Welcome to .: The Snitch Harry Potter Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

DH pt1 Review

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

LaLaLuna

LaLaLuna

Countess Devil Spawn

• .:Forum Moderator:.
  • 7,537 posts
  • I am a:Witch
  • House:Ravenclaw
So if you haven't seen the movie yet, this review is one big *SPOILER*. You've been warned.

With the closing credits I wiped my tears. There are just too many words that could encompass every tumultuous emotion that went through me when the screen went dark. I’ll break down the movie, but to sum it up in one word (because I must), WOW!

This review is a summation of the movie as a whole but broken into sections. I had many favorite parts and lines that touched my heart, but overall this is a summation.

The Prologue

The movie begins with fade to black snippets of what our beloved characters are up to while we listen to the voice over of the new Minister for Magic, Rufus Scrimgeour (whom we see when between aforementioned snippets).

Hermione is the first we see, and she’s home with her parents. And the first of my tears began as she goes down stairs, and calmly wipes her presence from the minds and hearts of her parents. It’s a little disturbing to watch the Granger’s faces go blank and the pictures erase. And with one glance back Hermione walks out of her home leaving them and everything that was safe.

Next we see the house on Privet Drive. This was a little disappointing in that we see Vernon and Dudley shoving things into their car, while Petunia sits inside the car quietly and just a little desperately clutching her handbag. And Harry watches them from the window (more on that later).

Then there’s Ron. We start inside the Burrow where Mrs. Weasley goes about daily chores with Ginny’s assistance. And outside Ron stands alone staring as if waiting for whatever’s to come.

Next of course, is Malfoy Manor. Everyone sits at the dining table waiting. For whom, we don’t know until Snape Apparates in and proceeds to fully commit to his patented “badass” walk as he strides through the gates and front door of the Manor. He pauses in the doorway and takes a quiet breath as he notices the Muggle Studies teacher hanging half dead from being tortured. He mentally shakes off what it is he’s feeling (giving nothing away) and gives report.

The Malfoy’s sit meekly, his time in Azkaban has not been good to Luicus at all, at their table as Voldemort, sitting in the position of power, the head, listens and then decides what is to happen next. After he gives the Death Eaters his instructions of obtaining Harry, only then does he give the hanging teacher his attention. He berates her and with careless thought, kills the woman as she begs Severus to remember their friendship. As she lies dead on the table, her last single tear falls before she is consumed.

The Beginning

After the prologue which is separated by the Deathly Hallows title sequence, the story begins.

Harry is alone in Number Four. He sits alone with his things strewn about his room with no idea what he’s about. Is he going to sit in the dark and wait, or is he going to get up, out and DO something? Then we see him at the foot of the stairs with Hedwig staring at the cupboard door. The door where it all began. Pulling the string, the light comes on. His little tin soldiers left forgotten where his younger self had obviously left them. All words needed, were spoken through Dan’s expression.

Enters “Mad-Eye” Moody and the hilarious ‘Seven Potters’ scene takes places. Dan does an excellent imitation of every last one of his “copies”. The girls, in particular were funny simply because of the feminine mannerisms. Everyone steps out onto Privet Drive, and the action begins!

The chase scene is great! Death Eaters swarm in like Dementors and converge on the seven Potters and their guards. Everyone gets separated, but we, of course follow the real Harry and Hagrid. The zooming in and out of traffic and the camera angles keep you tangled in it all. Crashes seem to come right at you! And then as a true familiar, Hedwig appears from nowhere (Harry had released her early on) to save Harry.

Scenes followed the book pretty closely after that. Everyone arrives at The Burrow (Andromeda Tonks was written out), and we learn how everyone fairs. Not much time is spent here and things progress quickly. The reading of Dumbledore’s will, the wedding and the attack happen in the space of seven to ten minutes.
Before you can blink Harry, Ron and Hermione are now on their own.

