continue and suddenly went up to him. Her movement caught him by surprise but then, so did the resounding slap that she administered him when she was close enough to reach him. Holding his stinging cheek, he looked at her. He had never seen her that angry.

"I guess I earned that one," he said.

"You bloody bet you earned it!" she said, fuming.

"Look, Alex," he said, defensively, "I know you are angry..."

"Angry? Angry?" she exclaimed, "I'm not angry, Yannick Silverleaf. I'm FURIOUS!! How could you do this to me?!?"

Yannick was taken aback by her harsh question.

"How could I do what?" he asked, "I..."

He could not continue as Alex had slapped him hard a second time.

"How could I do what?" she mimicked mockingly, "You are telling me that you don't even realize what you've done?" she asked fiercely.

He did not answer.

"You left me!" she snapped, "You had said you would be in touch but I have had no sign of life from you for over five years, Yannick! FIVE BLOODY YEARS!!!" she said, continuing her diatribe, "Were you so darn busy you could not even send an owl?!?"

"No, but..."

"Of course not!" she cut him, "You figured I would sit around, patiently waiting for you to manifest yourself. And now you come back, five years after and hope that I will be and your disposal, is that it? Well news for you Silverleaf, I am not that type of girl."

Yannick looked at her feeling hurt by her last comment. How could she accuse him of this? He never had intended to hurt her.

"I was here when you needed me, at the start of your sixth year," she continued, "I helped you cope with your grief for your loss of Gwendall and where were you when I needed your help? When I settled back after Hogwarts in a life where my parents were gone? I had no more family!! The only ones I could rely on were my friends! And where were you??"

He did not say anything, his gaze to the floor as her words cut through him like knives..

"Nowhere!!" she answered for him, "You were down in France, probably enjoying the good life with your family. Oh, no! Wait, let me quote Gran on that one; you were out on a special assignment and would contact me as soon as you were done. Some assignment! What was it? Saving Silverleaf Manor from impending doom? Tell me Yannick, maybe I'll understand."

"It's a bit more complicated than that," he started.

"Oh, of course! It always is so with your family," she cut sarcastically, "I was struggling to get on in life, feeling betrayed and meanwhile, where were you? Probably fooling around with some beautiful Elven maiden. Your family has a nice record for falling for those."

"Alex," he tried to say.

"I don't want to hear it, Yannick," she cut harshly, "I am not interested to know and I do not care anymore for your reasons. Just know one thing, I managed to live on and I am now doing what I like to do. But I achieved this with my friend's help and at no time have I needed yours."

The harshness with which she said that left him speechless.

"Have a nice return to Hogwarts," she said, "I don't think I will be seeing you around," she added, going out of the compartment and closing the door, leaving him standing there.

He had a moment of hesitation, being still startled by the harshness of her words. He then rushed in the corridor in an attempt to catch her and explain, but she had already disappeared and he was sure that he would not find her until the train arrived in Hogwarts. He went back to his compartment and closed the door forcefully.

This was even worse than he had thought. She was not just angry with him. She hated him. But he had never intended to hurt her. He was aware that he should have let her know and that was his mistake, but there had been literally no time to do so. Once he had been in the Elven kingdom, he had been cut from the world. He did not just loose touch with her. He lost touch with everyone, even his family. The only person that had been able to keep contact with him had been Gran, because she was a respected Elf.

He sighed and let himself fall in his seat next to the window. How the hex was he supposed to explain it to her now? She had not given him a chance and right now, he doubted that she would be willing to listen to him for a while.

"You're lucky to be alive, Silverleaf," he thought sarcastically, "She probably hates your guts now."

He looked at the compartment door, trying to think of a good spell to keep it shut. Company was the last thing he wanted right now.

He got out of the train when it arrived in Hogsmeade and followed the flow of graduates to the carriages. He was again a little surprised to see the Thestrals that were pulling them. The first time he had seen these winged horses was at the end of his seventh and final year at Hogwarts. The Slytherin rebellion had caused a lot of trouble and quite some pain. He had seen a fellow student get killed before being able to act and the mere thought of it still enraged him.

He blocked the painful memories from resurfacing and forced himself to remember the good times he had spent during the two years he was at Hogwarts. The carriages stopped before the great door of the Castle. And on the top of the short stairs, smiling broadly, stood the most renown wizard of the Century.

Albus Dumbledore greeted them cheerfully.

"Welcome back in Hogwarts, dear graduates," Dumbledore said. "I'm glad to see so many had been able to make it here. I'm really happy to see familiar faces and I'm even glad to see you again, dear misters," he added, staring intently at two young men with fiery red hair. Yannick did not know really who they were but he supposed they were related to Ron and Ginny Weasley.

"We, teachers of Hogwarts expect that all kind of experience would be a good thing to share with your young successors. Even the most unusual ones," Dumbledore added. "So before you join us for the first feast of this Reunion, I will explain how we are going to proceed. We asked you to wear the colours of your Houses. When you'll get to the feast, I'll ask you to get to your House table, grouped by year. You'll find of course, that we have made some arrangements with the great Hall so don't be surprised. You will be joined then by the current students. They will be mixed with you, so they can begin to ask questions to you, in order to make them more comfortable. But before that feast, you may want to take a walk and a look around in the Castle. To meet some people, and that kind of things. So we'll meet for the feast at nine. And for now, the place is all yours!"

At these words, the Doors of the Castle opened and there was a huge cheer from the crowd of guests.

"Ah, one more thing! The passages to your ancient Common Room has been warned of this event. So any password from your years in Hogwarts will grant you the access. Have a good evening!" and the headmaster stepped aside, to let the flow of people enter the gate.

Yannick saw that Alex had joined Sean and Cynthia. He pondered whether to go and join them but decided that after his encounter with Alex, it was best to stay away. He would join Sean and his wife afterwards. For now, it was best to meet with his former house's head, Professor Sprout. He had just started in the direction of the green houses when he heard a young voice calling him cheerfully. He turned and smiled as he recognized who it was.

Dressed in the black, red and gold robes of her house, her honey-blonde hair flying, Alwena was running towards him, looking positively thrilled to see him.

"I don't believe it!" she said as she flung herself in his arms, "You really came!"

"Wena!" he said, spinning her around and kissing her on both cheeks, "Merlin! It is so good to see you Little Devil!"

"Hey!" she complained, hitting him playfully on the arm, "Devil, yes. But not little anymore. I'm almost catching you up," she added, standing on tip toes to make her point.

"That is true," he said, smiling, "You sure grew a lot in these five years. How's school doing?"

"I love it!" she replied eagerly, "There is so much to learn! I hope we get to study dragons soon."

"I think you will need to wait a few years before that," he told her, "Dragons aren't really a subject for second years."

"Still, I can't wait."

"I bet," he said laughing, "and that reminds me, I have something for you."

"You do? Really?" she asked surprised, "Oh, what is it? Show me. Please!" she added, tugging his arm affectionately.

"Well at least give me a chance to take it out of my bag," he said.

She let him go and he reached in his bag. He took out a parcel and gave it to her. Sitting down eagerly on a nearby bench she tore off the red packing paper and revealed a wooden egg standing on a silver stand. It was of medium size and its light honey color gave it a golden look.

