Welcome to .: The Snitch Harry Potter Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

The Origins of the Wand

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

steve

steve

Raider of the Lost Horcrux

• .:Snitch Members:.
  • PipPip
  • 208 posts
  • I am a:Wizard
  • House:Ravenclaw
THE ORIGINS OF THE WAND:
AN ESSAY

All wizards in the modern Harry Potter universe use wands and incantations to manipulate the magical forces. You may say Harry had controlled magic when he made the glass vanish at the zoo in the Philosopher's/Sorcerer's Stone, but that magic was driven by emotion and occurred by instinct rather will. So I ask why do wizards use wands instead of willing their instinctive magical ability?

THE ORIGINS OF THE WAND:
A THEORY

Magic begins with the first magically gifted person eons ago. This person's life is sprinkled with primitive instinctive magic showings. They soon discover that these oddities are coming from them, either they will embrace their abilities or forsake them, for the purpose of this essay they embrace them. Through many years of mental training they can control the magical forces through complete spiritual means rather than the physical/spiritual means of today. And in so fitting the wise, old, powerful wizard stereotype.

Along comes more people with magical potential to learn from the first. They study under the first Magi the same way the Magi had; through tough trials of their mental strength. Some can't harness their abilities to the fullest extent. They lack focus and understanding. The wisest of the Magi comes up with a solution for these weaker-minded to comprehend the connection between the physical world they were in and the magical realm. And in doing so created the first wand; a way for them to siphon, control, and amplify their abilities through artifacts that possess magical properties to match the abilities of the others that had not needed the wand.

But the wand didn't solve all the problems. Later on even the wand wasn't enough to make them all understand the bridge between magic and the physical. Thus the development of wand waving based on: if I put a physical force on the wand a magical force will come out.

Further on, the development of incantation combined with wand waving helped with the understanding of different spells.

Throughout the generations the art of magical control distanced itself from it's complete mental controlled origins and became replaced with a system of incantation and wand waving.

AN ESSAY (CONTINUED)
Based on this theory I conclude that the wand was developed as a learning tool, not out of necessity. All wizards have the ability to control magic without a wand but the practice of it has been lost through the ages. The wand was gift and a curse. It allowed users to harness the abilities but also dumbed down the art of magical control.

Diablo's Fable: A Death Eater's Story
*Chapter Nine added 07/23/07*

The Origins of the Wand
An Essay

A Quidditch Comedy

You can't cross the road if you don't get out of the kitchen

*Liliana*

*Liliana*

The Storyteller

• .:Snitch Members:.
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6,969 posts
  • I am a:Witch
  • House:Ravenclaw
This is fascinating stuff, Steve. It's so strange, because I have almost the same theory about wandless magic. You've made some astute points, and your development flows logically. Well done. ^___^

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users