They stop in the café to figure a plan of action, such as where to go from that moment. They end up at Grimmauld Place. Here we get reacquainted with Kreacher and the awesome Dobby shows up (in a pair of fabulous red high-top sneakers).
After an intense run-in with Death Eaters at the Ministry, the Trio start their trek with one Horocrux, but no idea of how to destroy it.

The Middle

Mostly made up of hiding and moving, the Trio huddles together and with help from the Horocrux their friendship slowly deteriorates. Brilliantly acted, Rupert pulls the audience into Ron’s quiet jealousy, annoyance and slight distrust toward Harry with climaxes into a fight that quite frankly, in the book had me in tears, but here had me angry for what I knew was to come.

Ron leaves, and Harry and Hermione are on their own. There was a sweet interlude with Harry and Hermione that makes you smile, and helps ease the hurt Hermione experiences when Ron abandons them.

An emotional visit to Godric’s Hollow ends in as we all know a scary narrow escape.

The escape bridges to the return of Ron, and the destruction of the locket. The FX created to show the insides of the Horocrux were amazing. A dark twisted matter spews from within and it simply amazing!

The visit to the Lovegood home was great in that the story of the Brothers was told through fantastic animation. I thought they would use actors, but this way was excellent and actually beautiful.

The End

The ending begins with the capture of the Trio. We see the Snatchers again. We see them throughout the movie, and I must say in the book I thought they were a bit comical, not so in the movie. In the movie they were dirty, frightening and shiver-inducing men. They were really scary and individuals I hope never to meet. The actors who played them did very well.

Back at the Malfoy Manor, Emma has some intense moments with Helena as Bellatrix tortures Hermione. Helena is simply the best! Brilliantly unhinged, she makes this character one to cheer for even though you know it’s wrong.

My favorite character Luna makes her first real appearance here in the Malfoy cellar with the other captives; Mister Ollivander, Griphook.

Dobby makes a big hero in tiny shoes (just LOVED the shoes!). We all knew/know what was coming but it doesn’t make things any easier. He has the most beautiful lines upon the arrival at Shell Cottage. “A lovely place to be amongst friends…” And that’s all I want to say about that.

Final scene is Voldemort, whom we see in the flesh for the first time since the beginning. Up until now we see him through visions Harry has due to their link. He’s found Grinwald and has broken into Dumbledore’s crypt.

By the time the screen goes to black it really does not feel two and a half hours have passed. Even the lags held the audience and moved the story along.

Every single actor stepped up their game. Things that had begun to irk me about Emma’s performance (ex. breathy executed lines or stolen lines from other characters) were gone. Finally, Rupert was able to show his abilities for drama instead of comic relief (though I’ve heard in part two he is phenomenal). And Dan is comfortable in his Harry suit and it fits well.

IKWT!

Beginnings:The Great Purification~by Liliana Muddied Black Blood~by Nicola
My Fics
Riddle and Secrets ~ Coming Full Circle ~ Living Memories ~ The Sorting of Priorities
Luna's Loss ~ A Summer's Day ~ Who Would Have Thought ~ Wilted Flower ~ Spring in the Air

McDiablo

McDiablo

.:Slurpee-a-holic:.

• .:Snitch Members:.
  • PipPipPip
  • 985 posts
Great plot summary! I'm still digesting everything and remembering random details, but I enjoyed reading this.

I LOVED the use of animation to tell the story of the Three Brothers. I thought that was great. We haven't seen anything like that in a HP film. I thought the animation worked great to tell the story in an interesting way, but the style matched it, too.

The effects used when the locket opens were some of my favourite in the film! I was simultaneously in awe, but terrified!

There are little things I could nitpick about, but I'm not going to because, really, I liked the movie and (curses!) can't wait for Part 2. Eight months better go by reasonably quick...

P.S.: Luna is my favourite character, too, and every time she was onscreen...it was awesome. Love Luna!

LaLaLuna

LaLaLuna

Countess Devil Spawn

• 7,537 posts
Thank you. I was worried about doing a summation as opposed to a straight out review.