"Wow," Alwena said, mesmerized by the beauty of the artefact.

"Tap the top with your wand," Yannick said as he sat by her on the bench.

She took the egg gently and set it between them on the bench. She took out her wand and hit the egg lightly on the top. The egg gave a clicking noise and opened like a flower. Inside stood a little statue made out of wood. It showed a Chinese Fireball dragon, in the process of taking flight in a spiral movement. Its front paws were extended and in its mouth was small crystal ball.

"Where did you buy this?" Alwena asked, looking at her cousin.

"I did not buy it, Wena," he said, "I made it."

"You did?"

"It was part of one of my assignments during my training," Yannick said, "A test to see if I could use my tresshaping power to make something as delicate as this."

"This is amazing," she said, touching the wooden statue and feeling its scales.

"But it is not all, Wena," he said, "Gran added a little plus when I showed it to her. Touch the ball with your finger."

Alwena gently touched the ball in the dragon's mouth. The ball suddenly flashed with a green light and a little click was heard. The statue slid in a circular motion to the left, revealing a hidden receptacle in the base of the metal stand.

"In case you need a place to put your jewelry or other precious things in," Yannick said as Alwena was touching the black velvet that was inside the receptacle.

"Wow," Alwena said, "My own little secure space."

"That's right. Gran put in some little spells in it. The egg can still be opened by the Alhorama spell or a wand touching it on the top, but not the receptacle. I'll show you," he added, sliding the statue in place again and then touching the crystal ball.

This time it did not flash green, but instead flame red. The growl of a dragon was heard and some white smoke came out of the statue's nostrils for a few seconds. Yannick smiled and winked at Alwena as he went on to touch the ball a second time. The growl was heard again but this time a little burst of flames came out of the dragon's snout, enveloping the crystal ball in it and the dragon's eyes flashed red.

"Won't it burn the statue?" Alwena asked.

"Not at all," Yannick said, "I used a fireproof spell on the wood so it would be safe. The fire is just to look cool and kind of back off someone who would want to open it. If the person tries to force it open, he will get an electric shock and get stunned in the process. Courtesy of Gran again."

"This is totally like her," Alwena said grinning.

"So I take it that you like the present?" Yannick asked her.

"I don't like it, Yannick," she said standing up, "I absolutely love it!!" she added coming to hug him warmly.

"Well I am glad then," Yannick said, returning her hug, "At least something does go right today."

"Let me guess," Alwena said, "Your reunion with Alex did not go well?"

"Am I that readable?" he asked.

"Come on Nick!" she laughed, "It was not secret that you two loved each other. I saw that when you brought her back to Silverleaf Manor on the Christmas of your seventh year. You did all you could to cheer her up."

"She needed that."

"I agree. And you did a good job," Alwena said, "I could see that when I talked to her. I thought that you two would move in together after Hogwarts."

"Well we never actually finalized that but I helped her to move in her new apartment in London," Yannick said, "But then I had to go back to France and then you know what happened."

"Why did you not ask her to come with you?"

"I could not take her to the Elven realm, Wena," Yannick said, "You know that."

"Of course I do, you idiot!" she said, swatting his arm, "I am right behind you and Gran in Elven knowledge. I meant, ask her to stay at the Manor."

"I just could not," he replied.

"Why not? You two were a couple already."

"It is a bit more complicated than that, Wena," he told her.

"Want to talk about it?"

"Not really."

"All right. I wont force you too," she said, "But maybe you should tell her."

"She's liable to kill me on the spot if I try," he said sarcastically.

"So let her cool down a bit and then tell her," she said helpfully, "She can't stay angry at you for her whole life."

"Yeah. I guess not."

They stayed silent for a little while, Yannick being unwilling to go further into the subject.

"So where were you actually heading before I caught you?" Alwena asked.

"I was planning to see Professor Sprout," Yannick said, "Then maybe pass by the Hufflepuff common room."

"Always the Hufflepuff, huh?" she asked, "What do you see in that house anyway?" she added, grinning.

"Talk for yourself Gryffindor," he replied, hitting her playfully on the arm, "You should go and put your present in your room. I should still be with Professor Sprout when you get to the greenhouses. Meet me there."

"You better not be gone from there when I get there," she warned him as she stood up and gathered her present.

"Don't worry, Wena," he told her, "I'll be there still. I don't want to have another person mad at me today."

She smiled at this and headed back to the castle. He looked at her until she disappeared in the doors of the entrance hall. His relationship with Alwena had always been very enjoyable. She was the closest person he had for a sister and he was very happy to see her in Hogwarts, the school where he had learned many fascinating things and had some of his best memories.

She had changed during the five years that he had been away. The little girl that he had left was now in full growth and already was quite striking in her looks. He suspected that the Silverleaf Elven parentage had something to do in that. It would not be surprising if in her later years in school, Alwena would start breaking a few hearts.

He chuckled at the thought and stood up. It was still good to be back at Hogwarts. He wondered in which greenhouse he would find his former Head of House as he headed towards them.

Next: Chapter five: Reunion Feast

gmhpfan

gmhpfan

master of bamboozlement

• PipPipPip
  • 1,660 posts
hehehehehe
first post this time,
I'm sorry, but
Yannick deserved that, leaveing her without a word for 5 years
^_^
only a man could think that was reasonable i cant wait to see how he talks his way out off that one

g
Posted Image

Wolf

Wolf

• PipPipPip
  • 2,302 posts
Thx for the reply gmhpfan, and you are right, Yannick really deserved it. Will he manage to get himself out of it? Why did he do it in the first place? Wel... you will have to wait for the next chapters to find out.

I am posting this reply to let my readers know that... chapter five is completed but... it will not be posted soon. Reason for this is actually simple, my beta (Erwan) is right now on holidays and is not available to check my work. Thus I am not going to post anything for my fic until he gets back on the 22nd August. The main reason for this is that out timelines are intermingled together and my current fic takes place at the same time than his 'Seal of Chaos' fic. Thus I want his input beofre posting anything.

Hope you will forgive me on the delay... but then, rest assured that I am not stoping writing either. I fully plan to have chapter 6 and 7 ready as well for when he gets back. :P

I thought you would apreciate being informed.

*Liliana*

*Liliana*

The Storyteller

• PipPipPipPip
  • 6,969 posts
Finally read through this amazing piece of work you have here, Sylvain.

I really like this story. It's fascinating to see the magical world through the eyes of other characters beside cannon ones. And I really admire how your write each character so distinctly and realistically: they each have their own space in this world, fitting in perfectly. I especially like Alex; she's the kind of kick-a.ss girl with a heart that can be a true heroine. I also enjoy the little bits of the "natural way," i.e. mentioning the parts of life, like serving tea, that are part of the everyday routine. It makes your story more interesting and realistic.

The plot so far is very intriguing! I can't wait to find out more about it. The Elven kingdom sounds awesome; I've always been quite curious about how they live outside of England, and am looking forward to hearing what Yannick has to say about it.

I hope he has good excuses for Alex! He really needs some help with her, poor Yannick.

Brilliant work, Sylvain. You have talent! Can't wait to see what you have for us in the next chapter.

Wolf

Wolf

• PipPipPip
  • 2,302 posts
Hmmm... not many reviews for a whole month... I guess it is because of the month of August and the summer holidays.

Anyways... Erwan is back and chapter 5 is now betaed and ready to be posted. So this means... An update!:nuts:

gmhpfan: Thanks a lot for your reply. Yup, Yannick will need to have a good excuse to get himself forgiven by Alex, but then... you will see his reason in the chapters that will come. And it is a good one. ^_^

Lils: Welcome back into my fics! *hands over chocolate brownie* I am really happy you like the way this fic is written. I sometimes have the feeling that I tend to describe too much and sometimes not enough... but surprisingly, I somehow manage to convey what I want to. Weird.

Alex is definitely the kind of girl that does not let herself walked on. She can be very impulsive and forward, as Yannick saw in Discovery and in this fic but will also be ready to kick a.ss and take names if need be, as Malfoy painfully experienced in Discovery and this fic as well. :nuts:

There will quite surely be some more parts on the Elven ways in this story, seeing that Yannick just spent a while with them, I am sure he will share some of his memories... I might add that Erwan's new fic, Orb of Aedfili gave some insight on the Elven neighbors of the Atlantean wizards... ^_^

Poor Yannick indeed, I would have hated to be in his shoes and as you will be able to see... Alex is not quick to forgive... (kind of makes sense... after five years.)

Alrighty then. Thanks a lot Erwan for betaing and letting me use parts of your excellent fic, "The Seal of Chaos", which is available in the completed Dram section of the Snitch and which I highly recommend to anyone who has not read it yet.

That said... here is the next chapter:

Chapter Five: Reunion Feast:
----------------------------------------

Yannick froze at the entrance of the Great Hall. The place that he remembered was now at least four times its usual size, no doubt for accommodating the current students as well as their returning graduates. It was however familiar with its four long table going from the entrance to the teacher's table at the other end. Many students were already in the Great Hall. Not many were sitting yet and he could see different groups talking animatedly together, sharing stories and greeting old school friends.

"Well at least I am not late," he thought as he made his way to the Hufflepuff table.

His meeting with Professor Sprout had been very enjoyable and it had been a pleasure to talk again with his old Head of House. He had found her in one of the greenhouse, preparing one of her next lesson for the next week with the Gryffindor and Hufflepuff second years, re-potting young mandrake plants. He had used his treeshaping power to help her, putting the plants to sleep so she could prepare them without having to wear earmuffs. This way they were able to talk for a good while, only to be joined by Alwena afterwards.

Yannick had found out that Professor Sprout was a little disappointed in his cousin's performance in Herbology as she had apparently expected her to do as well as him, being a Silverleaf. He had to explain her that being a Silverleaf did not mean that Alwena would do well in that subject as well.

He had spent the rest of the time after his meeting with Professor Sprout, with his cousin, catching up on what she was doing in school and family news that she knew of. While Gran had talked to him at length, filling him in on what had happened during his absence, Alwena's child viewpoint of things was always enjoyable to hear. Despite her still young age, Alwena had already proven to understand a lot of the worries adults could have. She also had a stubborn streak that made it very hard to get her to back off from an idea when she knew she was right. And to his surprise when that happened, she usually was. He smiled as he sat down at the table, next to Sean.

"Well there you are," his friend said, "what's the stupid smile for," he chided him, earning himself a slap on the shoulder.

"I had a long and nice talk with my cousin, Alwena," Yannick answered.

"She's in Hogwarts?"

"Yep. In her second year now," Yannick said, "Got sorted into Gryffindor."

"Not Hufflepuff?" Sean asked in mock surprise, "Must not be such a hard worker then."

Yannick snorted at that. "I won't repeat that to her," he said, "Don't want to see my best mate hexed."

"Thanks for caring for my sake."

"Actually not for yours," Yannick answered with a grin, "I just want to spare Cynthia the sight of seeing your angelic face full of boils."

"Oooh! Nice one," Sean said, laughing, " You have not lost your edge mate. But would she really do this?"

"Wena? Absolutely!" Yannick answered, "Why do you think I call her 'little devil'?"

"Then she really fits in Gryffindor," Sean replied.

They were soon joined at their table by other Hufflepuff from their year, Hannah Abbot, Ernie McMillan, Justin Finch-Fletchley and Susan Bones, to name just a few. The group talked together, sharing news and catching up with where each other had been.

Yannick looked at the Ravenclaw table and saw that Cynthia and Alex were seated there. But while Cynthia was seated in a way where she could still catch her husband's eye, Alex was sitting opposite from her and somehow Yannick knew that it was on purpose. She seemed to be talking with a girl from her year but he could not remember who it was.

The Slytherin table was not as filled as the other three, at least in the years close to Yannick's own. The events of his seventh year had a lot to do in that but he refused to think about them on a day where all should be enjoying to be reunited with old friends and schoolmates.

He noted that the Gryffindor table had a few redheads on it and while he recognized Ron Weasley and his sister, Ginny, he saw that there were at least six more persons on the table with the distinctive hair color. The two twins that Dumbledore had greeted at the castle's entrance, an young man that was strongly built and looked ready to wrestle a troll, another young man, perhaps just a year older than the other, sporting a ponytail and two older person, a man and a lady, who from their age could only be the parents of the whole.

Before he was able to continue more on his analysis of the hall, the main doors opened and the current Hogwarts student came in the Hall. Yannick saw Alwena who waved enthusiastically to him before to go and sit down at the Gryffindor table, next to the strong looking Weasley. The students looked thrilled about the reunion and he could understand them. Quite a number of the people around had become quite known. He could see the students pointing as they passed by the famous Quidditch players, the members of the Order of the Phoenix, known Aurors and the rest. It was nice to see that so many former students of Hogwarts had turned out to have respectable careers. And now they were here to pass on knowledge to the next generation.

Yannick looked at Sean and could see that his friend was most probably sharing the same thought. He was about to ask him about it when a young girl came to occupy the free seat between them. She looked like she was in her first year and had short chestnut hair and brown eyes. The young girls nodded shyly to the older persons around her.

"Well hello there," Susan said, seeing that the girl felt out of place, "What's your name?"

"Sandra Beechwood," the girl replied shyly.

"Nice to meet you, Sandra," Susan said, reassuringly, "I'm Susan Bones. And here you have Hannah Abbot, Ernie McMillan, Justin Finch Fletchey, Sean O'Maley and Yannick Silverleaf," she added, introducing the former students that were nearest. Yannick saw the girl's eyes go wide as she looked at Hannah, Susan and Ernie.

"You helped in the defence of the school during the rebellion," she said amazed, "You were part of Harry Potter's DA club."

"Well, we were not the only ones," Susan said with a smile, "And we were more helping those two actually," she added, nodding towards Yannick and Sean.

"I think you are a bit exaggerating, Susan," Yannick said, feeling a bit uncomfortable.

"Oh? So you and Sean knocked out five opponents, four of them without the use of a wand, prevented the breaching of the common room's entrance, giving us time to put the rest of the Hufflepuffs in security, that only being the start," she replied, "And I am exaggerating? You two did wonders!"

"Yeah, I guess we did," Sean replied.

"I had big motivation at that particular time," Yannick said.