There's so much that I loved about the movie too, an I wanted to include them but couldn't type fast enough, lol! Little things like Ron touching Hermione in subtle ways (and her liking when he did). Or Hermione ready to punch Mary's lights out at the Ministry for kissing Ron. I loved the dance between friends with Hermione and Harry. Have I mentioned Dobby's shoes? LOL! Loved them, makes me think he swiped them from a toddler on the street, that's just snarky enough of him for me to imagine such a thing.

And like I said, there were things that irked me, but the movie was so good as a whole I was able to overlook them and simply enjoy.

I think my mouth stood open the entire locket scene! It WAS amazingly scary!

You know why I like Luna so much? She, in the books and movies, is a balm. She's the breath of fresh air in chaos. She, believe it or not is more grounded than she appears on the surface. Some look at her as comic relief, and she is, but when you think about she's so much more.

IKWT!

My Fics
Riddle and Secrets ~ Coming Full Circle ~ Living Memories ~ The Sorting of Priorities
Luna's Loss ~ A Summer's Day ~ Who Would Have Thought ~ Wilted Flower ~ Spring in the Air

briseis09

briseis09

Fanfiction Reader

• Validating
  • PipPip
  • 128 posts
  • I am a:Muggle
  • House:Slytherin
It was quite the Film. Very well done and extremely emotional from beginning to end!

The one thing I was uncomfortable with was the locket scene. I had to look away as with Harry, Ron and Hermione; they feel very much like My Own Set of Children. So, I couldn't and wouldn't watch that little scene with Harry and Hermione in. I don't even know what really happened; except I had my Hubby whispering to me. I had to tell him to 'Be Quiet' with my eyes. Lol!

But, very well written review! You have quite a good memory as to how the movie flowed. I focused more on the emotional bit of the movie, then with the scenes or visuals.

Are you the one who wrote The Fanfiction, 'Coming in Full Circles' or something like that? I still need to finish reading it. I think I got somewhere to the 6th or 7th Chapter. Can I still find that here on The Snitch?

I haven't been around in a long time; but, am trying to see if I can make some time; however late into the night it is for me. Life has a funny way of being busy. Lol!

Thank you for sharing your review. I was glad for a playback of the Film. :)

---------------------------------------------

hpslytherinpride00032_zps6dbb0be5.jpg

113LJBriseis09sFanfictions_zps41832e43.j

---------------------------------------------

LaLaLuna

LaLaLuna

Countess Devil Spawn

• 7,537 posts
Hey there, Arlene. Yes, I'm the writer of "Coming Full Circle". It's great you want to start it up again. I'm now at chapter 45...46 or something, so you've got lots to catch up on, lol!

The only thing I didn't like about the Harry and Hermione locket kiss, is that it got sloppy. I mean it started decent enough, but I think at some point it was Ron projecting how far his twisted image of a possible Harry and Hermione could be. I wasn't really bothered by it. Actually I was a little entranced by the silver paint/makeup the two had on. It made things very ethereal and kind of hard to look away, lol. Thanks for liking and replying to the review/recap.

IKWT!

My Fics

siriuslyprongs

siriuslyprongs

.:Towel Boy/Girl:.

• .:Snitch Members:.
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • House:Slytherin
I totally have to agree with your review. When I first heard that they were planning on making two movies for DH, I was literally bouncing off the walls from excitement. I'm sad that some scenes were left out, but it was great the way it was. I had nothing to complain about, and found that I couldn't wait for part two. Thank you for putting into words what I cannot!

"You know, Minister, I disagree with Dumbledore on many counts...but you cannot deny he's got style..." - Phineas Nigellus
"Greatness inspires envy, envy engenders spite, spite spawns lies. You must know this, Dumbledore." - Lord Voldemort
"Naturally. Never saw one without the other, did you? The number of times I had them in here -- ooh, they used to make me laugh. Quite the double act, Sirius Black and James Potter!" - Madam Rosmerta
“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” - Albus Dumbledore
"The time is long gone when I could frighten you with a burning wardrobe and force you to make repayment for your crimes. But I wish I could, Tom...I wish I could." - Albus Dumbledore

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users