"No kidding," Ernie said, "Must have been something,"

"You have no idea," Yannick replied more to himself than his friend.

"So what do you want to do when you get older, Sandra?" Sean asked, trying to make the young girl feel more at ease.

"I would like to become an Auror," she replied, "It seems like a fascinating job."

"Well, that depends which department you get assigned to," Yannick said with a smile, "Right, Sean?" he asked his friend.

"Right," Sean said, "As a word of advice, stay away from Earnshawn's department. The people in that office are usually useless."

"But being an Auror is a very fascinating job indeed," Susan said, "You have to have high marks to get there though."

"I don't really mind working hard when it means achieving what I want," Sandra replied.

"Spoken like a true Hufflepuff," Sean said, nodding appreciatively.

Yannick was about to add something but stopped as Dumbledore had stood up, causing silence to fall over the Hall. He seemed to clear his throat but nobody was able to hear him. He raised his wand, and pointed it to his throat.

"Sonorus!"

"Dear students and graduates. It's a great pleasure to see you all gathered here for the first time. From now on, the tradition of the reunion will continue every seven years, so that every student here can have at least one chance to meet his predecessors."

There was a huge cheer from all the tables.

"Now, before the feast begins, I'd like to pay homage to some people. I'd like all of you to give a toast with me to the memory of all the students of this school who aren't with us tonight, because of dark events, accidents and painful separations."

He raised his goblet. Everyone stood up and raised their goblet as well. They drank silently. Yannick thought of the students who had taken part in the defence of the school in his seventh year. Many had been injured and unfortunately, some had lost their lives in the events. He also thought of Gael, his uncle, who had died in a Death Eater attack on the French Ministry of Magic. Dumbledore put his goblet down and continued on with his speech.

"But even darkest times have their share of hope and light. And thus, I'd like to pay homage to all the members of the Order of the Phoenix that I see among us. Your fight has saved so many lives that nothing could express our gratitude properly."

There was a huge roar of cheering in the crowd. Yannick and Sean joined in enthusiastically.
Dumbledore raised his hands again, calling for attention.

"And more precisely, I'd like to give a few names, and I apologize to their owners, for I know they don't like to be praised too much. I'd like to pay tribute to the Weasley family, which has suffered many pains and many losses in their fight against evil. Arthur, Molly, William, Charles, Frederic and George, Ronald and Ginevera... We owe you very much, my friends."

Cheering was heard again and not only from the Gryffindor table.

"Then, I'd like to salute some close friends of mine, that attended studies here and that had been a huge support in these dark years we went through. Remus Lupin, Severus Snape, All the teachers around me, and Nymphadora Tonks." The cheers went even higher.

"There is someone else I'd like to name, but I know he would call the thunder upon me if I did so, so I'd just like to say that he saved us from a great peril, even if very few people are aware of that."

Yannick looked at Sean, raising a questioning eyebrow, but his friend shrugged, apparently not knowing exactly what the headmaster meant exactly. They cheered with the rest nonetheless.

"Finally, I'd like also to give credit to some of the most extraordinary students I've met in my many years as Hogwarts Headmaster. I want to speak of Miss Luna Lovegood, Mister Neville Longbottom; Mrs Hermione Granger-Weasley, and of course, Mister Harry Potter."

All the eyes went straight to Harry and his friends. Luna smiled dreamily at her Ravenclaw classmates. Neville was red but couldn't help a little smile. It however seemed that Hermione and Harry on the other hand were trying their best to disappear under the table. Dumbledore began to clap his hands, and everyone in the Hall followed his example. This time Harry really disappeared under the table. But the Hall didn't stop cheering and clapping for a long time.

"And now, let the feast begin!!!" said Dumbledore. All the plates were now full and everyone threw themselves at it.

After the feast, the tables disappeared and the Great Hall was turned into a reception hall, with seats all along the walls, tables with drinks and cakes. The evening was planned to go over all the night, apparently. The students were now more relaxed to talk about careers with their famous predecessors. Yannick continued to talk a bit with Sandra, along with Susan and Sean. The young Hufflepuff was delighted of the different advices they gave her on what to do if she wanted to become an Auror. She left them together with Susan after a while, to present her to some friends of hers.

"Well," Sean said, "Seems like we are not as well known and respected as Susan, heh?"

"Yeah, right!" Yannick snorted, "Perhaps it's because her aunt is very well respected in the Ministry?"

"Or maybe it's because you two never stop to banter and thus no one takes you seriously," Cynthia said before to snake her arm around her husband's waist.

"I can't stop to banter," Sean said, feigning being hurt, "It would ruin my charm."

"I wonder what charm you are referring to, mate," Yannick said.

"Yeah, me too," Cynthia added.

"Betrayed by my own wife," Sean said in a dramatic tone, "Where is the world coming to?"

"I love you too," Cynthia said, laughing and kissing him on the cheek, "So, Nick, enjoying your return to Hogwarts?"

"In a way, yes," Yannick answered, "It is good to see familiar faces again. And I must admit that I missed the mood of the castle."

"Glad to hear that," Cynthia said, "And you are expected to come a sleep at our house during your stay here, you know that."

"Uuuuh, I am not sure this is a good idea," Yannick said, scratching his head and feeling uneasy.

"Nick, I know exactly what happened between you and Alex in the train," Cynthia said, "She told me as soon as I saw her. But her reaction does not mean that you cannot sleep at our house."

"She does not want to see me, Cynthia," Yannick said.

"But Sean wants and so do I," she replied defiantly, "And last time I checked it was our house."

"I do not want to impose my presence on her," Yannick countered.

"Look Nick, I want you to be there," Cynthia said, "Alex has her right to be angry at you and I understand her. But I also understand your explanations and you will need to see how to tell her the same thing. Now might not be a good time, true, but fleeing her presence will hurt her more than you think. If she voices protest of you being there, I'll deal with it, okay?"

"All right," Yannick said, knowing that it was no use to argue. He was about to say something else when he saw Alwena coming towards him, her face beaming.

"So Wena," he asked her as she reached him. "Enjoying your reunion?"

She nodded eagerly. "There are so many people to meet," she said brightly.

"I am glad to hear that," Yannick replied, passing his arm around her shoulder, "You remember Sean and Cynthia right?"

"Of course!" she answered, "How are you?"

"Doing fine, thank you," Sean replied, smiling.

"It is a pleasure to see you again, Alwena," Cynthia said, bending to kiss the girl on the cheek.

"Same here," Alwena replied, "Is it for soon?" she asked, pointing to Cynthia's belly.

Cynthia exchanged a loving look with her husband before answering, "It should be for January."

"Do you know if it will be a boy or a girl?" Alwena asked, looking very interested.

"We preferred not finding out," Sean said, taking Cynthia's hand, "I always thought the Muggles were spoiling the surprise with their machines," he added.

"And what about you, Alwena?" Cynthia said, "Which interesting persons did you meet tonight?"

"Well, I did not meet that many actually," Alwena admitted, "But I saw a lot of known faces."

"So, who did you meet?" Yannick pressed on.

"I met Charlie Weasley," she said, grinning broadly, "I was sitting next to him during the feast. He's a dragon handler!" she added, looking thrilled.

"Oh! I guess you had a very nice talk then," Yannick said, "Seeing how much you like dragons."

"It was so cool!" Alwena answered, "He knows so much about them."

"I am sure he does," Sean said, "the Ministry often liaises with the reservation in Romania when they have dragon trouble here," he added.

"Where is Romania?" Alwena asked.

"I thought you learned your Geography with you father, Wena," Yannick said teasingly, which earned his a playful slap on the arm from his cousin.

"I only learned the main countries around France and England," she countered.

"Alright, it's in the South East of Europe, near the Black Sea," Yannick answered.

"I am sure that the school library has an atlas where you can find it," Sean said, helpfully.

"Of course it does!" Cynthia said, "Mme Pince has almost any book you could need."

"Seeing the amount of time you spent there during school, I believe you without a question, love" Sean said, kissing his wife on the cheek.

"He told me there were some books on dragons in the library. I'll have to find them," Alwena said.

"I'm sure there are some good ones but the best of them are in the restricted section," Cynthia said, "So you will have to wait a bit before to get hold of them."

"Why are they there?" Alwena asked.

"Well some of the spells used to subdue or handle dragons are very complex and sometime can be dangerous," Cynthia continued, "They are not the type of spells you teach a Hogwarts student. Maybe after you OWLS. But for sure after your NEWTS you will be able to access them."

"That's what he told me," Alwena said, "He said that he stayed some time in Hogwarts after his NEWTS, to be able to study more on dragons."

"Well seeing your enthusiasm on the subject," Sean said, "I would say that your career is already drawn out for you. What do you think, Yannick?"

But Yannick did not hear him. His attention had been drawn by a little commotion at the entrance of the Great Hall. He heard Sean swear under his breath and Cynthia gasp. Standing at the entrance, dressed in his Slytherin colours and surrounded by friends from his former house, was Draco Malfoy, looking as contemptuous as ever.

This sight made Yannick blood boil with anger and also brought memories he would have preferred to keep undisturbed deep inside him.

Next: Chapter Six: Rebellion

Entropist

Entropist

King Of Terrors Forever

• PipPip
  • 562 posts
Okay, easy one, I know, to reply quickly on this chapter. After all, I betaed it, so I know what's inside, right?
I must however say something that I alone can say... you used my written parts very well. It fits very well, in my opinion. I just can imagine Yannick in the background of the same scenes, in "Seal of Chaos".
So what can I say except that this chapter is very good. I know the next one is even better, so I just can't wait until you post it.

*turns to the other readers*
Hey, don't look at me like that, okay? I've already sent the betaed version of Chapter six so the delay won't be mine... here you go, Syl, now you have no excuse to make us wait, have you?

Back from the Dead!

The inquisitorial vengeance had been hurried by my two-fold escape, and there was to be no more dallying with the King of Terrors

My fiction reborn:

*Liliana*

*Liliana*

The Storyteller

• PipPipPipPip
  • 6,969 posts
The reunion was so sweet. I almost felt like I was there, saying hellos to my favorite characters, hehe. I especially like how you wrote Harry, trying to hide under the table, LOL! That's so like him...

The memories that were dredged up as Yannick looked on were bittersweet, it seemed. It was like he was greeting his past again. The mood was very nostaligc.

Sean and Yannick are the complemantary duo, hehe. They seem like fraternity brothers with all of their banter and teasing!

Now Draco has arrived. ^_^ Does not speak well for this turn of events...and I wonder what will happen between Alex and Yannick, now that they're going to stay at the same house? *gasp*

Well written chapter, Sylvain. Post more as soon as you can. ^__^

LaLaLuna

LaLaLuna

Countess Devil Spawn

• 7,537 posts
Well, I'm caught up. . .finally *sigh*

It's good to see Alwean again. She has a vivacious attitude that brings a freshness to the story. I really liked the gift Yannick made for her. (I want one :D )

So, Alex is angry. . .I can't help but think she's going to feel ten times the fool when she learns Yannick's explanation of his disappearance. Then even angrier at being made a fool of.
No matter the complications of the situation, Yannick should have said something. So both are the injured party, hope they can get it all straightened out (which I'm sure they will).

I liked the set up of the bringing together os the characters. Showing the day to day. Now we're coming to the meat of the story, where it'll begin to deviate yet share timelines with Erwan's stories.

PPMS

Hanna

IKWT!

My Fics
Riddle and Secrets ~ Coming Full Circle ~ Living Memories ~ The Sorting of Priorities
Luna's Loss ~ A Summer's Day ~ Who Would Have Thought ~ Wilted Flower ~ Spring in the Air

Wolf

Wolf

• PipPipPip
  • 2,302 posts
All right- how about an update?

Chapter six has been ready for a while now but I was waiting for a bit of time to pass before posting it. I also want to warn that work has picked up quite a bit, shortening the time I can spend writing quite drastically. Chapter seven is well under way but my update my loose in speed due to work. Sorry about that.

Now to the replies:

Erwan: Thanks a lot for your answer. Yes, I am sure you knew what would happen already, as we have discussed a lot on IM on this. I am glad you feel my story blends with yours, this was what I was trying to achieve, so I am glad I managed it. As for chapter Six- well, yes, now here is is- I had to make them wait a bit. :P

Lils: Thank you so much for your reply. I must say that Harry hiding under the table was Erwan's idea- I took it from Seal. But I know that Harry hates to be famous.

Yannick's memories are bittersweet, yes, you will see in this chapter why. And also later in the story other reasons. But do not worry though- I have planned so good things for him too. :P He and Sean are best of friends now, after the adventures they shared at school. The banter is the part of their friendship I like the most. It is very enjoyable to write. As for him and Alex in the same house- well- sparks in view- but Cynthia will be here to calm the game.

And Malfoy showed his mug- yes. But if you read Seal of Chaos- you know what happens to him. ;) You will find out by reading this chappie too. :D

Hanna: You caught up! Yay! *hands chocolate fudge brownies*

Alwena is a very dear character to me... I really like to write her. On the gift she got from Yannick... I'll with him if he can do one for you too. ;)

You summed up the way Alex is going to feel quite well, and I can assure you that Yannick is not feeling better either. Those two need to patch up- I hope they will (as if I would not know what happens after. It is all in my head. :P )

You are right on the story deviating soon though, it will very soon do so, but not yet.

Allright- all answered? Good! To the story then.

Chapter Six: Rebellion
--------------------------------

Hogwarts castle, Seventh year

"What in Merlin's name is going on?!?" Yannick asked as he entered in the Hufflepuff common room, his hair still dripping from the shower he had been in and strapping his wand sheath to his left arm. He headed towards a group of student that was coming his the common room, some of them looking very afraid. They were led by Hannah Abbot and Ernie McMillan.

"Hannah?" he asked, "What's happening?"

The Hufflepuff prefect from his year shot him a frantic look. "Slytherin students are creating havoc. Looks like Draco Malfoy is leading them," she said, "I did not see the main group myself but I have been told they are trying to take over the school."

"This is crazy!" Yannick replied, "Only Slytherins doing this?"

"Not sure, Yannick," Ernie said as he joined them, "No Hufflepuff at least but I heard that there might be a few Ravenclaws helping them."

"And they are apparently also targeting the ones they call 'blood traitors'," Hannah added, "We are trying to get all the students from our house in the safety of the common room."

Yannick shuddered. The 'blood traitors' as Slytherins called them, were the wizards born from Muggle parents or Wizard and Muggle parents. Lately they had been including in it the ones who openly helped Muggles, which was to say a lot of the students in Hogwarts. He looked at his wolf pendant quickly. It was not glowing, meaning that Alex was safe for the time being. Most probably already in the safety of her common room.

"I am going out to help round up any students I find," he said.

"I'm coming with you," Ernie replied.

Hannah was about to say the same thing when he stopped her. "I appreciate you wanting to help Hannah, but I will feel better if you, Susan and the rest of our year stay here to defend the common room and the dorms," he said.

"Alright," Hannah replied, "But you two be careful. I would not put it past them to be using unforgivables," she added with a dark tone.

"Thanks for the warning," Yannick said as he and Ernie went out into the corridor.

It was empty, but they could hear distant noises and several screams. They carefully went in direction of the main hall, looking for any Hufflepuff that would be missing. Sean and Justin had not been in the common room and that meant that they were outside as well. The sudden screams of pain of a boy got them to rush over to the hall and the sight that greeted them as they reached it sickened them.

Three Slytherins were hexing a Gryffindor third year, clearly enjoying the sick fun they were getting out of it. One of them cast a Crutacius at the boy but Yannick shielded him, causing the Slytherins to pause, wondering what had happened. Ernie used the advantage of surprise to stun one of them while Yannick disarmed and stunned the one that had cast the last curse. The third tried to hex Ernie but the latter protected himself and Yannick sent that last Slytherin crashing into the nearby wall, knocking him unconscious. They then rushed to the side of the Gryffindor who was trying to get back on his feet.

"Are you alright?" Yannick asked as he reached him.

The young boy nodded but did not speak. Yannick could see that he was crying and seemed in pain.

"Yannick?" someone said.

He turned to see Sean and Justin coming into the hall, followed by a group of young Hufflepuffs, mostly in the first, second and third years. Two sixth years came behind the group, making sure everyone was safe.

"Man! I am glad to see you guys," Yannick said as he stood up to greet them.

"Anyone following you?" Ernie asked them.

"Not if they can un-stun themselves," one of the sixth years said, darting her eyes in different direction to catch any movement.

"Do we know of anyone else missing?" Yannick asked.

Before anyone could answer, some running was heard from one of the staircase leading to the first floor. A group of fourth years was seen coming down as fast as they could, Zacharias Smith and another Hufflepuff from the year below his running with them.

"They are right behind us!" the girl shouted as she came down the stairs.

Zacharias stopped in the middle of the staircase and turned towards the first floor.

"Get them to safety. I'll hold them," he said, putting his wand in guard position.

Before Yannick and the rest could tell him to turn and run, that they were there to cover him and the rest of his group, a figure appeared on the landing, slashing its wand in the his direction. The curse's green energy shot towards Zacharias, its skull shape breaking through the shield charm he had just invoked and passing through him. He did not scream and suddenly let go of his wand, his lifeless body tumbling down the rest of the stairs.

"Nooo! Zacharias!" the girl screamed, as she saw him fall down towards her.

Yannick looked at who had cast the curse and saw that it was a seventh year Slytherin that he knew a bit too well, Blaise Zabini. The tall black youngster was looking at Zacharias' body, an evil smile across his face.

"You bloody murderer!!" he heard Sean bellow next to him.

"More targets over here guys!" Zabini said in the corridor behind him.

" Russe tuulo' moriloomir!!!" (*) Yannick screamed, darting his wand towards the gloating Slytherin.

Energy crackled out of his wand and sped towards Zabini. The Slytherin had only time to retreat hastily in the corridor before the lightning struck the top of the entrance, toppling stones. More hexes hit around the same spot, causing more stone to fall and effectively blocking the way. Many Hufflepuffs had their wands drawn and looked furious.

"This will only hold them for a short time," Yannick told Sean and Ernie, "We need to get the rest to the safety of the common room."

"What about him?" Justin asked, pointing to the Gryffindor third year.

"We take him with us," Sean said.

"He cannot come into the common room!" one of the fifth year said, "It is against the rules."

"To Hades with the rules!" Yannick snapped, "You want him to suffer the same fate than Zacharias? He goes with us and that's final. Now move it!" he added, pointing in the direction of the common room.

The students started to move quickly in the direction he had pointed. He walked towards the sixth year girl who had been with Zacharias. She was sobbing lightly and looked in shock, stroking the boy's blond hair out of his now closed eyes. Justin and Sean followed him, the former passing him as they reached her and gently putting his hand on her shoulder.

"Heather, we need to get to the common room," Justin said softly.

"Why did he have to kill him?" she asked, "All he was trying to do was to protect the others."

"Yeah. And he'll pay for it, that I swear," Yannick said, darkly, "But right now it is more important that everyone reaches the safety of the common room."

Sean waved his wand and levitated Zacharias' body while Justin helped Heather on her feet and led her towards the common room. Yannick went to the main entrance and took a step out, looking carefully to make sure no Slytherins were there. Once he was sure of that he cupped his hands to his mouth and let out a long howl. He was answered less than a minute after by another howl, this time coming from the forbidden forest. Having done this he turned back to follow his housemates.

"A little reinforcement is on the way," he explained to Sean who was shooting him an interrogative look.

"We'll need it," Sean said grimly, as they followed their housemates towards the common room.

As they reached it they saw that Susan and Ernie were waiting for them, their wands drawn and ready for anything. Susan let out a faint cry when she saw Zacharias' body being levitated by Sean. She followed the Irishman through the panel that led to the common room. Yannick and Ernie were about to follow them when they heard the sound of people running coming from the entrance hall. They turned to see a group of Slytherins running towards them, their wands drawn. They were led by Zabini.

"Crucio!" "Stupefy" "Everte statum!" the Slytherin shouted, sending curses and hexes in their direction.

"Tinechor!" (**) "Protego!" Yannick and Ernie countered.

The Slytherin attack was blocked and Yannick pushed Ernie towards the entrance of their common room.

"Go! I'm right behind you," he said, "Just need to do one more spell," he added, gathering his strength for the powerful spell he was planning.

"[/I]Vara tel' Seldarine[/I]!" (***) he said, making a wide circular movement with his wand as the Slytherins sent new hexes in his direction.

A shimmering blue wall formed itself in front of the advancing Slytherins and prevented their second attack from reaching him. The Slytherins found that they could not pass the barrier and started to hit against it. Yannick smiled, mentally thanking Gran as he went through the entrance to the common room, closing the panel behind him. During his last stay over the summer and winter holidays, Gran had trained him in casting Elven spells and her influence had been a great help for him to master them. To be able to cast this Elven protection spell was a kind of victory for him as these spells were some of the toughest to cast.

As he entered the common room he looked at the faces of the ones that were there. Some of them looked grim, some were afraid, a good number were furious, and Yannick was part of them. Zacharias' death had created a shock amongst them.

"All the students below fifth year are to go in their dormitories and only open their doors or windows to the prefects or Professor Sprout," Hannah said with authority.

She was, along with Ernie, the prefect for the seventh year and was quite respected amongst the students. They did not object and started to move in the directions of the dormitories.

"Is there any secret passage to the dormitories?" Yannick asked.

"Not that we know of," Ernie said.

Sean was about to say something when voices were heard behind the panel.

"Bloody spell gave them time to close the panel," one voice said.

"Try the password we got."

"I did," the first voice replied, "Does not work."

"Stand aside," the voice of Zabini was heard saying.

Yannick looked at Sean. This was not good. They heard a muttered incantation and the panel shook, like if something was trying to ram it open. Yannick did not think twice and acted.

"Everyone take cover," he said, running to the panel and placing both hands on it.

He concentrated on the wooden panel, letting his treeshaping power flow through him. He was maybe not yet fully trained but he had to prevent the Slytherins from entering. He found the cracks that had been created by the previous spell and mended them. He then started to reinforce the wood on the side, blending it with the frame so it would be stronger. Another blow shook the panel and a crack appeared in the middle. This time Yannick had heard the reducto spell but had not been able to brace for it. He breathed deeply and forced the crack to mend.

"What the?" he heard a voice say, "The crack is reducing!"

"Not for long," Zabini said, "REDUCTO!"

This time he was ready for it and was able to contain the damage, but the crack became a bit bigger anyway. He was focusing in fixing the crack again when he hear a sudden howl from the corridor, causing Zabini to stop mid-spell.

"Look out!"

"It's Silverleaf's crazy beast!"

"Someone stun him!"

"Get him off me!!! Get him off me!!!"

Yannick smiled and mentally thanked his friend for the time he was buying him. He mended the crack in full and finished to meddle the panel with its frame. That should do the trick.

"Should we not help Altair?" Sean asked from behind the armchair he was taking cover with.

"Altair can shrug most spells off," Yannick said, "He should be able to scare them off," he added.

As he said this he felt a sudden pain in his chest, like if all the air was being chased from it. He fell on his knees, supporting himself with one hand while the other clutched his chest. A yelp of pain was heard from the corridor.

"Yannick? Are you alright?" Sean asked.

Altair had been hurt. Yannick was trying to get up when he felt a sudden emptiness filling him. No... it could not be. He and Altair were linked, able to tell ones feelings and experiencing them too. What he was feeling now was if the bond had been cut. He could not feel Altair anymore.

"No," he whispered, turning towards the entrance panel, eyes wide, "Nooooo, Altair!" he screamed.

Before he could move more the panel exploded open, the strength of the spells used sending him to hit the wall a few meter behind him. Still dazed he saw the Slytherins rushing inside the common room, cheering at their success.

They were met by the hexes of the few Huffelpuffs that had stayed to defend the common room. Two Slytherins went down, stunned and the other retaliated. Yannick looked around for his wand and saw that it was in the middle of the room, out of his reach. A Slytherin boy was suddenly standing in front of him, gloating.

"Poor little Frenchie lost his little pet?" he asked, "Well, I'll send you to meet him then," he added with a sneer.

Yannick let out a scream of fury and launched himself at the Slytherin, punching him in the belly as he reached him. The boy doubled up in pain and Yannick brought his elbow down on his neck, knocking him unconscious. He rolled on his right to escape a hex that had been aimed at him, grabbing a long piece of wood that was laying on the floor, a part from the broken panel. Rising from his roll he used it to dispatch a second Slytherin boy with two swift strokes. One to the back of the legs, to bring him down, and the second to the head. He was too infuriated to be careful not to hurt anymore. The boy screamed in pain but was soon laying on the floor, stunned by Susan Bones.

Yannick looked around and saw two more Slytherins ganging up on Ernie. He let out a scream and went towards them, causing one to turn to face the new threat. The second one was stunned by Ernie while the first was bringing his wand to bear on Yannick. Using his makeshift sword, Yannick swatted the hand away with a left handed stroke and concluded with a right hook to the boy's jaw that sent him to the floor, down for the count.

A scream of pain was heard at the entrance and Yannick saw Justin double up in pain under the power of a Cruciatus curse, his attacker being none other than Zabini. Justin was quickly shielded by a spell from Ernie and Yannick ran towards Zabini, knocking another Slytherin down with a strike from his piece of wood at the same time, but also breaking it in the process. Zabini did not have time to cast a spell and Yannick lunged at him, catching midsection and rolling out of the common room and into the corridor with him. The two of them fought and Zabini managed to kick him in the stomach, sending him rolling towards the entrance. Yannick started to rise, shaking off the daze from the hit but suddenly found himself facing the tip of Zabini's wand, the Slytherin towering over him with a victorious smile.

"Say your prayers, Silverleaf," he said.

Yannick was still too furious to think and looked at the power in the wand, using his treeshaping power to locate the core. Then, sending a surge of power through it he caused the core to explode, breaking the wand in half and leaving a stunned Zabini looking at his now worthless wand. Yannick used the surprise to grab the Slytherin's wand hand and giving it an expert twist, brought him to his knees, screaming in pain.

"You worthless piece of trash," Yannick said between his teeth, "Give me one reason why I should not break your neck right here."

"I'll give you one, Nick," Sean said from the entrance of the common room, "He's not worth it."

"He killed one of our fellow housemates, Sean," Yannick said furiously, "And also the one being that was as close as a brother to me."

"I know that mate and I am as furious as you are," Sean said, "But you are not like him, Nick. You are not a killer."

Yannick let these words sink in him. He looked down on Zabini who was still on his knees, trying to get out of Yannick's grip but failing miserably. Sean was right, although he wanted nothing more than to make Zabini pay, he knew that killing him would make him no better than him. And that was not right. With a swift move, he hit the Slytherin in the face with his knee, breaking his nose and sending him to the floor.

"All yours, Sean," he said, turning away.

He heard his friend cast a stunning spell as he headed towards Altair's limp form.

Hogwarts Castle – Present time – Great Hall

"Yannick? Are you with us, mate?"

Yannick became aware of Sean snapping his fingers in front of his face.

"Oh, yeah. I'm sorry, Sean," he said, shaking his head.

"No problems," his friend replied.

"You seem to have gone deep in thoughts all of a sudden," Cynthia said, looking at him worriedly, "Are you alright?"

"I am okay," he reassured her, "It is just that some bad memories suddenly resurfaced when I caught a glance of the scumbag and his friends over there," he said, nodding towards the entrance of the hall.

"I can't believe he had the guts to show himself," Sean said.

"Who is it?" Alwena asked.

"Draco Malfoy," Yannick said, "Led a rebellion against the authority of the school, tried to kill a teacher in the process but was stopped by Harry Potter, Hermione Granger, Ron Weasley and the rest of the DA."

"Right after this incident he and the ones who helped him were thrown out and banned from Hogwarts, not to mention one that was sent for life in Azkaban." Sean added.

"And I think that I will join the group that is welcoming him warmly right now," Yannick said, taking his wand out from its sheath.

But before he could move towards the entrance, Malfoy was thrown in the air, head facing downwards and hung there. The former Slytherin's eyes were looking frantically around, apparently trying to find out who had cast the hex.

"I remember having told you once that it wouldn't hurt you to be polite, Malfoy," a voice was heard saying ahead of him.

Yannick could not make out who it was but he clearly saw the people part to let someone with long brown hair pass.

"I wonder who this is," Sean said, "But he clearly is respected by many."

"And he clearly does not like people who are not polite," Cynthia said, smiling lightly.

"I said, SHUT UP!" they heard the man roar to another tall blond Slytherin that apparently was arguing with him, "Unless you want to join him."

"This man has got to be a Gryffindor," Yannick said, "Any idea who it can be Alwena?"

"I have no clue," she answered.

"Whoever he is, he is not afraid of the big ones," Sean said, looking impressed, "This is Devin Stiller he just shouted at."

Malfoy was suddenly thrown three feet higher in the air, back down again and then back up, the movements occurring briskly at the ticks of seconds. Malfoy suddenly looked as pale as a ghost.

"NOW!" they hear the man shout.

Malfoy mumbled something that the man made him repeat, before to let him drop roughly on the floor. There seemed to be more talking ongoing, with the man talking roughly with Devin Stiller once more and clearly telling him to leave. Stiller seemed defiant but somehow, something the man did made him falter and leave the hall, Malfoy trailing behind him. The tension that had been on that part of the hall relaxed as soon as they were gone.

"I do not know about you, but I am dying to see who this was," Sean said, "Coming, Nick?"

"You go ahead," Yannick replied, "I am going to take a walk outside. I need some fresh air."

"And I am going to see Alex," Cynthia said.

"So no one to accompany me?" Sean said on a false weeping tone, "What am I going to do?"

"I'll come with you," Alwena said, tugging his sleeve.

"Milady, you are my saviour," Sean said brightly, "Lead the way and I shall follow,"

"Don't get any funny ideas, Sean," Cynthia warned on a playful tone.

"Me? Never, Love," Sean answered, kissing her before to follow Alwena in the crowd of guests.

Yannick and Cynthia looked at them disappear in the crowd.

"Sean will never change, will he?" Yannick asked, chuckling.

"I definitely hope not," Cynthia said, "This is the reason I like him so much. He can be infuriating and stubborn sometimes, but he will always find a way to make you laugh and forgive him."

"Pure truth," Yannick agreed.

"Well, I am off to find Alex," Cynthia said, "You want to come with?"

"Are you trying to get rid of me?" Yannick asked.

"Come on, Nick," Cynthia said, "She can't stay angry at you forever."

"I would hardly describe a few hours as forever, Cynthia," Yannick said, "I think it is best if I leave her be for now."

"Your loss," Cynthia said, kissing him on the cheek, "See you later," she added, before to walk away.

Yannick stood there for a while, not really paying attention to anything and just thinking of how he was going to arrange not being in Alex's way at Cynthia and Sean's house. Before he could give it more thoughts however, he felt something rubbing around his legs and looked down. A ginger and white cat was rubbing its back around his legs, and Yannick knew that cat only too well.

"Cassandre!" he exclaimed as he bent to pick the cat up, "What are you doing here girl?" he asked as he held the cat in his arm.

Cassandre meowed and rubbed her hear on his chest, purring.

"Yeah, I'm glad to see you too," Yannick said, "So you managed to escape from where Wena told you to stay huh?"

His cousin's cat had a reputation to be able to get any place she wanted. Yannick had lost count of the times he had found her on his bed in the morning, while he had been certain he had closed the door to his room the night before. Cassandre only purred louder. Yannick chuckled.

"Come on, let's go outside," he said, "then I will bring you back to the Gryffindor common room. If I can find it," he added, before to head towards the grounds.

(*) Russe tuulo' moriloomir = Lightning. A bit long to pronounce but quite powerful and painful for the target.

(**) Tinechor = Elven shielding spell. More powerful than the protego spell.

(***) Vara tel' Seldarine = Protection. Creates a strong barrier that block all but the strongest off spells.

Next: Chapter Seven: End of training

gmhpfan

gmhpfan

master of bamboozlement

• PipPipPip
  • 1,660 posts
a wonderful update sylvain-
i loved the reminisance to darker days and
Sniffs the death of altair
*sobs*
*sobs*
sorry i just cant .....
Poor Altair

g
Posted Image

LaLaLuna

LaLaLuna

Countess Devil Spawn

• 7,537 posts
This was a good chapter.

So the wolf Alex saw was really an apparition/ghost of Altair. . .very good. Altair's death was something I kind of always suspected between a wizard and thier familiars, a connection to the point of a lifeline.

Interesting that the Ravenclaws would be involved in the Rebellion.

All in all, I liked this chapter, the flashback was well intergrated.

Hanna

IKWT!

My Fics

willbo

willbo

.:Snitch Nobody:.

• PipPipPip
  • 1,452 posts
very good read! hurry up with the update :pinch:

2 things im intrigued about - 1. who the mystery long brown haired person is. at first i thought harry seeing as dan radcliffe is getting longer hair now so thought you may have incorporated that. 2. in the mention of the weasley family earlier at the feast, percy wasn't mentioned..... presumably the git is dead.

also, made me laugh heartily when i read hermione's surname :crying:
"What will come, will come and we will face it when it does." - Hagrid
"We are only as strong as we are united, as weak as we are divided." - Dumbledore
"In times of difficulty we must make the choice between what is right and what is easy." - Dumbledore

"Nothing worth having comes easy" - me

Entropist

Entropist

King Of Terrors Forever

• PipPip
  • 562 posts

very good read! hurry up with the update :)

2 things im intrigued about - 1. who the mystery long brown haired person is. at first i thought harry seeing as dan radcliffe is getting longer hair now so thought you may have incorporated that. 2. in the mention of the weasley family earlier at the feast, percy wasn't mentioned..... presumably the git is dead.

also, made me laugh heartily when i read hermione's surname :)

I think I can answer that, Willbo. More exactly, I need to answer that, so I can promote shamelessly my own work :D.
You see, that Reunion thing is a very important part of my first fic posted on the Snitch, "Harry Potter and the Seal of Chaos". So Dumbledore's speech and toast, and a few moments of the evening are in fact excerpts of my fic's third and fourth Chapters. Sylvain and I have decided to join our timeline, so our stories are happening at the same time and basically, what happens in one, has effect on another. So Alwena is a currently a seventh year student in my current fic.
So, to answer your questions:
1. The mysterious man with long brown hair is Alexander Lockenburn, AKA The Entropist, and soon to become one of Harry's best friends. His adventures begin in Seal of Chaos and then he becomes a teacher in Hogwarts.
2. Percy is Dead. It's curious how much the sentence sounds good, lol. Yep, I killed Percy off. Just after the Rebellion you saw in Yannick's memories, Percy, who had warned Harry against it, was murdered by a traitor in the Ministry.

Ok, now that it is cleared up, I need to comment...
That Chapter was excellent, Syl. I liked the flashback. It plunges us right in the middle of the Slytherin Rebellion. I Had only mentioned it as a past event. It is a completely different thing to see it first hand. I really enjoyed it.
Now, I must wait for the next one... you spoke to me about it... I can't wait.

Seeya
ERWAN

Back from the Dead!

My fiction reborn:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users